jimmy dorsey

jimmy dorsey

hal smith
hal smith

June 11th, 2017, 7:41 am #1

jimmy is gone 60 years ago tomorrow https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.c ... r&GRid=291

James Kidd
James Kidd

June 11th, 2017, 2:34 pm #2

When the Dorsey Brothers appeared at the Rancho Don Carlos in Winnipeg in the early 1950s, I cut classes from university for a week to be their 'gopher' just to be able to see and hear them night after night. Tommy was a sour guy, rarely smiled, rehearsing the band EVERY afternoon. Jimmy was a real gentleman, took the time to answer all my dumb questions, telling me some great stories. One day during that week he appeared at the club looking very upset. Years later we discovered that it was in Winnipeg that he was diagnosed with cancer.

James Kidd
James Kidd

June 12th, 2017, 11:32 pm #3

That should read the 'mid 50s'

David Sager
David Sager

June 18th, 2017, 4:18 am #4

When the Dorsey Brothers appeared at the Rancho Don Carlos in Winnipeg in the early 1950s, I cut classes from university for a week to be their 'gopher' just to be able to see and hear them night after night. Tommy was a sour guy, rarely smiled, rehearsing the band EVERY afternoon. Jimmy was a real gentleman, took the time to answer all my dumb questions, telling me some great stories. One day during that week he appeared at the club looking very upset. Years later we discovered that it was in Winnipeg that he was diagnosed with cancer.
Can you recall some of Jimmy's responses to your questions?

James Kidd
James Kidd

June 18th, 2017, 4:42 am #5

No, wish I could be more helpful. I had just bought a copy of Delauney's discography and was overwhelmed to be spending every night with both the Dorseys! The first real life jazzmen I ever met! I really had no idea what to ask Jimmy (Tommy was so gruff and sour that I actually tried not to get too close to him) but I'm sure my questions to Jimmy were so naive and dumb as to hardly warrant answers. The last night of the weeklong date was the night that Tommy showed he had a softer side with a gesture to me that made up for all his stand-offish demeanour. One of my greatest memories but that's a story for another time.

David Sager
David Sager

June 18th, 2017, 5:43 pm #6

Well I am all ears when you ave a moment to tell it!