Frank Teschemacher on CD

Frank Teschemacher on CD

Evan MacBeth
Evan MacBeth

May 19th, 2012, 9:09 am #1

Well, after a few month's work on and off, here it is, as promised: CD and digital issues of Frank Teschemacher. Here goes.

McKENZIE & CONDON'S CHICAGOANS

W-82030-A - Sugar
W-82031-B - China Boy
W-82082-B - Nobody's Sweetheart
W-82083-A - Liza

Available on "Jazz From The Windy City", Timeless CBC1-021. Out of print, but downloadable from online music stores including iTunes and 7digital. Perfectly good transfers, very happy with them.
Also available on Eddie Condon - The Classic Sessions Volume 1: Making Friends - JSPCD906A (which is now unfortunately also out of print). The transfers on JSPCD906A are definitely fresh transfers, made from different discs as those used for "Jazz From The Windy City", the surfaces are generally less grainy sounding, the transfers a little brighter, but the trade off is a short scrape (sounds for 4 turns) in China Boy during Jimmy McPartland's solo that isn't heard on Jazz From The Windy City. I'd prefer the JSPCD906A transfers if you can find them easily, as they're just that bit better than those found on CBC1-021. Both sets are the work of John RT Davies, but he must have found better discs in the intervening years.

CHARLES PIERCE & HIS ORCHESTRA

20399-1 - Bull Frog Blues
20400-3 - China Boy
20469-5 - Jazz Me Blues
20470-7 - Sister Kate
20534-2 - Nobody's Sweetheart

Available on Jazz From The Windy City, Timeless CBC1-021. Out of print on CD, but downloadable from online music stores including iTunes and 7digital. (NB: Jazz From The Windy City includes both the Altier/Bercov and Spanier/Feige/Teschemacher versions of Jazz Me Blues and Sister Kate). Very good transfers, John RT Davies has these Paramounts sounding as good as they can, without much extraneous noise.

NB: The CD of "Jazz From the Windy City" has the takes mislabled. The track order listed on the slick is:

7. Jazz Me Blues -3 (Altier/Bercov)
8. Sister Kate -4 (Altier/Bercov)
9. Jazz Me Blues -5 (Muggsy/Tesch)
10. Sister Kate -7 (Muggsy/Tesch)

but on the actual disc it is

7. Jazz Me Blues -5 (Muggsy/Tesch)
8. Sister Kate -7 (Muggsy/Tesch)
9. Jazz Me Blues -3 (Altier/Bercov)
10. Sister Kate -4 (Altier/Bercov)

The takes are easily identified by 1) the much higher standard of playing on the Muggsy & Tesch takes (everyone is far more confident, and the tempos are faster) and 2) Jack Read's trombone, present on the Muggsy/Tesch takes but absent on the Altier/Bercov takes. The download on the iTunes store is as listed for the disc, but the takes are not labelled.

CHICAGO RHYTHM KINGS

C-1885-A - There'll Be Some Changes Made
C-1886-A - I've Found A New Baby

Both available on "Jazz From The Windy City", Timeless CBC1-021 and Eddie Condon - The Classic Sessions Volume 1: Making Friends - JSPCD906A. Sounds like the same discs were used for the transfer as "Jazz From The Windy City", but the EQ is a little brighter and "brassier" on the JSP disc. Both transfers seem a touch flat to my ear, and raising them by 1.10% set them right for me (1.10% is the difference between 78.26 and 79.12 RPM). This seemed to help more than just the pitch, to my ear the rhythm section just seems that bit more insistent with the speed raised that little bit. I've certainly got used to the faster version now, and the CDs seem sluggish.

JUNGLE KINGS

20563-2 - Friar's Point Shuffle
20564-2 - Darktown Strutters' Ball

Both available on "Jazz From The Windy City", Timeless CBC1-021 and Eddie Condon - The Classic Sessions Volume 1: Making Friends - JSPCD906A. The same discs were used for both CD sets (there are telltale "thuds" in identical positions), but the EQ is a little brighter on the JSP disc. However on these poorer quality Paramount recordings this verges on shrill, so I would lean towards the Jazz from The Windy City transfers. This however presents a slight issue, as both sides are a little flat in pitch to my ear on Jazz from The Windy City, and in correct pitch and speed on the JSP disc. In this case you'd have to make a decision: slightly shrill and in pitch or easier on the ear and flat (or alternatively speed the Jazz From The Windy City transfers up by 1.5% if you know how to do that [1.49% if you must])

FRANK TESCHEMACHER'S CHICAGOANS

C-1906-A Jazz Me Blues

Available on Eddie Condon - The Classic Sessions Volume 1: Making Friends - JSPCD906A. The same disc was used for the transfer as "Jazz From The Windy City" (there are telltale clicks in identical positions), but the EQ is a little duller on the JSP disc, and frankly sounds a little better for it - less distortion. Again, this runs a smidge faster (and as such sharper), and in correct pitch on the JSP disc.
Aside: does anyone have any idea if the original Brunswick test pressing of this still exists? This transfer sounds a lot like the UHCA 61 dub to my ears.

