In What Section of the Davenport Democrat and Leader Was Bix's Interview Published?

In What Section of the Davenport Democrat and Leader Was Bix's Interview Published?

February 11th, 2010, 1:11 am #1

Glenda writes in Brendan's blog, <em>"Since we all probably concur that this article was intended for the "society" rather than the "fine arts" section of the newspaper, questions about the celebrity bandleader and working in that famous orchestra would be a likely major focus of any such interview."</em>

I am afraid not. I looked up the Feb 10, 1929 (Sunday) issue of  the Davenport Democrat and Leader. The paper came in four sections.

Section 1. Not labelled. The main section, news - local, national, international. Included society pages.

Section 2. Labelled "Autos, Radio News."

Section 3. Labelled "Theatres, Editorial." It was the arts section with news about films, music, theatre, books, etc.

Section 4. Labelled "Sports, Markets and Classified."

Bix's interview was on page 1 of part 3, the arts section.

Albert

PS As a joke a forumite wrote off line, "There was no interview at all. The reporter concocted the story by stringing together pieces plagiarized from articles and books and what was known about Bix."

Glenda
Glenda

February 11th, 2010, 2:10 am #2

Good research! Thanks for clearing up that question. I stand corrected.

Did the interview article have a by-line? Did the paper have an identified editor for that section? There might be something to be learned from that knowledge.

February 11th, 2010, 3:15 am #3

Here is the complete page with the interview.

Albert

February 11th, 2010, 3:53 am #4

Gerri, I wonder if you would be kind enough to research this question.

In 1964, the Davenport Democrat and Leader and the Davenport Daily Times combined operations and became the Times Democrat. I believe that in 1974 the paper was renamed the Quad City Times.

Is it possible that the QC Times still has records and files from 1929? If so, would they have the name of the reporter assigned to interview Bix? And perhaps what other stories he wrote? There is no question in my mind that the interview was carried out by a reporter who had access to Niles' interview (very likely available in the newspaper morgue). Another question. Would the QC Times still have the articles kept in the morgue of the defunct Davenport Democart and Leader?

Gerri, I hope this is not too much trouble.

Albert

Ken Bristow
Ken Bristow

February 11th, 2010, 10:34 am #5

Last year J.P.Lion, on answering one of my e-mails regarding this subject, informed me that extensive research had failed to discover who the reporter was, if any, who visited Bix for the "Musical Humor" interview. Regarding all the articles on the front page of section three, I notice only one carries the journalist's name . . . Hermon More in column four.

Gerri Bowers
Gerri Bowers

February 11th, 2010, 2:23 pm #6

Gerri, I wonder if you would be kind enough to research this question.

In 1964, the Davenport Democrat and Leader and the Davenport Daily Times combined operations and became the Times Democrat. I believe that in 1974 the paper was renamed the Quad City Times.

Is it possible that the QC Times still has records and files from 1929? If so, would they have the name of the reporter assigned to interview Bix? And perhaps what other stories he wrote? There is no question in my mind that the interview was carried out by a reporter who had access to Niles' interview (very likely available in the newspaper morgue). Another question. Would the QC Times still have the articles kept in the morgue of the defunct Davenport Democart and Leader?

Gerri, I hope this is not too much trouble.

Albert

All papers on file from mid 1800's to October 2009, no journalists listed until mid 1950's.

February 11th, 2010, 2:32 pm #7

Last year J.P.Lion, on answering one of my e-mails regarding this subject, informed me that extensive research had failed to discover who the reporter was, if any, who visited Bix for the "Musical Humor" interview. Regarding all the articles on the front page of section three, I notice only one carries the journalist's name . . . Hermon More in column four.
.... "Who was the mystery reporter?" I must admit I did not remember it. Here is the link

http://www.network54.com/Forum/27140/me ... 251131844/

Albert

February 11th, 2010, 2:40 pm #8

All papers on file from mid 1800's to October 2009, no journalists listed until mid 1950's.
I wonder if Jim Arpy would know the names of likely reporters who could have been assigned the job of interviewing Bix. When did Jim start working for the newspaper? Would the reporter who did the interview be still alive and working for the paper when Jim was hired?

I apologize for insisting. Could the QCTimes still have old records of the names of all the reporters working for the Davenport Democrat in 1929? Would they still have old papers from the morgue?

Albert
Last edited by ahaim on February 11th, 2010, 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 11th, 2010, 2:58 pm #9

.... "Who was the mystery reporter?" I must admit I did not remember it. Here is the link

http://www.network54.com/Forum/27140/me ... 251131844/

Albert

.... is mentioned in the interview. We had a great thread on the subject beginning with

http://www.network54.com/Forum/27140/message/1174139629

Albert

February 11th, 2010, 3:16 pm #10

Here is the complete page with the interview.

Albert

.... from Bix's interview of Feb 10, 1929. Here is what is left.

<em><strong>Leon "Bix" Beiderbecke, who is convalencing [sic] from a recent illness at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. B. H. Beiderbecke, 1934 Grand avenue.</strong></em>

<em><strong>And "Bixie," as his friends all call him, should know! For a year and a half he has played with the king of jazz orchestra on Whiteman's special concert tour and filled every little niche and cranny with catch-as-catch-can tricks of melodic figures and spent hours in the recording library of phonograph and music companies recording his own compositions.</strong></em>

<em><strong>"Bixie," as his boyhood gang called him, practically grew up with music. His grandfather, the late Charles Beiderbecke, was a composer and pianist of no little fame, and his mother, before her marriage, was organist at the First Presbyterian church in </strong></em><em><strong>Davenport.</strong></em>

<em><strong>Music was in the air at the Beiderbecke home! "Bixie" took piano lessons for a time from two local instructors, not more than a score in all. </strong></em>

<em><strong>After completing his course at Lake Forest, he enrolled in the school of music at the State University of Iowa. Here he droned, "one, two, three, four" on the piano while he transposed and translated notes and melodies into orchestral scores.</strong></em>

<em><strong>With his "huddle system," came the desire to start an orchestra and in the fall of 1925, he organized a motley crowd of ex-collegiates and called them the "Wolverines."</strong></em>

<em><strong>From Chicago to New York the itinerant orchestra played. Later looking for new and lucrative fields to conquer, "Bixie" played for six months with Charlie Straight's orchestra in Chicago and three years with Gene [sic] Goldkette's band in Detroit, which broadcast programs over WGN.</strong></em>

<em><strong>It was on one of the musical tours of that organization that Paul Whiteman heard him play and urged him to join his orchestra. But contracts are contracts and not until his contract was up did he make the change.</strong></em>

<em><strong>Since joining Whiteman's orchestra "Bixie" has played one of the three concert pianos besides being a cornetist, and director of one of the Whiteman orchestras.</strong></em>

<em><strong>Among the most recent compositions are "Thou Swell," "Tu Tan Elegante," and "In a Mist," in which Bixie is featured in a piano solo.</strong></em>

<em><strong>"We have great times traveling about," he said -- the "boys" are airplane crazy and movie-shy. We have a new Travelair plane and several are learning to pilot.</strong></em>

<em><strong>"Might come in handy sometimes," he laughed, "in case we oversleep and miss the train, but we're generally on time. In fact, one time we were a bit ahead of the Uptown theatre in Chicago and the curtain went up without warning. "Be nonchalant!" was employed and we picked up our instruments and started to play."</strong></em>

Albert
Last edited by ahaim on February 11th, 2010, 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.