Jean Goldkette and Leroy Shield

Jean Goldkette and Leroy Shield

July 9th, 2012, 1:37 pm #1

July 9th, 2012, 2:32 pm #2

According to Rust, Paul Van Loan was an arranger for Jean Goldkette. I have not seen Van Loan's name cited  in any Bix biography. Does anyone know anything about Van Loan arranging for Goldkette?

Van Loan had a band in the 1920s and recorded dozens of sides. According to Rust, his last recording session was on Nov 30, 1925. Three sides were recorded and Red Nichols is supposed to be  in the band. The three sides were <em>Cross My Heart, Mother; Pretty Little Baby; and Heading for Louisville.</em>

Van Loan was a member of the Arnold Johnson band on Feb 16, 1928 when the band recorded one of may favorite songs, <em>After My Laughter Came Tears</em>. Other members of the band were Jack Purvis, Mickey Bloom and ?Pete Pumiglio.

<a href="http://bixbeiderbecke.com/aftermylaught ... n.mp3"></a>

bixbeiderbecke.com/aftermylaughterjohnson.mp3

Albert
Last edited by ahaim on July 9th, 2012, 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 9th, 2012, 3:00 pm #3

Josh Duffee
Josh Duffee

July 9th, 2012, 4:32 pm #4

Hi Albert,

Here are some answers pertaining to your post about the various Goldkette items:

1. Goldkette/Shield Piano Duet with Book-Cadillac Hotel Orchestra: When I was visiting New York City around Memorial Day, my wife and I stayed with Vince and Carol. I asked Vince about these recordings and if he knew anything about them. He didn't know anything about them, so he sent off an e-mail to his friend who could look into it for us. I don't think he's heard back yet because I haven't heard anything yet.

What is neat about this too is that Leroy Shield did a recording session with Paul Mertz on the same day in Chicago, 9/30/1926, after he did the session with Goldkette. Here is what I know from the Victor Recordings website:

BVE 36437 - Cover Me Up With Sunshine - Piano Duet w/Shield and Mertz
Take 4 is on Hold, Takes 1,2,3 and 5 were destroyed

BVE 36436 - I've Got A Girl - Piano Duet w/Shield and Goldkette
Takes 1 and 2 Destroyed, Take 3 Hold, Take 4 Master/destroyed, Take 5 Hold

It will be neat when Vince and I can find out if a master still exists! I would LOVE to hear Leroy Shield and Goldkette doing a piano duet, was well as Mertz and Shield!

2. Goldkette/Van Loan : I do know that Paul Van Loan did arranging for the Goldkette Orchestra in the late 20's and early 30's before Jean had to entirely break up the group due to the stock market crash. I have the interview with some of the Goldkette musicians when they were in California visiting with Jean and his wife, Lee, in 1939. Jean talks to Paul Van Loan on the interview, and says that he loved hearing him play saxophone in his orchestra. It's only a 2-3 minute conversation with Paul since there are other guys waiting to speak to Jean on tape.

3. Goldkette/Greta and Leroy : The story that Greta had told me about Leroy Shield was that she was dating him while they were in Chicago. She was with the Goldkette unit based out of the Drake Hotel. She told me that Leroy would come over to her place after he was done working in the Victor studios in Chicago, and he would walk in the door carrying a heap of records. She asked him, "Where did you get all those records?" He replied with an answer that went something like this: "We had a great day at the studio today, but we weren't going to use all the recordings that we made, so I thought I'd bring them over and give them to you." When I interviewed Greta, I asked her if she still had the recordings, which she replied with an answer of No. I did give her a 78 of the two recordings she made with the Goldkette Orchestra. Before the three ladies were "Jean Goldkette's Three Shades of Blue," they were know as Wynken, Blynken and Nod.

Hope that answers some of the questions pertaining to Goldkette and the names given in the post. We'll see you in a few weeks for the Bix Festival here in Davenport, which is going to be another fantastic festival!