CHICAGO/LOUISIANA RHYTHM KINGS

C-1907-B Baby Won't You Please Come Home

Available on Jazz From The Windy City, Timeless CBC1-021. Out of print, but downloadable from online music stores including iTunes and 7digital.
Aside: does anyone have any idea if the original Brunswick test pressing of this still exists? This transfer sounds significantly better than the transfer of Jazz Me Blues to my ears.

MIFF MOLE AND HIS LITTLE MOLERS

W-400849-C - One Step To Heaven
W-400850-A - Shim-Me-Sha-Wabble

Available on "Slippin Around: Volume 1", Frog Records DGF19. In print as at March 2012. Superb transfers by John RT Davies. Not much more needs to be said!

EDDIE CONDON'S QUARTET

W-400899-A - Oh Baby
W-401035-A - Indiana

Available on "All Star Jazz Quartets: Disc B", JSP925B and Eddie Condon - The Classic Sessions Volume 1: Making Friends - JSPCD906A. Unsuprisingly these have the same digital source - the waveforms line up perfectly and remain in perfect synchronisation throughout - but the version on "Making Friends" has been EQd a little brighter, and something in the process has made the left and right channels slightly different - stereo digital EQ processing perhaps? I'm not saying there's been any kind of fake stereo processing attempted, far from it. But something in the digital chain has caused a very slight difference between the channels. I favour the "Making Friends" version, due to the slightly kinder EQ, but there is nothing at all wrong with the "All Star Jazz Quartets" version at all. Both are excellent transfers by John RT Davies. If you're making a compilation of your own and are using the "Making Friends" version, convert the stereo tracks to mono first.

DORSEY BROTHERS ORCHESTRA

W-401169-B - Round Evening
W-401170-B - Out Of The Dawn

Available on "The Dorsey Brothers Volume 1", Jazz Oracle BDW 8004. In print as at March 2012. Excellent transfer by John RT Davies. There's a slight swish on both tracks, but maybe that was on the master, who knows. I've never heard a 78 of these sides so i'm in no position to judge. It doesn't take away from the music at all.

THE BIG ACES

W-401171-A Cherry
W-401171-B Cherry
W-401171-C Cherry

The most difficult to track down by far!

Take -A was nigh on impossible to find on CD - The transfer on "Classic Jazz Vol 061" made for difficult listening to my ears, as did the couple of versions on the iTunes store (not summed to mono, poor transfers etc.) The best version I could find online was Emrah's version on youtube - even with a bit of digital noise in the background this transfer has more respect for to the music than any other I've heard. Head over to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tlWqDFVMv8 for this and raise the quality to 480p, and i'm sure you can finf a way of obtaining the audio from YouTube videos if you look hard enough online.

For my compilation I tracked down a near store stock copy of Parlophone R2541 and transferred it. I'm now on the hunt for a good Okeh or other laminated pressing to improve my transfer.

Take -B is available on "Tommy Dorsey: The Sentimental Gentleman Of Swing Centennial Collection", Bluebird/Legacy 82876711672. I believe this may be out of print but it's still available on the UK and USA iTunes store (but sadly not my local Australian itunes store, and to get it on the USA iTunes store you need to shell out $25 for all 70 tracks). It was transferred by either Matt Cavaluzzo or Harry Coster from an Okeh test pressing, and it sounds like a little noise reduction has been used - but it is not overdone at all and the utmost respect has been paid to the music. A fine transfer.

My favoured version of Take -C was from "The Chocolate Dandies 1928-33" Disques Swing/DRG CDSW 8448, which appears to be out of print. This is an older transfer, probably made from the best copy of Parlophone R-365 or A-2654 that could be located at the time. Appears to have been transferred before the advent of digital noise reduction - which means that while there are more crackles than you'd expect on a modern transfer, one could possibly add a low pass filter or perform further processing on this transfer (for your own listening, of course). Very respectful to the music, but slightly hampered by technological deficiencies at the time of transfer. There's no remastering credit on this. As with Take A, the versions available in online stores make for difficult listening.

