Bix in the Miami New Times

Bix in the Miami New Times

March 3rd, 2010, 1:44 am #1

In connection with her new film about Hugh Hefner, Hugh Hefner: Playboy, Activist and Rebel, that will debut in Miami on March 9, 2010, Brigitte Berman was interviewed by a reporter from the Miami New Timesr. You can read the whole interview in

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/ ... itte_b.php

I transcribe here the section that deal with Bix,

New Times: What inspired you to make this film?
<a></a>
Brigitte Berman: I had made a film about Bix Beiderbecke and he's Hef's favorite musician of all time. He saw the film and loved it and we started to correspond and that how's we became friends. I'd occasionally come to the Playboy Mansion for movie nights whenever I was in LA. They've shown my Artie Shaw and Bix movies a couple of times.  

Albert

Linda
Linda

March 3rd, 2010, 10:21 pm #2

I see Hugh Hefner each year at the CINICON-Cinema Collectors Convention in Hollywood. He attends and is usually in the dealers rooms where they sell movie stills. This year if I see him I would like to tell him about Berman borrowing priceless materials from old musicians and others for her Bix documentary and not returning them. I would like to see his reaction.
Hefner still has to have contact with her because of her film about him.
Also would be interesting if any forum member who lives near Miami could go to that film debut on March 9 and confront Berman about her borrowing materials from Tom Pletcher, Phil Evans and 20's musicians and not returning them.
I wish the press would be there to hear the accusations too.

Ken Bristow
Ken Bristow

March 3rd, 2010, 10:52 pm #3

What was Ms Berman's reason for not returning these priceless items in the first place? Is she aware she still has them in her posession? If so, does she have no sense of shame?

Glenda
Glenda

March 3rd, 2010, 11:03 pm #4

I see Hugh Hefner each year at the CINICON-Cinema Collectors Convention in Hollywood. He attends and is usually in the dealers rooms where they sell movie stills. This year if I see him I would like to tell him about Berman borrowing priceless materials from old musicians and others for her Bix documentary and not returning them. I would like to see his reaction.
Hefner still has to have contact with her because of her film about him.
Also would be interesting if any forum member who lives near Miami could go to that film debut on March 9 and confront Berman about her borrowing materials from Tom Pletcher, Phil Evans and 20's musicians and not returning them.
I wish the press would be there to hear the accusations too.
How about getting some Bixophiles in the area to picket the film's opening?

Here are a few suggestions for slogans on the signs:

HEY! HEY! BRING 'EM BACK!
EVERY BEIDERBECKE ARTIFACT!

or

WE WANT OUR BIX PIX BACK!

or

BRIGITTE IS A BIX-POCKET!

or even

HUGH! DON'T HANG YOUR SILK PJs ON BERMAN'S LINE
(or you'll never see them again!)

lol!

Laura Demilio
Laura Demilio

March 4th, 2010, 3:14 am #5

HEY, Glenda, this is terrific -- gave me a good laugh.

Laura

Linda
Linda

March 4th, 2010, 3:21 am #6

or

or

or even

lol!
I would like to add a sign to the picket line-"Give back the Ahola home movies of the New Yorkers band and the photo of the New Yorkers Club!"

Nick Dellow in a post here recently informed me and other forum posters of this material Berman "borrowed" but didn't return:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/27140/me ... ome+Movies

Ken Bristow
Ken Bristow

March 4th, 2010, 3:30 am #7

or

or

or even

lol!
If Brigitte reads this Forum, she may not show up. The thought of hundreds of demonstrating angry Bixophiles led by Glenda will be too awful for her to contemplate.

Jamaica
Jamaica

March 4th, 2010, 11:04 am #8

We should take out an ad in Variety, since her documentary about Hefner is just coming out, informing the film community of her unfair practices. They should know the level of "professionalism" they might be dealing with someday. Of course a large ad would cost.... I don't wanna think about it, but I'm sure it's wildly expensive.

John Rowland
John Rowland

March 4th, 2010, 11:28 am #9

or

or

or even

lol!
Thanks to your brilliant sign ideas I am quite sure that while I'm supposed to be studying for my Biology quiz today, I will instead be mentally trying to come up with sign ideas of my own. Thanks a lot! (o:

Laura Demiliio
Laura Demiliio

March 4th, 2010, 2:06 pm #10

Hey, come on. Studying for BIXology is more important, right? :D