Sincerely Yours,

Josh Duffee

vince giordano
vince giordano

July 9th, 2012, 5:03 pm #5

We know about Greta Woodson as vocalist in the post-Bix Goldkette band (Just Imagine and Are You Coming Up Tonight). Before she recorded with Godlkette, Greta made dozens of recordings as soloist accompanied by piano. Guess who the pianist was? Yes, Leroy Shield.

Albert
I got to talk a bit with Greta [thanks to Josh Duffee for giving me her number]. Greta dated Leroy for awhile and she even went to the family home [in Iowa at that time] to meet his parents...and I guess talk about marriage !
Roy got busier and started traveling and they did not stay in touch. She told me she had no knowledge of him doing all the music for the Hal Roach shorts. She was a delightful lady to talk to..I was lucky !

July 9th, 2012, 5:26 pm #6

Hi Albert,

Here are some answers pertaining to your post about the various Goldkette items:

1. Goldkette/Shield Piano Duet with Book-Cadillac Hotel Orchestra: When I was visiting New York City around Memorial Day, my wife and I stayed with Vince and Carol. I asked Vince about these recordings and if he knew anything about them. He didn't know anything about them, so he sent off an e-mail to his friend who could look into it for us. I don't think he's heard back yet because I haven't heard anything yet.

What is neat about this too is that Leroy Shield did a recording session with Paul Mertz on the same day in Chicago, 9/30/1926, after he did the session with Goldkette. Here is what I know from the Victor Recordings website:

BVE 36437 - Cover Me Up With Sunshine - Piano Duet w/Shield and Mertz
Take 4 is on Hold, Takes 1,2,3 and 5 were destroyed

BVE 36436 - I've Got A Girl - Piano Duet w/Shield and Goldkette
Takes 1 and 2 Destroyed, Take 3 Hold, Take 4 Master/destroyed, Take 5 Hold

It will be neat when Vince and I can find out if a master still exists! I would LOVE to hear Leroy Shield and Goldkette doing a piano duet, was well as Mertz and Shield!

2. Goldkette/Van Loan : I do know that Paul Van Loan did arranging for the Goldkette Orchestra in the late 20's and early 30's before Jean had to entirely break up the group due to the stock market crash. I have the interview with some of the Goldkette musicians when they were in California visiting with Jean and his wife, Lee, in 1939. Jean talks to Paul Van Loan on the interview, and says that he loved hearing him play saxophone in his orchestra. It's only a 2-3 minute conversation with Paul since there are other guys waiting to speak to Jean on tape.

3. Goldkette/Greta and Leroy : The story that Greta had told me about Leroy Shield was that she was dating him while they were in Chicago. She was with the Goldkette unit based out of the Drake Hotel. She told me that Leroy would come over to her place after he was done working in the Victor studios in Chicago, and he would walk in the door carrying a heap of records. She asked him, "Where did you get all those records?" He replied with an answer that went something like this: "We had a great day at the studio today, but we weren't going to use all the recordings that we made, so I thought I'd bring them over and give them to you." When I interviewed Greta, I asked her if she still had the recordings, which she replied with an answer of No. I did give her a 78 of the two recordings she made with the Goldkette Orchestra. Before the three ladies were "Jean Goldkette's Three Shades of Blue," they were know as Wynken, Blynken and Nod.

Hope that answers some of the questions pertaining to Goldkette and the names given in the post. We'll see you in a few weeks for the Bix Festival here in Davenport, which is going to be another fantastic festival!

Sincerely Yours,

Josh Duffee
Indeed, it would be great if test pressings of the Goldkette-Shield recordings could be found. Let's cross our collective fingers!

Yes, looking forward to the Bix Festival. Will be there from We Aug 1, to Mo Aug 6. See you and the magical town soon.

Albert

One more question, if I may.