If you have trouble telling the three takes apart, the easiest way is to listen to the band re-entry after Tesch's tenor sax solo. On Take -A, it's messy - nobody is really ready for it, and the band don't enter together. On Take -B, the timing is better, but either Tommy Dorsey or Nat Natoli hits the note too hard and slips up to the higher harmonic for a moment (I'd guess Dorsey as Natoli's the more experienced trumpeter, but this is just a guess. Please please please correct me if I'm wrong). On Take -C, they all nail it.

Finally, it's a shame that none of these takes were included in the Jazz Oracle Dorsey Brothers discs - I know it's not technically the Dorsey Brothers Orch playing, but it's very close to it. I guess it was decided that they fell outside of the scope of the set, and if the CDs were full, then Cherry would have to be the first to go. Unfortunately it's not on the Frog Records McKinney's Cotton Pickers set either - which doesn't surprise me, as in terms of musicians it's closer to the Dorseys than the Pickers. It's just unfortunate that this group being neither one nor the other, it hasn't shown up on CDs of either.

WINGY MANONE AND HIS CLUB ROYALE ORCHESTRA

C-2682-B - Trying To Stop My Crying
C-2683 - Isn't There A Little Love

Available on "The Wingy Manone Collection Vol. 1, 1927-1930", Collectors Classics COCD-03. Out of print, but downloadable from online music stores including iTunes (UK ONLY) and 7digital (worldwide). On 7digital the album is called "Complete Jazz Series 1927 - 1934". Exactly the same digital source has been used - again, the waveforms line up perfectly and remain in perfect synchronisation throughout - but the iTunes version has been mastered a smidge (less than 3 dB) louder. Excellent transfer by John RT Davies.

Strangely, the version on "Wingy Manone and His Orchestra 1927-1934", Classics 774 also lines up perfectly well with the above transfers. I can't say 100% what transfers have been appropriated from where as I don't have a CD copy of COCD-03 as a definite point of reference.
Finally, these transfers all seemed a smidge flat - speeding them up by 1.10% put them right for me.

TED LEWIS AND HIS BAND

W-148930-3 - Farwell Blues
W-148931-4 - Wabash Blues

Available on "The John RT Davies Collection Volume 1: Disc B, Ted Lewis", JSP940B. Fine John RT Davies transfers. There's a slight defect in the transfer on my CD right on the barline between the 5th and 6th full bar of Lewis' first solo in Wabash Blues - whether it's my CD, the digital master, Mr Davies' disc or the original master disc I don't know, but I hear it every time unfortunately. These transfers seem a little sharp - lowering them by 2.13% (the difference between 78.26 and 76.60 RPM) put them right to my ear. I know this seems like quite a bit, and interestingly for a Columbia it's slower than 78.26. Off the top of my head the Bix & his Gang/Trumbauer Orchestra Okeh session from 25/10/1927 is similarly slow.

ELMER SCHOEBEL AND HIS FRIAR'S SOCIETY ORCHESTRA

C-4559-C Copenhagen
C-4560-A Prince Of Wails

These sides are also included on "Jazz From The Windy City", Timeless CBC1-021. Another source for this is "The White Hot Batch", Frog DGF 76, as remastered by Nick Dellow. The Frog version is cleaner, mastered a little louder (3-4 dB, compared with both files normalised of course), and a little sharper/faster - the White Hot Batch version is the correct pitch, the Jazz From The Windy City version is a touch flat. I'd lean towards the Frog version.
Aside: Upon close listening, can I hear Dick Feige quoting Bix's solo from the Wolverine's Copenhagen behind Karl Berger's Guitar solo, or are my ears playing tricks on me?

THE CELLAR BOYS

C-5308-A Wailing Blues
C-5308-B Wailing Blues
C-5309-A Barrel House Stomp
C-5309-B Barrel House Stomp
C-5309-C Barrel House Stomp

Available on Jazz From The Windy City, Timeless CBC1-021. Out of print on CD, but downloadable from online music stores including iTunes and 7digital. Fine John RT Davies transfers, with slightly varying top end, obviously depending on what sources of each take Mr Davies had to work with.

Phew!

May 19th, 2012, 12:30 pm #2

Very useful and significant compilation!!

Tesch is one of my favorites 1920s musician. A young, enterprising man/woman ought to build a website for Tesch. Tesch was not even 26 when he died. WBIX # 20 was devoted entirely to Tesch. Here is the link.

http://bixography.com/wbix20.ram

Albert

Emrah Erken
Emrah Erken

May 20th, 2012, 5:57 am #3

Well, after a few month's work on and off, here it is, as promised: CD and digital issues of Frank Teschemacher. Here goes.

