Irene

Irene

August 25th, 2011, 11:48 pm #1

The local weathermen predict that Irene will hit Long Island. It is very likely that power failures will be wide spread on the island. Most power lines are on telephone poles and there are lots of trees in the area. Don't be surprised if I go silent on Saturday. I have an old generator whcih I think I can get to work, but will use the power for the "essentials," refrigerator and water heater.

Albert
Last edited by ahaim on August 26th, 2011, 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob Rothberg
Rob Rothberg

August 26th, 2011, 9:47 pm #2

As Mr. Armstrong said, "I've got my fingers crossed" for you.

August 26th, 2011, 10:24 pm #3

.... a direct hit on Long Island. We'll know more tomorrow.

We went through Gloria about 16 years ago. A tree fell on the house and we lost electric power for 8 days. That's when I decided to buy a generator. I have not used it for a long time as power failures have only lasted a few seconds in recent years. I think I can get it to start after a bit of cleaning of various vital parts. We shall see.

Albert

If interested in Gloria, read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Gloria

August 26th, 2011, 10:31 pm #4

I just heard that  evacuations of communites within a few miles from where we live have been made mandatory, whatever that means. I am certainly not leaving my home.

Albert

August 30th, 2011, 2:09 pm #5

The local weathermen predict that Irene will hit Long Island. It is very likely that power failures will be wide spread on the island. Most power lines are on telephone poles and there are lots of trees in the area. Don't be surprised if I go silent on Saturday. I have an old generator whcih I think I can get to work, but will use the power for the "essentials," refrigerator and water heater.

Albert
Using the wireless at the university. My neighborhood was devastated. I count a dozen trees down within a few hundred feet from my house. A transformer blew up, wires brought down by trees. No action from the power company. It looks like days before power is restored. I run the generator a couple of hours a day.

Albert

Forum Owner

Alberta
Alberta

August 30th, 2011, 7:39 pm #6

Hope you're back to normal soon! Thanks for all your good work!

Laura Demilio
Laura Demilio

August 31st, 2011, 1:37 am #7

Using the wireless at the university. My neighborhood was devastated. I count a dozen trees down within a few hundred feet from my house. A transformer blew up, wires brought down by trees. No action from the power company. It looks like days before power is restored. I run the generator a couple of hours a day.

Albert

Forum Owner
It's all over the national news how bad the results of the storm disaster are, and that so very many people are without power. Hopefully you'll have it back soon, and despite the worrisome -- and downright disconcerting -- inconvenience of no electricity, at least you're all right, Albert, and I'm glad you posted. We had a bad seige too during the huge snowstorm of February 2010; much of Pittsburgh lacked power for a couple of days. There's always that dangling query of "What if. . . ?" "When are they going to get the power running again?" "How long will we have to wait?" A scary, troublesome mess to wait out-- it's ALWAYS too long.

Hang in there; hoping for the best for you & a quick restoration.

Laura

Richard Iaconelli
Richard Iaconelli

August 31st, 2011, 3:22 am #8

Albert

Forum Owner
Albert, I hope things will improve for you soon. Philadelphia had some
flooding and 600 street trees down, but seems to have dodged the worst of it.
Many others are not so lucky. New Jersey still has 300,000 without power.
Amazing how life can change dramatically when a simple thing like an electric
line goes down.

August 31st, 2011, 2:17 pm #9

Albert

Forum Owner
Thanks to all who wrote.

So far, the only action I saw was a car with LIPA (Long Island Power Authority) employees driving by and "assessing the damage." LIPA promised to have everyone back on line by Friday at midnight. I'm not counting on it. I am still running my generator a couple of hours a day. My property is about 90 % clean. All I have left is a huge piece in the backyard. I saw small pieces at a time so I can move them.

So far so good. At least, I take my wife out for dinner everyday. Lots of excellent restaurants in this area. And so far the weather has been gorgeous.

Will report tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Albert

September 1st, 2011, 3:15 pm #10

Albert

Forum Owner
Just checking in with an update. No action from LIPA. Cables lying on the ground, trees leaning against overhead cables. No prospects for a quick solution.

Albert