According to the Orlando Sentinel Jan 30, 1987, "In 1927 [CHARLES WOLCOTT] joined the Jean Goldkette band, playing piano and scoring music for such members of the band as Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey. He later arranged for Paul Whiteman, Benny Goodman and the Dorsey brothers after they left Goldkette." Not mentioned in Bix biographies.

Here is an obituary.

<div class="mod-nytimesarticleheader mod-articleheader"><h1>Charles F. Wolcott, 80, Disney Film Composer</h1></div><div style="float:right;" class="area"><div class="mod-nytimessocialmedia mod-socialmedia"><div class="articleTools"><div class="box"><div class="inset"></div></div></div></div><div class="mod-nytimesadnytimes"><center></center></div></div><div class="mod-nytimesarticletext mod-articletext">
<strong></strong>Charles Fredrick Wolcott, a music composer and arranger who worked with Walt Disney Studios and is credited with bringing rock-and-roll to the screen, died Wednesday. He was 80 years old.

Mr. Wolcott was born in Flint, Mich. In 1927, he joined the Jean Goldkette band, playing piano and scoring music for Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey. He became an arranger for Paul Whiteman, Benny Goodman and the Dorsey brothers. Mr. Wolcott also arranged music for radio stars Rudy Vallee, George Burns and Gracie Allen.

He joined Walt Disney in 1934 and during his 10 years there wrote songs for or arranged film scores of ''The Reluctant Dragon,'' ''Bambi,'' ''Saludos Amigos,'' ''The Three Caballeros,'' ''Song of the South,'' ''Make Mine Music!'' and ''Fun and Fancy Free.''

He went to Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer in 1950 and is credited with bringing rock-and-roll to the motion picture screen, prevailing on the producer of the film ''The Blackboard Jungle'' to incorporate Bill Haley's recording of ''Rock Around the Clock'' into the film. Mr. Walcott also scored that 1955 movie.
</div>
Any confirmation of his connection to Goldkette?

July 9th, 2012, 7:51 pm #7

Obituary in the Los Angeles Times.
<div class="mod-latarticlesarticleheader mod-articleheader"><h1>Charles Wolcott; Musician, Baha'i Leader</h1></div><div class="mod-latarticlessocialmedia mod-socialmedia"><div></div><div></div><div class="addthis_toolbox addthis_default_style"><span class="pmPrintIcon"></span></div><div class="area"><div class="mod-latarticlesarticletext mod-articletext">
Charles Wolcott, whose diverse interests carried him from a stint as a jazz pianist to composing and conducting film scores at Walt Disney and Metro Goldwyn Mayer studios and then most recently to the ruling council of the Baha'i religious faith, is dead.

His longtime friend and associate, composer-conductor John Green, said Wednesday that the composer of "I'm a Reluctant Dragon," the love theme from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" and the title song from "Saludos Amigos" died in Haifa, Israel, on Monday.
<div class="mod-latarticlesarticletext mod-articletext">
<strong>Working in Israel</strong>

Wolcott had been working in Israel in connection with his position as a member of the Universal House of Justice of Baha'i, the international governing body of the faith that teaches the oneness of God and the progressive character of revelation through prophets.

Wolcott's metamorphosis to spiritual leader had taken him a long way from the University of Michigan and "Charley Wolcott and His Wolverines," the college band he started while a student there in 1924-27.

In 1927, he joined the old Jean Goldkette band, playing piano and scoring music for such fabled members of that group as Bix Beiderbecke, Joe Venuti and Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey.

Next, he became an arranger for Paul Whiteman, then Benny Goodman and finally the Dorsey brothers, when they broke away from Goldkette.

<strong>Joined Green's Band</strong>

He joined Green when that composer of "Body and Soul" and five-time Academy Award winner was fronting his own band.

Wolcott then went to radio, arranging for Al Jolson, George Burns and Gracie Allen and Rudy Vallee.