McKENZIE & CONDON'S CHICAGOANS

W-82030-A - Sugar
W-82031-B - China Boy
W-82082-B - Nobody's Sweetheart
W-82083-A - Liza

Available on "Jazz From The Windy City", Timeless CBC1-021. Out of print, but downloadable from online music stores including iTunes and 7digital. Perfectly good transfers, very happy with them.
Also available on Eddie Condon - The Classic Sessions Volume 1: Making Friends - JSPCD906A (which is now unfortunately also out of print). The transfers on JSPCD906A are definitely fresh transfers, made from different discs as those used for "Jazz From The Windy City", the surfaces are generally less grainy sounding, the transfers a little brighter, but the trade off is a short scrape (sounds for 4 turns) in China Boy during Jimmy McPartland's solo that isn't heard on Jazz From The Windy City. I'd prefer the JSPCD906A transfers if you can find them easily, as they're just that bit better than those found on CBC1-021. Both sets are the work of John RT Davies, but he must have found better discs in the intervening years.

CHARLES PIERCE & HIS ORCHESTRA

20399-1 - Bull Frog Blues
20400-3 - China Boy
20469-5 - Jazz Me Blues
20470-7 - Sister Kate
20534-2 - Nobody's Sweetheart

Available on Jazz From The Windy City, Timeless CBC1-021. Out of print on CD, but downloadable from online music stores including iTunes and 7digital. (NB: Jazz From The Windy City includes both the Altier/Bercov and Spanier/Feige/Teschemacher versions of Jazz Me Blues and Sister Kate). Very good transfers, John RT Davies has these Paramounts sounding as good as they can, without much extraneous noise.

NB: The CD of "Jazz From the Windy City" has the takes mislabled. The track order listed on the slick is:

7. Jazz Me Blues -3 (Altier/Bercov)
8. Sister Kate -4 (Altier/Bercov)
9. Jazz Me Blues -5 (Muggsy/Tesch)
10. Sister Kate -7 (Muggsy/Tesch)

but on the actual disc it is

7. Jazz Me Blues -5 (Muggsy/Tesch)
8. Sister Kate -7 (Muggsy/Tesch)
9. Jazz Me Blues -3 (Altier/Bercov)
10. Sister Kate -4 (Altier/Bercov)

The takes are easily identified by 1) the much higher standard of playing on the Muggsy & Tesch takes (everyone is far more confident, and the tempos are faster) and 2) Jack Read's trombone, present on the Muggsy/Tesch takes but absent on the Altier/Bercov takes. The download on the iTunes store is as listed for the disc, but the takes are not labelled.

CHICAGO RHYTHM KINGS

C-1885-A - There'll Be Some Changes Made
C-1886-A - I've Found A New Baby

Both available on "Jazz From The Windy City", Timeless CBC1-021 and Eddie Condon - The Classic Sessions Volume 1: Making Friends - JSPCD906A. Sounds like the same discs were used for the transfer as "Jazz From The Windy City", but the EQ is a little brighter and "brassier" on the JSP disc. Both transfers seem a touch flat to my ear, and raising them by 1.10% set them right for me (1.10% is the difference between 78.26 and 79.12 RPM). This seemed to help more than just the pitch, to my ear the rhythm section just seems that bit more insistent with the speed raised that little bit. I've certainly got used to the faster version now, and the CDs seem sluggish.

JUNGLE KINGS

20563-2 - Friar's Point Shuffle
20564-2 - Darktown Strutters' Ball

Both available on "Jazz From The Windy City", Timeless CBC1-021 and Eddie Condon - The Classic Sessions Volume 1: Making Friends - JSPCD906A. The same discs were used for both CD sets (there are telltale "thuds" in identical positions), but the EQ is a little brighter on the JSP disc. However on these poorer quality Paramount recordings this verges on shrill, so I would lean towards the Jazz from The Windy City transfers. This however presents a slight issue, as both sides are a little flat in pitch to my ear on Jazz from The Windy City, and in correct pitch and speed on the JSP disc. In this case you'd have to make a decision: slightly shrill and in pitch or easier on the ear and flat (or alternatively speed the Jazz From The Windy City transfers up by 1.5% if you know how to do that [1.49% if you must])

FRANK TESCHEMACHER'S CHICAGOANS

C-1906-A Jazz Me Blues

Available on Eddie Condon - The Classic Sessions Volume 1: Making Friends - JSPCD906A. The same disc was used for the transfer as "Jazz From The Windy City" (there are telltale clicks in identical positions), but the EQ is a little duller on the JSP disc, and frankly sounds a little better for it - less distortion. Again, this runs a smidge faster (and as such sharper), and in correct pitch on the JSP disc.
Aside: does anyone have any idea if the original Brunswick test pressing of this still exists? This transfer sounds a lot like the UHCA 61 dub to my ears.

