First posting by long-time Bix fan

First posting by long-time Bix fan

Bob Brand
Bob Brand

June 9th, 2010, 6:37 pm #1

Hello, one and all!

I just happened to stumble across this forum this morning while surfing the Net.

I have been a Bix fan even since his music and the music of Louis Armstrong were introduced to me by my college roommate when I was attending Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois (I think that Bix may have played there) more than 50 years ago. This jazz genre has stuck with me all through all the following years.

Over the Memorial Day weekend my lady friend and I made our annual trip to Sacramento to drink in the trad jazz soul sounds emitted during the 37th annual Sacramento Jazz Festival. We heard "Singin' The Blues" played twice while we were there, once by Bob Schulz' Frisco Jazz Band and the other time by the Cornet Chop Suey band. I liked the slower version played by the Frisco Jazz Band. The tempo was more in keeping with Bix's 1927 recording.

We attend other trad jazz festivals in addition to the one in Sacramento, but haven't been to the Bix Bash in Davenport yet. I remember how hot and sticky it is in the Mid-west in the summer!

Later this year I am planning to return to Illinois for a high school reunion. After the reunion we will head for Davenport, Iowa where I want to visit sites associated with Bix, like the Beiderbecke family home on Grand Avenue and his gravesite at Oakdale Cemetery. The trip to Davenport has been on my To Do list for a long time.

Now that I have found this forum I will have see what all is available here. Just a quick scroll through the listings shows me lots of stuff that bears further investigation.

Is it possible to post photos on this forum? (I'm an avid photographer).

Bob Brand
Chico, California

June 10th, 2010, 11:41 am #2

In answer to your question, yes, photos can be posted. You give the url for the photo (it must be a jpg or a gif) and the software translates the url into an image when the posting is opened by a reader. If you don't have your own website where you can upload the photo, you can use Photobucket. There is a link to Photobucket towards the bottom of the page where you post. If you have problems, you can always send me the photo as an attachment to a mail message, and I will see that it is added to your posting.

I hope that, in addition to the forum, you have discovered the main Bixography website, http://bixbeiderbecke.com, where there is an enormous amount of information about Bix. Also, I recommend the satellite site, http://bixography.com/wbix.html where you can find 175 virtual radio programs where I feature the music of Bix Beiderbecke and other 1920s music.

Bix, indeed, played at Northwestern University, once on March 10, 1922 with Caldwell's band for the Senior Ball, and again on Nov 10, 1922 with Charles Podalsky during the Homecoming Week Dance. If you happen to be near Northwestern during your forthcoming high school reunion, maybe you can stop by the library and ask for the student newspaper issues with announcements and acccounts of the 1922 Senior Ball in March 1922and the Homecoming Weekend in Nov 1922. There may be some photos of the bands, and pehaps (wishful thinking) a new one of Bix!!

Another connection of Bix with Northwestern is through his friend Don Murray, who attended  Nothwestern.

Before you visit Davenport, it might be a good idea to purchase the "Bix Musical Postcards" CD

with information about Bix-related sites in Davenport. The CD is available thorugh the Bix Society site. Go to

http://www.bixsociety.org/

and click on the link to "souvenirs." For your convenience, here is the url fo the order form,

http://www.bixsociety.org/attachments/0 ... 20form.PDF

Welcome again and regards,

Albert

Bob Brand
Bob Brand

June 10th, 2010, 6:06 pm #3

Albert,

Im grateful to know that I have passed inspection for acceptance of my initial post! Interestingly I discovered the main bixography website years ago. Apparently I got so interested in viewing the mountainous amount of Bix material there that I never got around to clicking on the Forum button! Better late than never!

Wow! Not only do I discover that Bix played at NU (Northwestern University), but I am also now supplied with the specific occasions, dates, and bands that he played with! I continue to be amazed at the immense amount of information about Bix that has been unearthed over the hears. Our hero of the horn must be one of the most documented musicians who ever lived! I am sometimes curious whether Bix--wherever he is--wonders what all of the fuss is about!

My home town is about 40 miles from NU, but I have no present plans to visit NU after the conclusion of my high school reunion in September. Instead I will be high-tailing it for Davenport.

That Bix Musical Postcards CD looks interesting, but there is no explanatory information about it at the Bix Society website. Can you supply additional information including whether the CD comes with a map like the one depicted? Is the map available as a separate and distinct entity? I ask because the map alone might be adequate without the necessity for what might be more information than I need to have. I will appreciate your thoughts on this.