It was after moving to Hollywood to score Vallee's radio show that he joined Walt Disney. He wrote songs for or arranged the film scores of "The Reluctant Dragon," "Bambi," "Saludos Amigos," "The Three Caballeros," "Song of the South" and "Fun and Fancy Free."

Wolcott went to Metro Goldwyn Mayer in 1950 and succeeded Green as general music director in 1958. While there, he was credited with introducing rock-and-roll to the motion picture screen, prevailing on the producer of "Blackboard Jungle" to incorporate Bill Haley's recording of "Rock Around the Clock" into the 1955 film that Wolcott also scored.

<strong>Leadership Posts</strong>

Wolcott, who Green called "a man of great spiritual proportions," left the studios in 1960 to devote full time to the U.S. Baha'i Assembly, which had elected him national secretary. In 1961, he was elected to the faith's International Council and moved to Haifa where, two years later, he was named to the governing Universal House of Justice.

He was buried in Haifa soon after his death in keeping with Baha'i beliefs and is survived by his wife, Harriett, two daughters and several grandchildren.
</div></div></div>

The film "Blackboard Jungle" is famous among Bixophiles because the math teacher brings Bix records to his class and the juvenile delinquents in the class throw around Bix's records and shatter them into pieces!!!!

Albert

Alan Matheson
Alan Matheson

July 9th, 2012, 11:11 pm #8

Charles Wolcott also wrote a number of arrangements for the Paul Whiteman orchestra including the excellent "It's Only A Paper Moon" arrangement that featured a short but wonderful Bunny Berigan solo on the the Whiteman 1933 recording. His works for the Whiteman band are at Williams College.
Here's a link:
http://archives.williams.edu/pwc/wolcott.php

July 10th, 2012, 11:36 am #9

According to Rust, Paul Van Loan was an arranger for Jean Goldkette. I have not seen Van Loan's name cited  in any Bix biography. Does anyone know anything about Van Loan arranging for Goldkette?

Van Loan had a band in the 1920s and recorded dozens of sides. According to Rust, his last recording session was on Nov 30, 1925. Three sides were recorded and Red Nichols is supposed to be  in the band. The three sides were <em>Cross My Heart, Mother; Pretty Little Baby; and Heading for Louisville.</em>

Van Loan was a member of the Arnold Johnson band on Feb 16, 1928 when the band recorded one of may favorite songs, <em>After My Laughter Came Tears</em>. Other members of the band were Jack Purvis, Mickey Bloom and ?Pete Pumiglio.

<a href="http://bixbeiderbecke.com/aftermylaught ... n.mp3"></a>

bixbeiderbecke.com/aftermylaughterjohnson.mp3

Albert
.... yours truly in Dec 2008! Michael M reminds me of the following "Crozier is George Crozier, a trombonist/arrranger and a member of the early Goldkette band. According to Stan Kuwik (IAJRC Journal, Jan 1989) Crozier replaced Paul Van Loan as trombonist (late 1923) and he, in turn, was replaced by Tommy Dorsey (early 1924) as Crozier's responsibilities were shifted to arranger." From

http://www.network54.com/Forum/27140/message/1228851592

Thanks, Michael.

Albert

July 10th, 2012, 12:56 pm #10

Charles Wolcott also wrote a number of arrangements for the Paul Whiteman orchestra including the excellent "It's Only A Paper Moon" arrangement that featured a short but wonderful Bunny Berigan solo on the the Whiteman 1933 recording. His works for the Whiteman band are at Williams College.
Here's a link:
http://archives.williams.edu/pwc/wolcott.php
.... arrangements by Wolcott was "The King of Jazz Medley." Here are several different versions.

Alfredo  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr7dp5_HPPI

Regal Cinema Orchestra and Organ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ltRxqLWD0w

Midnight Minstrels (Debroy Somers) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZBjWdCB ... ted&search

I did not find a recording by Paul himself. Is there one?

Albert
Last edited by ahaim on July 10th, 2012, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.