Liberace plays Bix on Liberace's Tv show

Liberace plays Bix on Liberace's Tv show

Linda
Linda

November 5th, 2009, 4:01 am #1

I would like to see this Tv show that is for sale on ebay. Check out the item description. Does it actually say that Liberace plays the trumpet on this show in Bix's style? I would like to hear that. I didn't know that Liberace played the trumpet. I thought he only played piano.

http://cgi.ebay.com/16mm-THE-LIBERACE-S ... _500wt_945

Rob Rothberg
Rob Rothberg

November 6th, 2009, 5:17 pm #2

Linda, I've never seen the clip, but according to information in the WPA Film Library's website http://www-wpafilmlibrary.mediarecall.n ... dba16.html), that part of the show consists of Liberace lip-synching someone else's trumpet playing on St. Louis Blues.

Linda
Linda

November 7th, 2009, 1:43 am #3

Thanks for that information. Liberace lip synching to someone else playing St. Louis Blues is definitely different than the description in the ebay listing of Liberace playing the trumpet in Bix's style. Perhaps the person selling the film added that embellished description to add to the salability of the item. The title the seller gave the item, "16mm THE LIBERACE SHOW 1950s plays Bix Beiderbecke" was obviously done to reach Bix collectors. Still it would be interesting to see and hear Liberace "Talks about his column and reads from it about one of his heroes, Bix Beiderbecke."

As long as I am here check out this photo of Bix and a friend:

Lisa Ryan
Lisa Ryan

November 7th, 2009, 8:15 pm #4

Linda -

What's the story with the photo?
When? Where? Who?
Any info?
Just curious!
Lisa

mkaroub
mkaroub

November 8th, 2009, 12:36 am #5

is Bix visiting north shore Chicago -winnetka maybe? his pal sid stewart in this pic-?
actually sid's aunt's hse , Sid's hse is in Flint MI -which Bix once gave as an address but doesnt seem to have actually stayed there--
sid stewart related to Charles stewart Mott foundation--

in Lyons book?

mk

Laura Demilio
Laura Demilio

November 8th, 2009, 3:17 am #6

Linda -

When? Where? Who?
Any info?
Just curious!
Lisa
Hey hey ladies, that picture appearas in the Evans and Evans book --the friend is John Doolittle. It was taken in the autumn of 1921 at Lake Forest Academy. Where did you get such a clear, fabulous print of this, Linda? It's fantastic! The actual photo, isn't it? What a treasure.

Looking forward to more great YouTube treats, Lisa.

Let's all chat soon --

Laura

mkaroub
mkaroub

November 8th, 2009, 4:07 am #7

Linda -

When? Where? Who?
Any info?
Just curious!
Lisa
my post didnt post....(?)
Is this in Lyons book?
re photo...I think Bix is visiting Sid Stewart's aunt in Winnetka or some Chi north shore suburb..Evanston (?)-memory eludes me ....
stewart fam home still exists in Flint MI(charity Charles stewart Mott Sid's family
although Bix asked his folks to write to him care of stewart Avon St Flint possible he never stayed there...

Linda
Linda

November 8th, 2009, 4:19 am #8

Linda -

When? Where? Who?
Any info?
Just curious!
Lisa
The photo looks like it could be from 1922 and taken on the grounds of Lake Forest Academy. Maybe Bix with one of his friends from the academy. Tim has an identification of the other person in the photo as someone named Doolittle but he doesn't have a source for it. I have looked up that name in Evans and Evans and Man and Legend and no one by that name is in the index. Has anyone seen this picture before?

mkaroub
mkaroub

November 8th, 2009, 5:02 am #9

my post didnt post....(?)
Is this in Lyons book?
re photo...I think Bix is visiting Sid Stewart's aunt in Winnetka or some Chi north shore suburb..Evanston (?)-memory eludes me ....
stewart fam home still exists in Flint MI(charity Charles stewart Mott Sid's family
although Bix asked his folks to write to him care of stewart Avon St Flint possible he never stayed there...
- I got(nearly) everything wrong..save for general location of Chicagoland...
what a fantastic picture Linda--not common at all.
evans/evans book not at hand..

Linda
Linda

November 8th, 2009, 5:27 am #10

Hey hey ladies, that picture appearas in the Evans and Evans book --the friend is John Doolittle. It was taken in the autumn of 1921 at Lake Forest Academy. Where did you get such a clear, fabulous print of this, Linda? It's fantastic! The actual photo, isn't it? What a treasure.

Looking forward to more great YouTube treats, Lisa.

Let's all chat soon --

Laura

Yes, the picture is on page 79 of Evans and Evans but cropped and I should have recognized it but I didn't because the full picture is not in Evans and Evans. Tim was right that the friend was named Doolittle. Tim sent out xeroxes of this picture years ago and that is probably the source of the picture in Evans and Evans. Poor quality in the book because made from a xerox copy.