Brian Rust Interviews Annette Hanshaw

July 11th, 2012, 1:23 pm #1

From the Annette Hanshaw yahoo group.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zk42hzovmd8p1 ... ned%29.mp3

Albert

Brad Kay
Brad Kay

July 12th, 2012, 3:17 pm #2

I can't help thinking that this must have been one of the great thrills of Brian's life, to have spent a couple of glorious hours with his dream girl, Annette, and a stack of her records. He never minced words over the fact that she was his all-time favorite girl singer on records. On this tape, she sounds utterly gracious, agreeable and fun to be with; Brian a little breathless. A Peak Experience, to be sure, for Mr. Rust.

I have a copy of a tape from 1952 or so, of Annette Hanshaw at home, accompanying herself (on her horribly out-of-tune piano) on several songs, in multiple takes. By this time, her voice had deepened into a lovely contralto. On one take, something distracts her and she exclaims, "....Wha - a - t?!?" in a way that charms you right to the floorboards. On the same tape is a visitor, her old colleague Willard Robison, accompanying some of his own songs on the same instrument. Unfortunately, they never sing together.

One of the worst oversights in pop vocal history was that during their years at Pathé Records, then later at Columbia, Willard and Annette never recorded a duet. Their voices were ideally complementary. When I perfect the WayBack machine, one of my first tasks will be to rectify this crime of omission. Then I'll go to St. Louis in 1925 and make sure OKeh doesn't forget about Tram's Arcadians.

-Brad K