bix test pressing

bix test pressing

hal smith
hal smith

June 18th, 2012, 5:52 pm #1

is this a real test pressing or a home recording of a test pressing thanks

June 18th, 2012, 8:13 pm #2

.... asking about? Tiger Rag? The one Bix gave to his mother? Yes, it is a test pressing made by Gennett.

Albert

hal smith
hal smith

June 19th, 2012, 2:20 am #3

June 19th, 2012, 12:28 pm #4

Maybe record collectors will be able to answer your question.

Albert

John Leifert
John Leifert

June 19th, 2012, 4:44 pm #5

Hal, it looks like it's a vinyl test from an original stamper of the rare Take B of "Loved One". Evidently when this was pressed the stamper still existed (after that disastrous fire in Hollywood several years ago, it may not exist now). It could have been pressed as late as the 1980s, but it should be definitely from the original stamper.

John L

hal smith
hal smith

June 20th, 2012, 5:07 am #6

Thanks John. long time no see

John Leifert
John Leifert

June 22nd, 2012, 12:02 am #7

Thanks much, Harold! I hope to be e-mailing you soon.

Folks, if you don't have any of the LP's and CD's that Harold produced back in the 80s and 90s, you're really missing something: I was very proud to have written the liner notes for Harold's (now rare) 2-LP set devoted to the 1931-1932 Gene Kardos band (nearly all the Victor's are there in very clean transfers, all from the collection of the late Mike Sambach). He also produced several CD sets devoted to the 1930-1932 Isham Jones Brunswick sides, and a very well-researched set devoted to Snooks' Memphis Ramblers / Stompers. Hal was able to interview people who probably were never interviewed before for these sets, and as such they are now valuable documents.

Cheers to you, Harold!

John

David Weiner
David Weiner

June 22nd, 2012, 4:35 am #8

is this a real test pressing or a home recording of a test pressing thanks
Yep, this was one of a series of vinyl pressings from original masters done by John RT Davies in the late 70s, as limited editions.

Michael May
Michael May

June 22nd, 2012, 5:18 pm #9

Thanks much, Harold! I hope to be e-mailing you soon.

Folks, if you don't have any of the LP's and CD's that Harold produced back in the 80s and 90s, you're really missing something: I was very proud to have written the liner notes for Harold's (now rare) 2-LP set devoted to the 1931-1932 Gene Kardos band (nearly all the Victor's are there in very clean transfers, all from the collection of the late Mike Sambach). He also produced several CD sets devoted to the 1930-1932 Isham Jones Brunswick sides, and a very well-researched set devoted to Snooks' Memphis Ramblers / Stompers. Hal was able to interview people who probably were never interviewed before for these sets, and as such they are now valuable documents.

Cheers to you, Harold!

John
About ten years ago, I bought the Gene Kardos double-lp, still sealed, but no liner notes at all. Perhaps it was a later issue, I don't know. John, may I obtain a copy of the liner notes from you?

Mike May

John Leifert
John Leifert

July 2nd, 2012, 10:21 pm #10

I'll be happy to make copies of those notes for you, Mike - once I locate them! - but I have temporarily misplaced both copies that I had of those printed notes. I'll do a search for them and send them to you once they're located.

Best
John L