Bix, Brian Rust and the Hotsy Totsy Gang sides

Bix, Brian Rust and the Hotsy Totsy Gang sides

Ken Bristow
Ken Bristow

May 17th, 2011, 12:17 am #1

In the first real attempt at a Bix biography in 1960 'Bugles for Beiderbecke' there was no mention at all of this Brunswick session from June 1930 either in the text or the discography.
Fourteen years later when 'Man & Legend' was published, and when discussing these titles, it was stated the records have provoked decades of dispute among jazz scholars.
But Brian Rust is more forthcoming in his sleeve notes on the World Records LP 'The Studio Groups 1928-30'. He writes:
"Doubt still exists in some collectors' minds as to Bix's participation. But surely there can be no doubt that he is the first soloist on 'Loved One', the same melody as 'I Like That', and if the rather harder hitting style on the other two sides is less caressing than usual, it can be shown many times over that this was just another facet of Bix's playing. The Hotsy Totsy Gang was an all star unit on that June day; Jack Teagarden from Texas and Benny Goodman and Gene Krupa from Chicago joined with New Yorkers and easterners such as Frank Signorelli and Joe Venuti to produce a fine collection of intelligent, but exciting jazz as could be desired - and without any obvious bowing towards the Almighty Dollar or the dictates of Tin Pan Alley. For 'Deep Harlem', like 'Loved One' is the work of Matt Malneck, this time in collaboration with Frank Signorelli, and 'Strut Miss Lizzie' by Henry Creamer and Turner Layton, is a revival for this occasion only, of a popular song of 1920-1921 that was recorded by many artists at that time - among them the Original Dixieland Jazz Band. To the last, Bix was faithful to his first love".
So was it Bix who suggested they do 'Strut Miss Lizzie'? The boys get to let loose on this one in fine Dixieland style.

May 17th, 2011, 12:26 pm #2

In the New Hot Discography written by Charles Delaunay and Edited by Walter E. Schaap and George Avakian, Criterion, New Yok, 1948, the listing for the June 6, 1930 session by Irving Mills and the Hotsy Totsy Gang reads as follows,

Probably Featuring: Red Nichols (tp); Jack Teagarden (tb); Benny Goodman (cl); Matty Malneck (v); Jack Russin (p); Min Leibrook (bass s); Gene Krupa (d).

29M26 Deep Harlem (E 32949) Br 4983 BrE 0281, BrF 50091

29M27 Strut Miss Lizzie (E32403)  -            -           -        

29M28 labeled JACK WINN      

29M28 Loved One (32948 a/b)   Vo 15860, Me 12051*

Fascinating that Delaunay would list Red Nichols as the trumpet player in these selections and that Schaap and Avakian went along.

Here are the musicians listed by Sudhalter and Evans: Beiderbecke, Lodwig, Teagarden, Goodman, unknown ts, Venuti, Malneck, Leibrook, Signorelli, Krupa, Dick Robertson vocal on Strut Miss Lizzie. Matrix # for Strut Miss Lizzie given as E32950.

Evans and Evans give the same except that they identify the ts as Larry Binyon, replace Matty Malneck by Nat Brusilofff and add Lew Green on Guitar.

Rust, last edition (2002) of Jazz Records, gives exactly the same as Sudhalter and Evans.

Lion gives the same as Evans and Evans, except that for violins he gives Venuti and unidentified second violin.

Just fas a matter of curiosity, I don't think that Red ever recorded with Irving Mills. Maybe Steve H can confirm this.

So what do you guys hear? One or two violins? A guitar? By the way, Green's first name is spelled Lew or Lou. A Lou/Lew recorded with Ruby Newman in 1937, Vincent Lopez in 1938, Freddy Randall in 1952, Sunny Dunham on 1942 and Ferde Grofe in 1933. Always the same guy or different guitarists with the same last name and similar first names?

Albert

Glenda Childress
Glenda Childress

May 17th, 2011, 1:40 pm #3

I hesitate to further muddy the waters on the subject of personnel, but Lion assigns the trumpet part to Charlie Margulis rather than Ray Lodwig. To my ears, the "nanny" mute solo on "Loved One" sounds much like Lodwig's other muted solos, e.g., the one on "Georgia On My Mind," but having not heard an identified mute solo like that by the versatile Margulis, I wouldn't dispute that assignment, credited to Frank Van Nus.

I do disagree with Lion's criticism of this session as mostly "conventional." As I have remarked before, "Strut, Miss Lizzie" is one of my favorite Bix works. Bix does play somewhat differently on this session, a more spare, 1930s swing sound at times, using fewer notes but choosing them with great taste. And Goodman and Teagarden respond in kind, as you can clearly hear on all three songs. The way Bix comes on, driving out of the last note of the vocal of "Lizzie" and setting up what follows with Goodman, Teagarden, and Venuti and taking them out in a crescendo of sound is always, as I've said, a thrill. Every time. It's a session in which we get a chance to hear Bix working out a new relationship with his horn, still hot and incisive, but with yet another elusive quality there, too.

