Bix @ Wikipedia

Bix @ Wikipedia

Brendan Wolfe
Brendan Wolfe

October 1st, 2010, 11:53 am #1

Allow me to don my extremely nerdy editor's hat and announce that the Bix Beiderbecke article at Wikipedia was promoted last night to Feature Article status. According to the site, there are just more than 3,000 Feature Articles out of almost 3.5 million total articles, and the honor means that Bix will at times be featured on the Wikipedia home page, greatly increasing traffic to the article and perhaps spurring additional interest in the man and his music.

Thanks to Rob Rothberg for his helpful explanation above of some copyright issues; thanks to Barb Wascher, who helped me get started figuring out how to embed sound clips; and thanks to any and all forumites who contributed to the article over the years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bix_Beiderbecke

Brendan

Barb Wascher
Barb Wascher

October 1st, 2010, 2:04 pm #2

I'd like to add that in order to achieve Featured Article status, a stringent set of requirements must be met:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... e_criteria

Brendan doesn't mention the many, many hours he's spent over the past year and more making sure the Bix article meets those professional standards. And in the spirit that drives the Wikipedia project, he consistently demonstrated an ongoing willingness to collaborate with other editors and reviewers -- and with great grace and good humor -- while shouldering the lion's share of the work required to make the article what it is today.

This is an exceptionally generous offering from Brendan and I hope everyone here takes the time to read it. I think you'll find, as I did, that it's a sterling piece of Bix scholarship and that it provides an essential component to the Beiderbecke canon.

Barb

October 1st, 2010, 2:22 pm #3

October 1st, 2010, 6:54 pm #4

Allow me to don my extremely nerdy editor's hat and announce that the Bix Beiderbecke article at Wikipedia was promoted last night to Feature Article status. According to the site, there are just more than 3,000 Feature Articles out of almost 3.5 million total articles, and the honor means that Bix will at times be featured on the Wikipedia home page, greatly increasing traffic to the article and perhaps spurring additional interest in the man and his music.

Thanks to Rob Rothberg for his helpful explanation above of some copyright issues; thanks to Barb Wascher, who helped me get started figuring out how to embed sound clips; and thanks to any and all forumites who contributed to the article over the years.

Brendan
<p style="margin:0in 0in 0pt;"><span>So far, I only read in detail read the introduction and the Early Life sections of the Wikipedia article. Here are some comments. Your text in bold font.</span>
<p style="margin:0in 0in 0pt;"><span></span>

<p style="margin:0in 0in 0pt;"><span><strong>Multiple stints in rehabilitation centers.</strong> <span> </span>I only know of Bix's admittance to the Keeley Institute, Oct 14-Nov 18, 1929. What are the other rehabilitation centers?</span>

<p style="margin:0in 0in 0pt;"><span><strong>He left the Whiteman band in 1930.</strong> As far as I know, he left Whiteman in Sep 1929.</span>

<p style="margin:0in 0in 0pt;"><span><strong>He began to play cornet at age 13, playing left-handed for the first eight years.</strong> Most biographies tell us that Bix started playing cornet in early 1919 (he was almost 16) when Burnie brought home a record player and some ODJB records. Moreover, if Bix played left-handed for eight years and started playing at 16, then he was 24 when he changed from left- to right- handed. There is a photo of Bix in 1925 (with the Rhythm Jugglers) when he was almost 22, six years after he started playing, where he is seen playing right-handed. What is the evidence that Bix played left-handed for the first eight years?</span>

<p style="margin:0in 0in 0pt;"><span><strong>Until recently, biographers have largely ignored this incident in Beiderbecke's life, and Lion was the first, in 2005, to print the police blotter and affidavit associated with the arrest. <span> </span></strong>Later, in a footnote, # 28, you add. <strong>Albert Haim published a transcript of the police blotter and affidavit even earlier, on </strong><strong>January 7, 2001</strong><strong>, on the </strong><strong>Bixography Discussion Group</strong><strong>, an online forum owned and operated by Haim (retrieved September 27, 2010).</strong> Are you making a distinction between print and publish? I am not pointing this out to get credit for being the first (since I am not the first to report the arrest, only the first to provide the documents, see below), <span> </span>but it seems to me that you are giving the chronology in the wrong order. If you want to point out who was the first to make public the police blotter and affidavit, then it seems to me that footnote 28 should be incorporated in the text and then point out that the documents were later included in Lion's and Rich Johnson's books. As a matter of fact, if you want to give the proper chronology and credit, then you should mention "Jazz: A History of American Music" by Geoffrey Ward. In the year 2000, <em>before my posting in the forum</em>, Ward reported Bix's arrest, without providing the affidavit or the police blotter, just the quote of<span> </span>a "lewd and lascivious act with a child" from the police blotter.</span>

<p style="margin:0in 0in 0pt;"><span>I will read more in the next few days and post comments, if needed.</span>

<p style="margin:0in 0in 0pt;"><span>Albert</span>

Last edited by ahaim on October 3rd, 2010, 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alberta
Alberta

October 2nd, 2010, 1:23 am #5

Brendan
Wish I could write half that well. And a very impressive research effort. I couldn't even guess how many hours it took to put it all together. A minor point: I may be wrong about this, but I thought the inspiration Carmichael took from Bix he incorporated into the VERSE of Stardust, not the chorus.

The article clearly deserves featured status. Hooray for Brendan Wolfe, and for Bix Beiderbecke too!

