Clint on Bix

Clint on Bix

June 11th, 2009, 9:47 pm #1

From Clint Eastwood: An Interview, Ric Gentry, Clint Eastwood, Film Quarterly, Vol. 42, No. 3 (Spring, 1989), pp. 12-23.

Another missed opportunity was "Bix: An Interpretation of A Legend." Excellent music, sets, costumes; but lousy script and historically inaccurate.

From http://www.clinteastwood.net/welcome/alt/ "Eastwood in His Own Words."

One of the biggest things when I was a kidI always liked jazz. A wide spectrum of jazz. Back in the forties and fifties, I listened to Brubeck and Mulligan. And I loved Ellington and Basie. I'd get books on everybody: Bix Beiderbecke, King Oliver, Buddy Bolden. I tried to enroll in Seattle University, where they had a good music program. I got my draft notice before I got in there, though, and ended up at Fort Ord [California].

Albert

What is your favorite film directed by Clint? I will surprise you. Of non-westerns, I have a special spot for "A Perfect World." Of the westerns, I like very much "The Outlaw Josey Wales" and "Unforgiven." "Pale Rider" is OK, but it borrows too much from "Shane," my all-time favorite western.

Lisa Ryan
Lisa Ryan

June 12th, 2009, 3:36 pm #2

Has Eastwood ever talked about making a Bix movie?
THAT I'd like to see!

Ken Bristow
Ken Bristow

June 12th, 2009, 5:01 pm #3

Lisa, who do you have in mind to play Bix on the Silver Screen? Do tell.

David Logue
David Logue

June 12th, 2009, 7:24 pm #4

We discussed this in another thread a while back.

When the "unseen Bix" picture of him with a dog showed up on the youtube video recently, I was struck by how much Bix as a boy looked a bit like Johnny Depp as a boy.

Depp certainly would have the acting chops to handle it and a film on Bix would seem to be in line with the kind of films he chooses. The only problem is, at 46, he is a little old for the part.

Shia LaBeouf's name also came up as a good candidate.

I agree Clint would do an awesome job with a Bix project. I thought "Bird" was an excellent film when I saw it upon its initial release. Watching it again recently, it didn't have the same effect on me but I still enjoyed it.

Lisa Ryan
Lisa Ryan

June 12th, 2009, 8:05 pm #5

I keep thinking Leonardo DiCaprio might make a good Bix ...
(I've been casting this movie in my head for a while!)
DiCaprio looks like he's from an earlier era ... but can he
play the cornet? (-:

Lisa Ryan
Lisa Ryan

June 12th, 2009, 9:29 pm #6

I have another more age-appropriate/musically-appropriate
casting idea ... but can Andy Schumm act? (-:

Ken Bristow
Ken Bristow

June 12th, 2009, 11:51 pm #7

play the cornet? (-:
DiCaprio does indeed look as if he had just stepped out of the Jazz Age. He would certainly make a more convincing Bix than Kirk Douglas did.

Laura Demilio
Laura Demilio

June 13th, 2009, 3:19 am #8

play the cornet? (-:
Hey, come on, gang! You're talking about two guys well past forty and the other thirty-five or more -- playing a guy who died at age 28. Now just tell me how DiCapitated and Depth are going to assume portraying Bix at eighteen, at Lake Forest? At age twenty-one, with the Wolverines? Maybe toward the end Bix admittedly looked dissipated and almost middle-aged in the very few known photographs of circa 1929 because of the alcohol abuse and illness, but having either of those ubiquitous hard-boiled movie stars who've been around for almost 20 years playing a Jazz Age idol who burned out and died at the close of his youth is kind of stretching the limits. There's got to be a fresher face and someone who'd physically resemble Bix more. I'm TIRED of those two splashed across movie screens, aren't any of you? Sure, I'm going to get the lecture from various Forumites about what GREAT actors they are, their brilliance, their talent, blah blah, but we've seen,and seen, and seen them, ad infinitum, since 1990.

I know the next argument: Depp is coming up with a movie where he's playing outlaw John Dillinger, and Dillinger was born either a year before or after Bix. So, okay, Dillinger got gunned down at age 31 or so in July 1934, but what are viewers going to be doing, squinting eyes and pretending, or are the scenes being shot through gauze, or is it suspension of disbelief? I admit I want to see the film when it's released just to check out what's done with it as far as historical accuracy in scene detail (and I love gangster movies and movies about actual gangsters, whether they're made in 1931 or 70 years later), but this show no doubt will eventually boil down to Another Vehicle for A Big Name Movie Star.

I'm honestly not meaning to hurt any feelings or rattle anyone's cages; we're all entitled to our tastes and opinions and I agree those guys have certainly done interesting and admirable work, but every jack time I turn around one or the other of them is in a movie playing some lofty famous "historical" character or someone from "the past". With their circa 1990's slang, motions, demeanor. Anyone ever see DiCaprio portraying Arthur Rimbaud? You know, the French Symbolist poet from the 1870's? You know what that was? Yet another smirking version of that kid he played in Whatever Is Eating Gilbert Grape. I wasn't impressed with his Howard Hughes, either. Any actor can slick back their hair and wear suspenders over their pants to make audiences place them in the 1920's.

I just happened to hit the reply on Lisa's comment meaning to holler about this in general to all of you bunch; honest, I'm not trying to personally chew anyone out or single out anyone in particular's opinion. It's just that, geez, those two actors have been AROUND. It's like seasoned old Clark Gable playing love-interest leading men up until his death in 1960. It really was stretching credulity. Anyone want to consider (and hell no, I don't know of any off-hand - I'm just a middle-aged fart who is not up on trendy things or people) some contemporary actor out there who is a little less. . . . overripe?

hal smith
hal smith

June 13th, 2009, 5:36 am #9

If he were alive Stan Laurel.

carl
carl

June 13th, 2009, 8:19 am #10

That would be a hard movie to make. How could you convey the power of the music. Just a picturing of all the drunken dramatic moments don't really count for anything if you want to tell the world who he really was. It would be like trying to make a movie of Emily Bronte, another person who awoke the consciousness of the whole world, but who's whole life, like Bix, was just in her head and in her art. Maybe if it wasn't a biography. Made up or embellished events to fatten up a life's tale always seem to come out phony and pretentious. That said, before I had suggested Charlie Cox with his slightly decadent appearance, for the lead. There was a fellow from South America who used to post here who planned on doing a Bix movie.