CHICAGO/LOUISIANA RHYTHM KINGS

C-1907-B Baby Won't You Please Come Home

Available on Jazz From The Windy City, Timeless CBC1-021. Out of print, but downloadable from online music stores including iTunes and 7digital.
Aside: does anyone have any idea if the original Brunswick test pressing of this still exists? This transfer sounds significantly better than the transfer of Jazz Me Blues to my ears.

MIFF MOLE AND HIS LITTLE MOLERS

W-400849-C - One Step To Heaven
W-400850-A - Shim-Me-Sha-Wabble

Available on "Slippin Around: Volume 1", Frog Records DGF19. In print as at March 2012. Superb transfers by John RT Davies. Not much more needs to be said!

EDDIE CONDON'S QUARTET

W-400899-A - Oh Baby
W-401035-A - Indiana

Available on "All Star Jazz Quartets: Disc B", JSP925B and Eddie Condon - The Classic Sessions Volume 1: Making Friends - JSPCD906A. Unsuprisingly these have the same digital source - the waveforms line up perfectly and remain in perfect synchronisation throughout - but the version on "Making Friends" has been EQd a little brighter, and something in the process has made the left and right channels slightly different - stereo digital EQ processing perhaps? I'm not saying there's been any kind of fake stereo processing attempted, far from it. But something in the digital chain has caused a very slight difference between the channels. I favour the "Making Friends" version, due to the slightly kinder EQ, but there is nothing at all wrong with the "All Star Jazz Quartets" version at all. Both are excellent transfers by John RT Davies. If you're making a compilation of your own and are using the "Making Friends" version, convert the stereo tracks to mono first.

DORSEY BROTHERS ORCHESTRA

W-401169-B - Round Evening
W-401170-B - Out Of The Dawn

Available on "The Dorsey Brothers Volume 1", Jazz Oracle BDW 8004. In print as at March 2012. Excellent transfer by John RT Davies. There's a slight swish on both tracks, but maybe that was on the master, who knows. I've never heard a 78 of these sides so i'm in no position to judge. It doesn't take away from the music at all.

THE BIG ACES

W-401171-A Cherry
W-401171-B Cherry
W-401171-C Cherry

The most difficult to track down by far!

Take -A was nigh on impossible to find on CD - The transfer on "Classic Jazz Vol 061" made for difficult listening to my ears, as did the couple of versions on the iTunes store (not summed to mono, poor transfers etc.) The best version I could find online was Emrah's version on youtube - even with a bit of digital noise in the background this transfer has more respect for to the music than any other I've heard. Head over to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tlWqDFVMv8 for this and raise the quality to 480p, and i'm sure you can finf a way of obtaining the audio from YouTube videos if you look hard enough online.

For my compilation I tracked down a near store stock copy of Parlophone R2541 and transferred it. I'm now on the hunt for a good Okeh or other laminated pressing to improve my transfer.

Take -B is available on "Tommy Dorsey: The Sentimental Gentleman Of Swing Centennial Collection", Bluebird/Legacy 82876711672. I believe this may be out of print but it's still available on the UK and USA iTunes store (but sadly not my local Australian itunes store, and to get it on the USA iTunes store you need to shell out $25 for all 70 tracks). It was transferred by either Matt Cavaluzzo or Harry Coster from an Okeh test pressing, and it sounds like a little noise reduction has been used - but it is not overdone at all and the utmost respect has been paid to the music. A fine transfer.

My favoured version of Take -C was from "The Chocolate Dandies 1928-33" Disques Swing/DRG CDSW 8448, which appears to be out of print. This is an older transfer, probably made from the best copy of Parlophone R-365 or A-2654 that could be located at the time. Appears to have been transferred before the advent of digital noise reduction - which means that while there are more crackles than you'd expect on a modern transfer, one could possibly add a low pass filter or perform further processing on this transfer (for your own listening, of course). Very respectful to the music, but slightly hampered by technological deficiencies at the time of transfer. There's no remastering credit on this. As with Take A, the versions available in online stores make for difficult listening.

If you have trouble telling the three takes apart, the easiest way is to listen to the band re-entry after Tesch's tenor sax solo. On Take -A, it's messy - nobody is really ready for it, and the band don't enter together. On Take -B, the timing is better, but either Tommy Dorsey or Nat Natoli hits the note too hard and slips up to the higher harmonic for a moment (I'd guess Dorsey as Natoli's the more experienced trumpeter, but this is just a guess. Please please please correct me if I'm wrong). On Take -C, they all nail it.

