Gennett Custom Photography

Gennett Custom Photography

Brad Kay
Brad Kay

March 7th, 2011, 11:42 pm #1

Lookit all these pictures taken in the Gennett studio: The Wolverines. Bix and his Rhythm Jugglers. Hitch's Happy Harmonists with Hoagy. Ladd's Black Aces, from the New York studio. I've read that for a nominal fee they had a photographer at the ready for any artist who wanted his picture took. How many of these pictures exist? King Oliver? NORK? If we dug a little, would we find shots of Bernie Cummins and his Toadstool Inn Orch.? Art Landry's Call of the North Orchestra? Walt Anderson's Golden Pheasant Hoodlums? The 100 Per Cent Americans from the KKK?

Inquiring minds and all.

Brad K

March 8th, 2011, 12:25 am #2

Described as William Jennings Bryan recording his "Cross of Gold Speech."

<a href="http://www.waynet.org/nonprofit/images/ ... t.jpg"></a>

Albert

Last edited by ahaim on March 8th, 2011, 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 8th, 2011, 12:51 am #3

Lookit all these pictures taken in the Gennett studio: The Wolverines. Bix and his Rhythm Jugglers. Hitch's Happy Harmonists with Hoagy. Ladd's Black Aces, from the New York studio. I've read that for a nominal fee they had a photographer at the ready for any artist who wanted his picture took. How many of these pictures exist? King Oliver? NORK? If we dug a little, would we find shots of Bernie Cummins and his Toadstool Inn Orch.? Art Landry's Call of the North Orchestra? Walt Anderson's Golden Pheasant Hoodlums? The 100 Per Cent Americans from the KKK?

Inquiring minds and all.

Brad K
Discussed in the forum

http://www.network54.com/Forum/27140/me ... ucky+Seven

the  studio in New York.

Albert
Last edited by ahaim on March 8th, 2011, 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brad Kay
Brad Kay

March 9th, 2011, 5:14 am #4

Described as William Jennings Bryan recording his "Cross of Gold Speech."

<a href="http://www.waynet.org/nonprofit/images/ ... t.jpg"></a>

Albert

Wow, no kidding. That's "The Great Commoner," all right, and his strings. Now we can see how the Gennett recording horns were deployed: The little one was for vocals or featured instrumental solos; the big one was for everybody else. This is an oblique camera angle, different from the familiar full-frontal Gennett band poses; we get a good look at the left wall, for what that's worth.

This is a good peek at what acoustical recording was about. You had to speak, sing or play into the horn as if it was a slightly deaf maiden aunt using her ear trumpet. What a difference when electrical recording came in.

There must be a trove of these Gennett studio photos waiting in a trunk somewhere... "Original Memphis Melody Boys," anyone?

-Brad K

March 9th, 2011, 4:24 pm #5

Last edited by ahaim on March 9th, 2011, 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Laura Demilio
Laura Demilio

March 9th, 2011, 7:44 pm #6

I better barge in and ask them now about obtaining next month's issue, Albert. Eager to read that article -- but if you'll have it on Bixography I can get it from there. . . .

Laura

March 9th, 2011, 9:04 pm #7

.... to be published before I upload my articles to the Bixography website. Wait a few days, and I will upload. The article is scheduled to be published in the first (March) issue of 2011. I hope the Journal comes in tomorrow, in time to honor Bix on his birthday!

Albert