Im not familiar with Photobucket, and Im not sure I want to fuss with it in order to post a message here with accompanying photo(s). How much of a hassle, if any, is it in dealing with Photobucket? Im on a Mac if that makes a difference.

If its OK with you what e-mail address do I use if I opt to send you a message--with attached photo(s)--for posting to the forum?

Last minute question: Is the Beiderbecke family home in Davenport open for visitors or is it privately owned?

Thanks in advance for any information you can supply.

Bob

P.S. In several places this message as composed contained quotation marks and apostrophes which your program refuses to include. Do you have a fix for this?

June 11th, 2010, 6:07 pm #4

Mike O
Mike O

June 11th, 2010, 6:29 pm #5

Yes, research can be frustrating, but I am frequently astonished at the amount of information you and other forumites can dig up on people and events from more than 80 years ago!

June 11th, 2010, 9:19 pm #6

Last edited by ahaim on June 11th, 2010, 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 11th, 2010, 11:53 pm #7

Albert,

Im grateful to know that I have passed inspection for acceptance of my initial post! Interestingly I discovered the main bixography website years ago. Apparently I got so interested in viewing the mountainous amount of Bix material there that I never got around to clicking on the Forum button! Better late than never!

Wow! Not only do I discover that Bix played at NU (Northwestern University), but I am also now supplied with the specific occasions, dates, and bands that he played with! I continue to be amazed at the immense amount of information about Bix that has been unearthed over the hears. Our hero of the horn must be one of the most documented musicians who ever lived! I am sometimes curious whether Bix--wherever he is--wonders what all of the fuss is about!

My home town is about 40 miles from NU, but I have no present plans to visit NU after the conclusion of my high school reunion in September. Instead I will be high-tailing it for Davenport.

That Bix Musical Postcards CD looks interesting, but there is no explanatory information about it at the Bix Society website. Can you supply additional information including whether the CD comes with a map like the one depicted? Is the map available as a separate and distinct entity? I ask because the map alone might be adequate without the necessity for what might be more information than I need to have. I will appreciate your thoughts on this.

Im not familiar with Photobucket, and Im not sure I want to fuss with it in order to post a message here with accompanying photo(s). How much of a hassle, if any, is it in dealing with Photobucket? Im on a Mac if that makes a difference.

If its OK with you what e-mail address do I use if I opt to send you a message--with attached photo(s)--for posting to the forum?

Last minute question: Is the Beiderbecke family home in Davenport open for visitors or is it privately owned?

Thanks in advance for any information you can supply.

Bob

P.S. In several places this message as composed contained quotation marks and apostrophes which your program refuses to include. Do you have a fix for this?
I have been looking for my copy of the Bix Musical Postcards with no success. My recollection is that it is useful in guiding a visitor to Davenport who wishes to see Bix's sites.

The problem with quotation marks and apostrophes comes and goes.

No problem with sending images for me to post. Use [url=mailto:alberthaim@yahoo.com]alberthaim@yahoo.com[/url]

Bix's home on Grand Avenue belongs to the Avati Brothers, two Italian film directors and producers. It is private property, but Marylin (sp?), the representative of the Avati Brothers in the US, is very friendly and will open the house for visitors. Ask people in the Bix Society to give you her phone number so you can make an appointment.

Albert

Bob Brand
Bob Brand

June 12th, 2010, 6:28 am #8

June 12th, 2010, 11:13 am #9

.... was done by Phil Evans, who devoted 50 years of his life to researching Bix. Richard Sudhalter also contributed substantially. The result of their work, with essential contributions to the discography by William Dean-Myatt, was published in 1974 as "Bix, Man and Legend," An excellent biography that covers Bix's life and music. See my recent posting with a review by Philip Larkin in The New Statesman in 1974.

In 1998, Phil Evans with his wife Linda, published another biography of Bix, "Bix, The Leon Bix Beiderbecke Story," a detailed, almost daily, account of Bix's life. If you want to know where was Bix on a given day of his short life and what he was doing, this is the "Bible."

The most recent biography of Bix (2005 hard cover, 2007 paperback) is "Bix: The Definitive Biography of a Jazz Legend." A useful compilation of what is known about Bix..

Albert

June 12th, 2010, 12:36 pm #10

Last edited by ahaim on June 12th, 2010, 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.