Glenda Childress
Glenda Childress

October 2nd, 2010, 1:48 am #6

Brendan
Thank you, Brendan, for the gift of your time to what was a tremendous labor, but obviously a labor of love!

And now please finish <em>Finding Bix.</em>

October 2nd, 2010, 8:35 pm #7

<p style="margin:0in 0in 0pt;"><span>So far, I only read in detail read the introduction and the Early Life sections of the Wikipedia article. Here are some comments. Your text in bold font.</span>

<p style="margin:0in 0in 0pt;"><span><strong>Multiple stints in rehabilitation centers.</strong> <span> </span>I only know of Bix's admittance to the Keeley Institute, Oct 14-Nov 18, 1929. What are the other rehabilitation centers?</span>

<p style="margin:0in 0in 0pt;"><span><strong>He left the Whiteman band in 1930.</strong> As far as I know, he left Whiteman in Sep 1929.</span>

<p style="margin:0in 0in 0pt;"><span><strong>He began to play cornet at age 13, playing left-handed for the first eight years.</strong> Most biographies tell us that Bix started playing cornet in early 1919 (he was almost 16) when Burnie brought home a record player and some ODJB records. Moreover, if Bix played left-handed for eight years and started playing at 16, then he was 24 when he changed from left- to right- handed. There is a photo of Bix in 1925 (with the Rhythm Jugglers) when he was almost 22, six years after he started playing, where he is seen playing right-handed. What is the evidence that Bix played left-handed for the first eight years?</span>

<p style="margin:0in 0in 0pt;"><span><strong>Until recently, biographers have largely ignored this incident in Beiderbecke's life, and Lion was the first, in 2005, to print the police blotter and affidavit associated with the arrest. <span> </span></strong>Later, in a footnote, # 28, you add. <strong>Albert Haim published a transcript of the police blotter and affidavit even earlier, on </strong><strong>January 7, 2001</strong><strong>, on the </strong><strong>Bixography Discussion Group</strong><strong>, an online forum owned and operated by Haim (retrieved September 27, 2010).</strong> Are you making a distinction between print and publish? I am not pointing this out to get credit for being the first (since I am not the first to report the arrest, only the first to provide the documents, see below), <span> </span>but it seems to me that you are giving the chronology in the wrong order. If you want to point out who was the first to make public the police blotter and affidavit, then it seems to me that footnote 28 should be incorporated in the text and then point out that the documents were later included in Lion's and Rich Johnson's books. As a matter of fact, if you want to give the proper chronology and credit, then you should mention "Jazz: A History of American Music" by Geoffrey Ward. In the year 2000, <em>before my posting in the forum</em>, Ward reported Bix's arrest, without providing the affidavit or the police blotter, just the quote of<span> </span>a "lewd and lascivious act with a child" from the police blotter.</span>

<p style="margin:0in 0in 0pt;"><span>I will read more in the next few days and post comments, if needed.</span>

<p style="margin:0in 0in 0pt;"><span>Albert</span>

The last name of Bix's neighbor in the photograph of Bix, age 8, is Lasher, not Laush. Rich Johnson in "Bix: The Davenport Album" tells us quite a bit about Louis Lasher, Nora's husband. In 1911, Nora and Louis lived at 1936 Grand Avenue, next door to the Beiderbecke's. They sold the house in 1915 to Eugene Hostetler.

Incidentally, your work about Bix, a well as mine, and that of all who came after the publication of Sudhalter and Evans in 1974 and Evans and Evans in 1998, owe a great debt of gratitude to Phil Evans and Richard Sudhalter. This is well known. What is not widely known is that Evans benefitted enormously from Rich Johnson's expertise about Bix in Davenport. Rich, with his characteristic generosity and unselfishness provided lots of invaluable data to Evans about all things Bix in Davenport. Perhaps an acknowledgment to these three giants in the field of Bixology would be in order. Without their dedication to learning about Bix, their publications, and their sharing the information they uncovered with others, your article could not have been written. See note.

Albert

Note. When I received the Goldkette Award a few years ago, I dedicated it to Richard Sudhalter. In my obituary of Richard Sudhalter for the Mississppi Rag, Oct 2008, I wrote,

<font face="times,serif"><em>"I</em><em> owe an immense debt of gratitude to Richard Sudhalter. His writings, in particular </em>Bix, Man and Legend,</font><font face="times,serif"> had a profound impact on me. Had it not been for Richard's comprehensive, insightful, and deeply moving account of Bix's life, my own life would have charted a far less rewarding course. Ultimately, I was inspired to create the Bixography website (www.bixography.com), embarking upon a marvelous and endlessly evolving adventure. </font>

Thank you, Richard! "[size=300][/size]
Last edited by ahaim on October 2nd, 2010, 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike
Mike

October 3rd, 2010, 10:04 pm #8

Brendan
A true labor of love. Congratulations!

- Mike Laprarie

David Logue
David Logue

October 4th, 2010, 12:05 pm #9

Brendan
Good job. Looking forward to your book. When will we see it?

Brendan Wolfe
Brendan Wolfe

October 4th, 2010, 12:55 pm #10

Brendan
Thanks for the kind words, Barb, Alberta, Glenda, Mike, and David. I really appreciate it. My book, Finding Bix, is finished, but the original deal fell through. I've got another publisher on the hook, though -- fingers crossed I can reel them in.

Thanks again.

Brendan