Finally, it's a shame that none of these takes were included in the Jazz Oracle Dorsey Brothers discs - I know it's not technically the Dorsey Brothers Orch playing, but it's very close to it. I guess it was decided that they fell outside of the scope of the set, and if the CDs were full, then Cherry would have to be the first to go. Unfortunately it's not on the Frog Records McKinney's Cotton Pickers set either - which doesn't surprise me, as in terms of musicians it's closer to the Dorseys than the Pickers. It's just unfortunate that this group being neither one nor the other, it hasn't shown up on CDs of either.

WINGY MANONE AND HIS CLUB ROYALE ORCHESTRA

C-2682-B - Trying To Stop My Crying
C-2683 - Isn't There A Little Love

Available on "The Wingy Manone Collection Vol. 1, 1927-1930", Collectors Classics COCD-03. Out of print, but downloadable from online music stores including iTunes (UK ONLY) and 7digital (worldwide). On 7digital the album is called "Complete Jazz Series 1927 - 1934". Exactly the same digital source has been used - again, the waveforms line up perfectly and remain in perfect synchronisation throughout - but the iTunes version has been mastered a smidge (less than 3 dB) louder. Excellent transfer by John RT Davies.

Strangely, the version on "Wingy Manone and His Orchestra 1927-1934", Classics 774 also lines up perfectly well with the above transfers. I can't say 100% what transfers have been appropriated from where as I don't have a CD copy of COCD-03 as a definite point of reference.
Finally, these transfers all seemed a smidge flat - speeding them up by 1.10% put them right for me.

TED LEWIS AND HIS BAND

W-148930-3 - Farwell Blues
W-148931-4 - Wabash Blues

Available on "The John RT Davies Collection Volume 1: Disc B, Ted Lewis", JSP940B. Fine John RT Davies transfers. There's a slight defect in the transfer on my CD right on the barline between the 5th and 6th full bar of Lewis' first solo in Wabash Blues - whether it's my CD, the digital master, Mr Davies' disc or the original master disc I don't know, but I hear it every time unfortunately. These transfers seem a little sharp - lowering them by 2.13% (the difference between 78.26 and 76.60 RPM) put them right to my ear. I know this seems like quite a bit, and interestingly for a Columbia it's slower than 78.26. Off the top of my head the Bix & his Gang/Trumbauer Orchestra Okeh session from 25/10/1927 is similarly slow.

ELMER SCHOEBEL AND HIS FRIAR'S SOCIETY ORCHESTRA

C-4559-C Copenhagen
C-4560-A Prince Of Wails

These sides are also included on "Jazz From The Windy City", Timeless CBC1-021. Another source for this is "The White Hot Batch", Frog DGF 76, as remastered by Nick Dellow. The Frog version is cleaner, mastered a little louder (3-4 dB, compared with both files normalised of course), and a little sharper/faster - the White Hot Batch version is the correct pitch, the Jazz From The Windy City version is a touch flat. I'd lean towards the Frog version.
Aside: Upon close listening, can I hear Dick Feige quoting Bix's solo from the Wolverine's Copenhagen behind Karl Berger's Guitar solo, or are my ears playing tricks on me?

THE CELLAR BOYS

C-5308-A Wailing Blues
C-5308-B Wailing Blues
C-5309-A Barrel House Stomp
C-5309-B Barrel House Stomp
C-5309-C Barrel House Stomp

Available on Jazz From The Windy City, Timeless CBC1-021. Out of print on CD, but downloadable from online music stores including iTunes and 7digital. Fine John RT Davies transfers, with slightly varying top end, obviously depending on what sources of each take Mr Davies had to work with.

Phew!
I would like to add a few other recordings, which were not mentioned in your discography:

SAM LANIN'S FAMOUS PLAYERS AND SINGERS
Sam Lanin dir: Phil Napoleon, Harold Peppie, t / Tommy Dorsey, t, tb / ? Frank Teschemacher and another, cl, as / cl, ts / </u> Warner, p / Smith Ballew, g or bj, v / Jimmy Mullen, bb / d / The Three Star Singers, v.

