Found a New Fiction Book Featuring Bix

Found a New Fiction Book Featuring Bix

Laura Demilio
Laura Demilio

June 11th, 2012, 4:10 pm #1

Well, how about this! I don't know how good the read is going to be, and it's a fiction contemporary American mystery of the "Trash 'n' Treasures" series. The book is called Antiques Disposal, by Barbara Allan.

Now, lately flea market and antique store mystery books have been very popular -- there are quite a few series out there, and my sister loves to read them since she's an Ebay/antiques store dealer.

I was browsing on Amazon for the new revised expanded edition of Jelly Roll,Bix and Hoagy which is supposed to be released Janaury 2012, and just typing in Bix Beiderbecke under the books heading, this little novel was listed. In my Search Inside, this story seems to be about an antiques dealer divorcee and her elderly mom discovering what is supposed to be Bix's cornet [yeah yeah, we'll all giggle and snort and roll our eyes, but it's just a story and it's not bad writing from what I'm reading -- certainly not a vanity press book like that awful thing I bought --and promptly, contemptuously discarded-- around 5 years ago.]

So, it might be cute, or amusing, or downright fun. I don't suspect I'll feel ripped off since the reviews are a jolly reaction and this writer has a series out -- it doesn't appear to be hack writing, at any rate.

Sort of those speculative "What if" stories, "Wouldn't it be neat if someone junk-hunting found an unknown artifact of Bix's, and all sorts of collectors wanted in on it and mischief ensues. . .. "

We shall see when the book arrives!

Laura

June 11th, 2012, 6:56 pm #2

It is new to me.

Even Charles and Louise are mentioned in the book!

Albert

Laura Demilio
Laura Demilio

June 11th, 2012, 6:57 pm #3

Well, how about this! I don't know how good the read is going to be, and it's a fiction contemporary American mystery of the "Trash 'n' Treasures" series. The book is called Antiques Disposal, by Barbara Allan.

Now, lately flea market and antique store mystery books have been very popular -- there are quite a few series out there, and my sister loves to read them since she's an Ebay/antiques store dealer.

I was browsing on Amazon for the new revised expanded edition of Jelly Roll,Bix and Hoagy which is supposed to be released Janaury 2012, and just typing in Bix Beiderbecke under the books heading, this little novel was listed. In my Search Inside, this story seems to be about an antiques dealer divorcee and her elderly mom discovering what is supposed to be Bix's cornet [yeah yeah, we'll all giggle and snort and roll our eyes, but it's just a story and it's not bad writing from what I'm reading -- certainly not a vanity press book like that awful thing I bought --and promptly, contemptuously discarded-- around 5 years ago.]

So, it might be cute, or amusing, or downright fun. I don't suspect I'll feel ripped off since the reviews are a jolly reaction and this writer has a series out -- it doesn't appear to be hack writing, at any rate.

Sort of those speculative "What if" stories, "Wouldn't it be neat if someone junk-hunting found an unknown artifact of Bix's, and all sorts of collectors wanted in on it and mischief ensues. . .. "

Laura
for the release of the revised, expanded, "Jelly Roll, Bix, and Hoagy."
It's due January 8, 2013 for publisher's release.

Fascinating letter to Phil Evans, there. I love when an original personage in the research writes or types up their firsthand account of an interview way-back-when. Adds to the authenticity.

Laura

Laura Demilio
Laura Demilio

June 11th, 2012, 7:00 pm #4

It is new to me.

Even Charles and Louise are mentioned in the book!

Albert

who lives in Iowa and bases the town in story not on Davenport or the Quad cities proper, but a small community near the area.

Wonder if she will be accurate -- fictional license or not -- in Bix lore, or will it be a hash of misinformation?

Laura

Glenda Childress
Glenda Childress

June 11th, 2012, 11:57 pm #5

Laura
Thanks, Laura, for the heads-up on <em>Antiques Disposal,</em> featuring a possible find of one of Bix's cornets. What a great hook for a book for Bix fans!

