Important Dates in March

Important Dates in March

February 28th, 2011, 6:02 pm #1

Last edited by ahaim on February 28th, 2011, 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Laura Demilio
Laura Demilio

February 28th, 2011, 7:02 pm #2

I've got a wallopping dopey Davenport Library question -- I peeked on-line at all of these lavish, modern, splashy new buildings for the municipal public library system of Davenport, and am aching in wonder: was the old library building in the same location as current main branch, and what did it look like? (Gerri, if it's in your/Rich's book, I apologize for overlooking.)

Yes yes, I'm wondering if and how often Bix as a kid and a teen might have sprinted up library steps to either got some books for pleasure reading or at least give a sturdy impression sometimes of working on school assignments. . . .

Plus I admittedly have sort of a thing for really old libraries. You've heard my musty-book saga before. Any fun info to impart, Davenporters?

Laura

Jim Petersen
Jim Petersen

February 28th, 2011, 8:43 pm #3

The downtown library which Bix would have used, a Dale Carnegy (sp) donation, was torn down and replaced in the late 60's or so. So, no, he wouldn't have used the new library - in fact we have two other new libraries in town now also. The downtown branch is the one that houses the Bix Beiderbecke Room that contains a lot of Bix info.
On Tuesday March 8th, at the newest library building at 6000 Eastern Avenue, there will be a Bix Birthday Bash. The Bix All Star band, led by the very talented and colorful Kirk Prybl will perform at 11:30 A. M. to 1:00 P. M. Hot Dogs and lemonade and coffee are available very reasonably, and birthday cake is free as is the concert!
Yes, we know Bix's birthday is on the 10th of March, we schedule this local bash early so those who wish to attended the birthday bash in Racine, Wisconsin can attend both functions.
For those that have stayed in the Clarion, head east on 53rd to the 3rd light, that will be Eastern Avenue. Turn left and proceed north on Eastern for about a half mile to the library. We will be in the big room behind the coffee shop!

Best wishes to all Bix fans!
Jim Petersen

February 28th, 2011, 10:43 pm #4

Laura Demilio
Laura Demilio

March 1st, 2011, 12:15 am #5

The downtown library which Bix would have used, a Dale Carnegy (sp) donation, was torn down and replaced in the late 60's or so. So, no, he wouldn't have used the new library - in fact we have two other new libraries in town now also. The downtown branch is the one that houses the Bix Beiderbecke Room that contains a lot of Bix info.
On Tuesday March 8th, at the newest library building at 6000 Eastern Avenue, there will be a Bix Birthday Bash. The Bix All Star band, led by the very talented and colorful Kirk Prybl will perform at 11:30 A. M. to 1:00 P. M. Hot Dogs and lemonade and coffee are available very reasonably, and birthday cake is free as is the concert!
Yes, we know Bix's birthday is on the 10th of March, we schedule this local bash early so those who wish to attended the birthday bash in Racine, Wisconsin can attend both functions.
For those that have stayed in the Clarion, head east on 53rd to the 3rd light, that will be Eastern Avenue. Turn left and proceed north on Eastern for about a half mile to the library. We will be in the big room behind the coffee shop!

Jim Petersen
For the info -- so it is Dale Carnegie (a businessman? the author of How to Win Friends and Influence People)? who donated the library and not Andrew Carnegie, the infamous Pittsburgh steel mill magnate/robber baron and philanthropist who founded and was benefactor of libraries in the United States during the 1890's? At any rate I don't know if Andrew Carnegie's tentacles would have reached as far as Iowa and the greater midwest; there were Carnegie libraries in New York, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and I believe New England, but Cleveland, Ohio had its own library system publicly funded by each local county.

Re: Davenport, just wondering if perhaps it could be "that" Carnegie. . . .

Very interesting -- I'd like to dig into some photos of the old place if available!

Laura

Laura Demilio
Laura Demilio

March 1st, 2011, 12:27 am #6

Jim Petersen
He was everywhere! Ubiquitous!

Now, don't get me wrong, philanthropy is good and what could be more noble than to be benefactor to a string of libraries? The thing is, ol' Andy was so drenched with bloody guilt because of all the union riots he quashed in Pittsburgh and Homestead in the 1890's -- ordered workers killed by the national guard and so forth. He hastily atoned by putting up this library and that, and beautiful buildings they were, with community recreation centers in some of them - Braddock had a bowling alley, indoor swimming pool, basketball court, underground bathhouse for the mill workers, theater & music hall, as did several of the other oldest Pgh branches -- but workers who had been oppressed under his violent regime were so resentful that many refused to utilize this gift and forbade their children to do so, which seems a shameful waste unless one understands the questionable auspices under which the places were founded. Of course, outside of Pittsburgh there does not exist that blood-drenched bitterness so I'd think city residents elsewhere in the U.S. really enjoyed their Carnegie libraries, and those buildings really are gorgeous.

I'll see what I can look up. . . .

Laura

March 1st, 2011, 12:57 am #7

Last edited by ahaim on March 1st, 2011, 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jamaica
Jamaica

March 1st, 2011, 1:15 am #8

For the info -- so it is Dale Carnegie (a businessman? the author of How to Win Friends and Influence People)? who donated the library and not Andrew Carnegie, the infamous Pittsburgh steel mill magnate/robber baron and philanthropist who founded and was benefactor of libraries in the United States during the 1890's? At any rate I don't know if Andrew Carnegie's tentacles would have reached as far as Iowa and the greater midwest; there were Carnegie libraries in New York, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and I believe New England, but Cleveland, Ohio had its own library system publicly funded by each local county.

Very interesting -- I'd like to dig into some photos of the old place if available!

Laura
Laura, we had (and still have) a Carnegie Library in Trinidad, Colorado, (the town closest to where I grew up.) It was built somewhere around around 1906... can't remember the exact date, anymore.

Joe Mosbrook
Joe Mosbrook

March 1st, 2011, 1:34 am #9

Laura
There are more than 100 Carnegie libraries in Ohio including eight in Cleveland.

Josh Duffee
Josh Duffee

March 1st, 2011, 2:49 am #10