Some credit should go to Krupa, who had a way of laying down a beat that made everyone sound better.

Thanks to Ken Bristow for citing critics who challenged Lion's opinion. He and they are right on.

May 17th, 2011, 2:19 pm #4

In the edition I own, first Englsih translation, Lion gives Ray Lodwig. Sure sounds to me like Lodwig.

Albert
Last edited by ahaim on May 17th, 2011, 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard Gregory
Richard Gregory

May 17th, 2011, 5:32 pm #5

My French edition (2004) gives Lodwig, but the 2007 English edition gives Marguilis, with a note at the end of the session saying "Ray Lodwig was listed on former discographies, but we believe Frank van Nus is right to hear Charles Marguilis on trumpet"

May 17th, 2011, 7:02 pm #6

.... the trumpeteer who plays the muted solo in "Loved One" and more about editions of Lion's book.

Old postings

http://www.network54.com/Forum/27140/me ... 246277335/

Frank's Posting  http://www.network54.com/Forum/27140/message/1134689102

There is one French edition (which I have in the original, defective binding as well as in the second production with a bettter binding; both sent to me courtesy of Jean Pierre Lion). There are two English editions, the first a hard cover edition in 2005 and the second a paperback edition in 2007. I have only the English 2005 edition where the soloist who plays the muted solo in "Loved One" is identified as Ray Lodwig. The quote you and Glenda provided must be from the paperback edition. Frank's first posting on his identification of the soloist as Margulis is from Dec 2005, too late for the hardcover edition, but accessible by the time the second, paperback) edition was published.

Albert

PS If this is your first posting in the forum, welcome and join the group of eccentric individuals who constitute the contributors to this, if I may blow my own horn, fantastic Bix resource!

Glenda
Glenda

May 17th, 2011, 7:32 pm #7

My French edition (2004) gives Lodwig, but the 2007 English edition gives Marguilis, with a note at the end of the session saying "Ray Lodwig was listed on former discographies, but we believe Frank van Nus is right to hear Charles Marguilis on trumpet"
You're right. My edition of Lion is the newest paperback edition in English.

David Sager
David Sager

May 17th, 2011, 9:23 pm #8

In the New Hot Discography written by Charles Delaunay and Edited by Walter E. Schaap and George Avakian, Criterion, New Yok, 1948, the listing for the June 6, 1930 session by Irving Mills and the Hotsy Totsy Gang reads as follows,

Probably Featuring: Red Nichols (tp); Jack Teagarden (tb); Benny Goodman (cl); Matty Malneck (v); Jack Russin (p); Min Leibrook (bass s); Gene Krupa (d).

29M26 Deep Harlem (E 32949) Br 4983 BrE 0281, BrF 50091

29M27 Strut Miss Lizzie (E32403)  -            -           -        

29M28 labeled JACK WINN      

29M28 Loved One (32948 a/b)   Vo 15860, Me 12051*

Fascinating that Delaunay would list Red Nichols as the trumpet player in these selections and that Schaap and Avakian went along.

Here are the musicians listed by Sudhalter and Evans: Beiderbecke, Lodwig, Teagarden, Goodman, unknown ts, Venuti, Malneck, Leibrook, Signorelli, Krupa, Dick Robertson vocal on Strut Miss Lizzie. Matrix # for Strut Miss Lizzie given as E32950.

Evans and Evans give the same except that they identify the ts as Larry Binyon, replace Matty Malneck by Nat Brusilofff and add Lew Green on Guitar.

Rust, last edition (2002) of Jazz Records, gives exactly the same as Sudhalter and Evans.

Lion gives the same as Evans and Evans, except that for violins he gives Venuti and unidentified second violin.

Just fas a matter of curiosity, I don't think that Red ever recorded with Irving Mills. Maybe Steve H can confirm this.

So what do you guys hear? One or two violins? A guitar? By the way, Green's first name is spelled Lew or Lou. A Lou/Lew recorded with Ruby Newman in 1937, Vincent Lopez in 1938, Freddy Randall in 1952, Sunny Dunham on 1942 and Ferde Grofe in 1933. Always the same guy or different guitarists with the same last name and similar first names?

Albert

Phil Evans asked me once -- over the phone -- if he thought it plausable that Nat Brusiloff (who was my great uncle) could have played on "Loved One."

I said it was certainly possible since Nat seemed to have worked for Mills on a few occasions. So Phil said something to the effect of, "Then that's that!."

So - it should read something like "Possibly Nat Brusiloff..."

DS