You caught me at a vulnerble moment, bookwise. My Kindle happened to be freshly charged; I'd just finished a book and didn't have one waiting; and it's the time of year when I like to read a few mysteries. So...I just downloaded the book! It'll be nice to compare our take on this one.

(It's number 54,208 in sales on Amazon, which is pretty high for series mystery fiction.)

Laura Demilio
Laura Demilio

June 12th, 2012, 1:07 pm #6

We can compare what we like about it and tell the forum if it'll be a fun read for them -- and how "bixiefied" the author is -- that is, knowledgeable about Bix, heh heh.

Laura

Laura Demilio
Laura Demilio

June 19th, 2012, 1:22 pm #7

Sigh. Okay, I'm a bibliophile and a Bixophile; I freely admit to both. But why do I get suckered in, each and every time, some promised novel breathes even the word "Bix" (do you know the Brits have a pancake or cereal mix called Wheatabix? Gee, what am I going to do next, send overseas for a box just so I can get all excited reading the package?)

So, anyway, knowing it was going to be a cutsie-poo book, I still sent for it, and the non-novel went beyond cutsie-poo. I can just imagine the oh-so-clever husband and wife team snickering and pleasedly snorting to one another while they bent over the computer tapping it out -- "Hey honey, look at this! We'll have the guy who's running the auction of old storage sheds have a Southern Drawl! Hahahaha! Let's have the snotty guy who runs the antique store in East Davenport Village snarl, "Oh, it's you," when the flea-market sleuth and her elderly eccentric mom come in! Heeheeheeheehee!"

Well, it wasn't terribly funny. And for all the overwrought "hilarious" dialogue, I was yawning and flipping pages. Sure, they mentioned Bixie. And his cornet. And his grandparents. And that was about all. They were mentioned. Now, mention in the novel of the Beiderbecke family aside, if there'd been a story of some depth, and some characters of some development, I still would have read the thing -- I've always got my nose in some book or other, even sneaking in the office during down time.

Antiques Disposaleven as light take to the beach reading, was so vapid that characters and their motives in the plot of a TV sitcom or detective program are more developed, for heavens sake. And the husband of this author team won all these awards for his scripts and his graphic novel Road to Perdition? (I saw the movie, and had that predictable plot figured out in the first 5 minutes).

The story was so thin that Bixs name and cornet could have been replaced with any musician and instrument, and it would be exactly the same story. Maybe because these people are Iowans from that region, they couldnt help but know at least about Bix, and figured it would make sense to have an historically famous musician from that area in the story they wrote, but the silly, empty non-plot was just a lot of oh-so-clever-and-cutely-humorous dialogue, people getting whapped right and left, and a TV show wrap-up, with lots of references to the other books in the series, a la Nancy Drew.

Wheres the pretty, atmospheric Iowa I like to see photographs of and read about? The book was DEVOID of any description of people and places aside from the most cursory, sketchily executed referral to what the Bix Museum (Putnam)? looked like, and the deserted storage sheds flea market vendors bid on. This non-novel was even emptier and sillier and more amateurishly written than the other junk dealer antique collector murder mystery series by other authors Ive looked at my sisters books.

Why, WHY is it that people who cant write, who lack any talent at all, get published and lauded all over the place? Its so BAFFLING

I know Im being a caustic turd, but it's not so much troubling and annoying, as it is rather frustrating to have these little mosquito non-novels floating about, the junk food of the book world. I'd compare it to half of an empty eggshell filled with -- not whipped cream, but Cool Whip. . . . fake 'n' superficial non-dairy dessert topping.

And so I don't come across as a totally unbearable snob, I LOVE to read junk and trash, honest. I love lurid confessionals and peeking into tabloids -- especially the old-timey ones from 80-90 years ago. There's just gotta be something there to read, though, you know?

I guess we'd all get more out of reading a dry cleaning receipt dug out of one of Bix's coat pockets than trying to fit his name into the plot of a cute-n-clever mystery series book. At least that's REAL.

Laura

Laura Demilio
Laura Demilio

June 19th, 2012, 1:58 pm #8

I cut and pasted my lambasting rant from an email to Glenda, and it lost all the apostrophes.

Laura