400820-B Too Busy! - v3
OK 41079

400821-B Darling
OK 41079

IPANA TROUBADOURS
The personnel during the summer of 1928 included Phil Napoleon, Harold Peppie, t / Tommy Dorsey, tb / Frank Teschemacher, cl, as, ts, / <u>
Warner, p / Smith Ballew, g, v / Jimmy Mullen bb, sb, and four more (2 saxes, vn, and d).
It is not known if this group recorded as such, but the next four titles have been reported as conforming to this lineup.
Irving Kaufman, unknown, v. (Rust lists Fud Livingston instead of Frank Teschemacher)

146602-2 Nagasaki - vIK
Col 1463-D

146603-2 Down Where The Sun Goes Down - vUnk (Tesch inaudiable)
Col 1463-D

and what about these two recordings?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6oq8IDA8mc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKJhZpoysGI

I sent Albert a mp3 file of "Cherry" for uploading on bixography. I made it with a E- disc. Very conservative graders would grade it probably a V+. Therefore, it's not a very clean transfer...

I would like to add that this was the actual file I used for my youtube video. As you can hear, it sounds quite different. The reason is the processing of the video by youtube when a video in such a format (.dv-fomat) is uploaded. Unfortunately, there is always a digital hiss on my videos because of that. The best way to prevent it is listening to the music on my channel not with headphones but with speakers.

Emrah

May 20th, 2012, 12:02 pm #4

Thanks, Emrah. Very kind of you to send the original mp3 file. Transferred from OKeh 41136, Take A. Excellent trumpet obbligato by Tommy behind George Thomas' vocal.

bixography.com/CherryBigAces.mp3

Albert

vince giordano
vince giordano

May 20th, 2012, 12:12 pm #5

I would like to add a few other recordings, which were not mentioned in your discography:

Sam Lanin dir: Phil Napoleon, Harold Peppie, t / Tommy Dorsey, t, tb / ? Frank Teschemacher and another, cl, as / cl, ts / </u> Warner, p / Smith Ballew, g or bj, v / Jimmy Mullen, bb / d / The Three Star Singers, v.

400820-B Too Busy! - v3
OK 41079

400821-B Darling
OK 41079

IPANA TROUBADOURS
The personnel during the summer of 1928 included Phil Napoleon, Harold Peppie, t / Tommy Dorsey, tb / Frank Teschemacher, cl, as, ts, / <u>
Warner, p / Smith Ballew, g, v / Jimmy Mullen bb, sb, and four more (2 saxes, vn, and d).
It is not known if this group recorded as such, but the next four titles have been reported as conforming to this lineup.
Irving Kaufman, unknown, v. (Rust lists Fud Livingston instead of Frank Teschemacher)

146602-2 Nagasaki - vIK
Col 1463-D

Col 1463-D

I sent Albert a mp3 file of "Cherry" for uploading on bixography. I made it with a E- disc. Very conservative graders would grade it probably a V+. Therefore, it's not a very clean transfer...

I would like to add that this was the actual file I used for my youtube video. As you can hear, it sounds quite different. The reason is the processing of the video by youtube when a video in such a format (.dv-fomat) is uploaded. Unfortunately, there is always a digital hiss on my videos because of that. The best way to prevent it is listening to the music on my channel not with headphones but with speakers.

Emrah
The tenor sax solo on "Do You" sounds like Fud Livingston [who probably wrote the arrangement, too] I didn't hear any solo on Gloriana

May 20th, 2012, 1:03 pm #6

Marty Grosz wrote the biography and notes on the music for this set. According to Marty, there are 34 existing recordings by Tesch. The set includes 40 recordings. The extra six are by Tesch sound-alikes. In the liners, Marty cites as sound-alikes Pee Wee Russell, Fud Livingston and Maurice Bercov. <em>Do You/Gloriana</em> are not included in the set, indicating that Tesch does not play in these recordings.

Apparently, there was a "Chicago Style" of clarinet playing. Among those associated with that style were Pee Wee Russell, Fud Livingston, Maurice Bercov, Wade Foster, Bud Jacobson and Jimmy Lord, and, of course, Frank Teschemacher. Probably others. The Chicago clarinetist who had his own style and was certainly not a Tesch "sound-alike" was the great Benny Goodman. What is interesting  is that, in spite of their different styles, both Benny and Tesch were inspired/influenced by Bix.

Albert

May 20th, 2012, 1:42 pm #7

400820-B Too Busy! - v3
OK 41079

400821-B Darling
OK 41079

IPANA TROUBADOURS

146602-2 Nagasaki - vIK
Col 1463-D

Col 1463-D

Emrah
Thanks very much, Nick. Here is take B in a very good transfer.

bixography.com/BigAcesCherryTakeB.mp3

Albert

Laura Demilio
Laura Demilio

May 21st, 2012, 4:29 pm #8

Marty Grosz wrote the biography and notes on the music for this set. According to Marty, there are 34 existing recordings by Tesch. The set includes 40 recordings. The extra six are by Tesch sound-alikes. In the liners, Marty cites as sound-alikes Pee Wee Russell, Fud Livingston and Maurice Bercov. <em>Do You/Gloriana</em> are not included in the set, indicating that Tesch does not play in these recordings.

