Jack Mollick

Jack Mollick

June 7th, 2012, 4:51 pm #1

Trumpeter Jack Mollick was mentioned a few times in the Forum. Enter <em>Jack Mollick </em>(no quotation marks) in the search function. You will find eight postings.

I am grateful to Rikki Wolin, Jack's granddaugther, for preparing, with the help of some of her realtives, a page for Jack. I just uploaded it to the main Bixography website. Here is the link:

http://bixbeiderbecke.com/JackMollick.html

One of the fascinating features of jazz and dance band musicians of the 1920s is what we have called here the iceberg effect, 10 % known, 90 % submerged in the unknown past. Jack Mollick is a good example. If we only had recorded output and jazz discographies, we would have stated that Jack make a number of recordings in the 1920s with Fred Hall, and that would be all. Thanks to the internet and to Jack's granddaughter Rikki, we now know about Jack's distinguished career in the the 1930s and 1940s.

Albert

PS One of the postings mentions that Ray Mitchell in his Eddie Lang discography gives Mannie Klein, Jack Mollick, tpts for the Nov 23, 1931 Bing Crosby recording of <em>Where the Blue of the Night</em>. Any further news about this? If confirmed, I will add this piece of information to Jack's webpage.

Rob Rothberg
Rob Rothberg

June 7th, 2012, 7:20 pm #2

Albert, Ray Mitchell (p. 311-12) includes Mollick in the following November 23, 1931 recordings: Bennie Krueger's "She's So Nice" and "Why Did It Have to be Me" (Br 6222, BrE 1260, BrG A9193) and "Bing's Where the Blue of the Night" (Br 6226 and elswhere). Need more detail?

June 7th, 2012, 7:43 pm #3

I have Mitchell's Lang discography. Yes, he lists Jack Mollick in the Nov 23, 1931 session. Rust's Dance band discography only lists an approximate instrumentation, but no names.

I wonder what some of the specialized Bing discographies in reissue CDs specify about the musicians in Bing's recording of <em>Where the Blue of the Night.</em>

Albert