Eddie Lang Day event in Philadelphia on Monday

Eddie Lang Day event in Philadelphia on Monday

Bob Kelley
Bob Kelley

October 19th, 2010, 8:34 pm #1

Any Eddie Lang fans in/near Philadelphia, the celebration is on for Monday, Oct. 25, 8 pm to midnight, $10, at Chris' Jazz Cafe.

The Eddie Lang marker near his childhood home is not far away, under 15 blocks, maybe a mile (very wild guess).

I can't be there because I work nights. I will probably be there to sing at the jam session the next night (it runs till closing), so maybe I can pick up some scuttlebutt on how it went.

Chris' is on Sansom (yes, that is the spelling) Street near 15th, between 15th and Broad Streets.

Text from the calendar:

"Eddie Lang Day " hosted by Blackbird Society Orchestra
8:00 PM to 12:00 AM

With special Guests, Marty Grosz, Hoppin Johns Orchestra, Ferko String Band and others!

Born as Salvatore Massaro, "Eddie" grew up in South Philadelphia. He became a jazz guitar legend working with the Paul Whiteman Jazz Orchestra.

Proceeds benefit under priveldged children and music programs
$10

Chris' calendar page:

http://www.chrisjazzcafe.com/calendar/c ... darTOC.php

Alberta
Alberta

October 20th, 2010, 7:18 pm #2

Can you provide a location for the Eddie Lang marker in South Philadelphia? I occasionally wander those streets and have never seen it. Thanks.

Sorry I won't be there on the 25th.

October 20th, 2010, 7:31 pm #3

Visit http://explorepahistory.com/hmarker.php?markerId=537  for location and additional information.

Albert

Alberta
Alberta

October 21st, 2010, 11:48 am #4

I have, of course, run across the Billie Holiday marker many times in my wanderings:
http://explorepahistory.com/hmarker.php?markerId=450

October 22nd, 2010, 8:23 pm #5

Any Eddie Lang fans in/near Philadelphia, the celebration is on for Monday, Oct. 25, 8 pm to midnight, $10, at Chris' Jazz Cafe.

The Eddie Lang marker near his childhood home is not far away, under 15 blocks, maybe a mile (very wild guess).

I can't be there because I work nights. I will probably be there to sing at the jam session the next night (it runs till closing), so maybe I can pick up some scuttlebutt on how it went.

Chris' is on Sansom (yes, that is the spelling) Street near 15th, between 15th and Broad Streets.

Text from the calendar:

With special Guests, Marty Grosz, Hoppin Johns Orchestra, Ferko String Band and others!

Born as Salvatore Massaro, "Eddie" grew up in South Philadelphia. He became a jazz guitar legend working with the Paul Whiteman Jazz Orchestra.

$10

Chris' calendar page:

http://www.eddielangdayinphiladelphia.blogspot.com/

Albert

Bob Kelley
Bob Kelley

October 22nd, 2010, 9:17 pm #6

I have, of course, run across the Billie Holiday marker many times in my wanderings:
http://explorepahistory.com/hmarker.php?markerId=450
all you have to do is get to that general section of South Philly and ask anyone where the Saloon is. Unforunately, the Saloon (a popular neighborhood Italian restaurant and bar) is universally known because that is where Nicky Scarfo Jr. was shot eight times and not only survived but went home from the hospital in a few days.

The marker is alongside the restaurant on Seventh Street. The closest cross street, Clymer, is small and not that well known, but you can get very close by going to Seventh Street south of Bainbridge and north of Catharine (maybe five blocks apart).

I did not know about the Billie Holiday marker. That is roughly halfway between Chris' and the Eddie Lang marker, right on the way.

The Pa. website that Albert posted also lists a Joe Venuti marker maybe two blocks from the Lang marker. I went to the intersection that is listed (a small park is there) and never found it. The person who's organizing the Eddie Lang Day told me he knew where the Venuti marker is, but I don't remember his instructions. If anyone is going to that area, it's worth emailing him because it must be very close.

Also, Chris' is a great place to hear live jazz, jam sessions two nights a week. It was recently described in the local paper as the only club left that has live jazz every night, but I see from their calendar that they don't have music on Sundays. They try not to do avant-garde modern stuff ... think more like 1950s-60s Miles Davis or John Coltrane.

Typically, you don't hear much pre-1950s style material (sometimes you get older songs that were made famous later). They have booked Gypsy Jazz groups but not recently.

Bob Kelley
Bob Kelley

October 24th, 2010, 7:04 pm #7

Text from the calendar:

$10

Chris' calendar page:

to article below).

It's the lead item on a section front with a giant photo of Eddie:

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/entertai ... r_man.html

Alberta
Alberta

October 24th, 2010, 8:33 pm #8

The article from the Inquirer which you attached, for which I thank you, mentions Lang is buried at Holy Cross Cemetery. Half my family is buried there. Now I have another reason to go. And a connection to Eddie Lang!

Thanks for the link! Sorry I'll miss Monday.

October 24th, 2010, 8:38 pm #9

Albert

Bob Kelley
Bob Kelley

October 24th, 2010, 9:19 pm #10

The article from the Inquirer which you attached, for which I thank you, mentions Lang is buried at Holy Cross Cemetery. Half my family is buried there. Now I have another reason to go. And a connection to Eddie Lang!

Thanks for the link! Sorry I'll miss Monday.
deep as yours), more sentimental than rational.

20+ years ago, I used to park about a block from the Lang marker to walk to South Street on Sundays and take in the scene. For many years now (Alberta will know all this), South Street has been the city's top hipster/arts mecca (I have played more live shows there than anywhere), but in the time of Eddie and Joe, it would have been more of a mercantile district, with discount clothing stores and other shops. I would imagine it would have been where teenagers would have gone to window-shop for clothes or buy records or musical instruments or watch the scene ... aside from the Italian Market in South Philly (which I think was mostly food), it would have been the closest business district to where Eddie and Joe lived.

For many years, I played pool in an upstairs bar on South Street that overlooked the former home where Larry Fine of the Three Stooges was born (he was a violinist and boxer in his youth). That area is almost skirting the border of where I believe the true South Philly starts, and very many of the pool players came from South Philly. It's interesting that both Lang and Venuti were avid pool players -- it must be an obsession in that area that has lasted to this day. There are countless neighborhood bars there with their own pool league teams with satin jackets and gargantuan trophies.

You get the sense that the atmosphere in that area may not have changed all that much from the 19-teens, at least not nearly as much as most places. The streets are claustrophobic, parking is a nightmare, walking is easier, people hanging out will sometimes interact with strangers, the architecture is very old ...