Another missing Beiderbecke letter?

Another missing Beiderbecke letter?

Coscannon
Coscannon

August 18th, 2015, 6:51 pm #1

Not from Bix. From Agatha.

Issue #32 of PAST TIMES, THE NOSTALGIA ENTERTAINMENT NEWSLETTER contains an item, "Bix Lives
Again in Print and on CD." This paragraph about the upcoming Evans and Evans biography includes
a quotation from Linda Evans:

The Evanses have been helped in their quest for every last detail
about Bix by an army of fans, and many members of the Beiderbecke
family. “Bix’s nephews and their families have given us all the
information available to them, including articles about the family
and a letter from Bix’s mother written in 1931," Ms. Evans notes.

1931?

This would have been an unusual (and curiously diminishing) way to describe Bix's last letter home that
bears a subsequent notation from Agatha, "Bixie's letter. Never finished."

So, it would seem there might well have been a letter from Agatha in 1931 that didn't make it into the Evans and Evans book.

1931!

Jim Petersen
Jim Petersen

August 19th, 2015, 4:36 pm #2

Perhaps the Bix letter with the notation from Agatha at the bottom is the one Ms. Evans is referencing. Perhaps there is a letter from Mrs. Beiderbecke to Bix still in existence. As you know, the The Bix Museum Archives now owns that copious amount of research material. As it is investigated, such a letter is sure to surface. Guess I'd just say, stay tuned!

Liz Beiderbecke-Hart
Liz Beiderbecke-Hart

August 19th, 2015, 4:56 pm #3

Issue #32 of PAST TIMES, THE NOSTALGIA ENTERTAINMENT NEWSLETTER contains an item, "Bix Lives
Again in Print and on CD." This paragraph about the upcoming Evans and Evans biography includes

1931?

This would have been an unusual (and curiously diminishing) way to describe Bix's last letter home that

So, it would seem there might well have been a letter from Agatha in 1931 that didn't make it into the Evans and Evans book.

1931!
There is no letter that I know of that Agatha had written to Bix in 1931.

Regarding the notation 'Bixie's letter...never finished':

Bix's last letter to his family was found unfinished by Agatha and Burnie in Bix's Queens apartment.

In my opinion, it is Burnie's handwriting that wrote the sad explanation at the bottom of the letter('Bixie's letter.....never finished.').

Agatha was there, also, so maybe it was hers, but I've seen Burnie's handwriting, and I think it's his.

Liz Beiderbecke-Hart
Liz Beiderbecke-Hart

August 19th, 2015, 5:01 pm #4

1931?

1931!
You wrote: 'This would have been an unusual (and curiously diminishing) way to describe Bix's last letter home that bears a subsequent notation from Agatha, "Bixie's letter. Never finished." '

I've always imagined that it was written right there and then in Bix's apartment when they were collecting his things.

I find it heart breaking to imagine their grief when that was written. It is definitely not 'curiously diminishing'.

Coscannon
Coscannon

August 19th, 2015, 8:31 pm #5

QUOTATION FROM PAST TIMES:
“Bix’s nephews and their families have given us all the

OBSERVATION BY COSCANNON:

"This would have been an unusual (and curiously diminishing) way to describe Bix's last letter home" had Linda Evans in fact been describing that last letter. I therefore reasoned Ms. Evans was NOT describing THAT letter.

"A letter from Bix's mother written in 1931," however significant (and obviously, I thought it would be significant enough to post such a possibility) would make less impact on PAST TIMES' readers than the brief, more compelling words, "Bix's last letter."

I therefore reasoned Ms. Evans was unlikely to have used such a subdued description for Bix's last letter, and could have been referring to ANOTHER letter, one currently unknown.

As my previous post concluded:

So, it would seem there might well have been
a letter from Agatha in 1931 that didn't make
it into the Evans and Evans book.

I certainly wasn't diminishing Bix's last letter and its heartbreaking notation. Anything but. Nor did I think Linda Evans would have done so. I deliberately chose the words "would have been" and "curiously diminishing" to indicate my doubt. I was, in fact, underlining the unique significance of that last letter.

I'm sorry if you found anything in my post puzzling. That wasn't my intention.

Coscannon
Coscannon

August 19th, 2015, 8:33 pm #6

Perhaps the Bix letter with the notation from Agatha at the bottom is the one Ms. Evans is referencing. Perhaps there is a letter from Mrs. Beiderbecke to Bix still in existence. As you know, the The Bix Museum Archives now owns that copious amount of research material. As it is investigated, such a letter is sure to surface. Guess I'd just say, stay tuned!
Thanks for the advice!

Liz Beiderbecke-Hart
Liz Beiderbecke-Hart

August 19th, 2015, 9:19 pm #7

QUOTATION FROM PAST TIMES:
“Bix’s nephews and their families have given us all the

OBSERVATION BY COSCANNON:

"This would have been an unusual (and curiously diminishing) way to describe Bix's last letter home" had Linda Evans in fact been describing that last letter. I therefore reasoned Ms. Evans was NOT describing THAT letter.

"A letter from Bix's mother written in 1931," however significant (and obviously, I thought it would be significant enough to post such a possibility) would make less impact on PAST TIMES' readers than the brief, more compelling words, "Bix's last letter."

I therefore reasoned Ms. Evans was unlikely to have used such a subdued description for Bix's last letter, and could have been referring to ANOTHER letter, one currently unknown.

As my previous post concluded:

So, it would seem there might well have been
a letter from Agatha in 1931 that didn't make
it into the Evans and Evans book.

I certainly wasn't diminishing Bix's last letter and its heartbreaking notation. Anything but. Nor did I think Linda Evans would have done so. I deliberately chose the words "would have been" and "curiously diminishing" to indicate my doubt. I was, in fact, underlining the unique significance of that last letter.

I'm sorry if you found anything in my post puzzling. That wasn't my intention.
Thank you for your kind explanation.

I just go into "Mama Bear" mode regarding Bix when I perceive any 'slight' or misinformation, as he(obviously) can't defend himself.

There's been so many things I've read or heard that are incorrect or damning....but your post wasn't one of them, I now know.

Again, my apologies.

Coscannon
Coscannon

August 20th, 2015, 12:40 am #8

Your thoughtful response is sincerely appreciated.

I slid from one point to another and assumed incorrectly that all the connections were in place.

I should add I appreciate your insight on the handwriting. I'd have mentioned this earlier but needed to clear up the other matter first.