Apparently, there was a "Chicago Style" of clarinet playing. Among those associated with that style were Pee Wee Russell, Fud Livingston, Maurice Bercov, Wade Foster, Bud Jacobson and Jimmy Lord, and, of course, Frank Teschemacher. Probably others. The Chicago clarinetist who had his own style and was certainly not a Tesch "sound-alike" was the great Benny Goodman. What is interesting  is that, in spite of their different styles, both Benny and Tesch were inspired/influenced by Bix.

Albert

on Tesch, and it's really worthwhile-- the booklet, the recordings by his emulators.

Giants of Jazz LP series was a godsend to me when I first got hooked on jazz and needed to educate myself quickly. Of course the first set -- on cassette --I bought from that flea market was Bix (replacing it with a nice LP set from Jerry's Used Records), followed by Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Johnny Hodges, Coleman Hawkins, Benny Carter, Red Allen, Jack Teagarden, Jelly Roll Morton, Tesch. (Billie Holiday and Bessie Smith sets I already had.)

I wonder if these sets ever got on cd? I mean as they are in the Time-Life series, with 3 albums, booklet, portrait illustration.

There's something to be said about vinyl LP sets which cd offerings just cannot duplicate. That's how I feel about my opera albums on LP -- thick, lavishly illustrated librettos, perhaps a signed portrait of the star tenor or soprano; catalogue; everything nicely packed and easy to open. I've damned near almost cracked some cd's trying to get them out of their horrible little stiff plastic packages. Then on the imports there's some crappily translated liner notes with a lot of inaccurate information most of the time. I was heartily relieved that the Bix and the Wolverines cd from Archeophone which just came out was so nice.

Glenda Childress
Glenda Childress

May 24th, 2012, 2:04 am #9

Albert

Do Volly deFaut and Danny Polo count as Chicago clarinetists? If so, I think we'd agree they were closer to the Goodman rather than the Tesch mold, especially Polo.

It seems to me that Tesch "got" the Bix idea of playing "unusual" note choices and combinations but not the concept of making each note a "pretty" one, although he certainly put together some pretty notes a la Goodman at times.

I think both McPartland's and Tesch's solos on "Liza" show Bix's influence, for example. I also like the way Tesch plays high harmony note for note with McPartland's lead on that song, rather than the usual clarinet embroidery all around the melody. He does some of the same to good effect on "Shim-me-sha-wabble" with Red Nichols in the second half of the song. Tesch was usually surprising, certainly never boring, and probably best personifies the explosive energy of the Chicago style.

It is surprising that he made so few recordings, yet is far from forgotten. I can't help but wonder what Bix and Tesch might have done together later in a small group like Goodman's trios/quartets and Shaw's Gramercy Five.

Glenda Childress
Glenda Childress

May 24th, 2012, 2:16 am #10

on Tesch, and it's really worthwhile-- the booklet, the recordings by his emulators.

Giants of Jazz LP series was a godsend to me when I first got hooked on jazz and needed to educate myself quickly. Of course the first set -- on cassette --I bought from that flea market was Bix (replacing it with a nice LP set from Jerry's Used Records), followed by Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Johnny Hodges, Coleman Hawkins, Benny Carter, Red Allen, Jack Teagarden, Jelly Roll Morton, Tesch. (Billie Holiday and Bessie Smith sets I already had.)

I wonder if these sets ever got on cd? I mean as they are in the Time-Life series, with 3 albums, booklet, portrait illustration.

There's something to be said about vinyl LP sets which cd offerings just cannot duplicate. That's how I feel about my opera albums on LP -- thick, lavishly illustrated librettos, perhaps a signed portrait of the star tenor or soprano; catalogue; everything nicely packed and easy to open. I've damned near almost cracked some cd's trying to get them out of their horrible little stiff plastic packages. Then on the imports there's some crappily translated liner notes with a lot of inaccurate information most of the time. I was heartily relieved that the Bix and the Wolverines cd from Archeophone which just came out was so nice.
I agree, Laura. The good thing (there <em>were</em> several downsides) about the LP format was that it offered a design that encouraged good cover photography or art/design and that the space lent itself to extensive cover and liner notes. Ah, the way some of those people could write about music! I wish album downloads came with a text file of the notes, where there are any notes.

Dave Sager is to be congratulated on his fairly extensive notes on The Complete Wolverines CD, along with a good discography.