Andy Iona and Sol Hoopii.

Andy Iona and Sol Hoopii.

July 30th, 2011, 3:35 pm #1

Rob Rothberg
Rob Rothberg

July 30th, 2011, 7:22 pm #2

What's the name of the tune?

July 30th, 2011, 7:53 pm #3

I'll have an answer in a few minutes, buddy.

Albert

July 30th, 2011, 9:20 pm #4

.... the intenet is amazing! Indeed, it is. But the internet in abstract is nothing but wires and software, wireless and optical technologies, a world wide network of interconnected computer networks. The internet has the <em>potential</em> to provide information. And that is the work for real people. What is amazing to me is the work done by individuals in providing, some free of charge, others for profit, information and support for every one to use.

Using the internet, I have been able to provide an answer to Rob's question. The individuals who must be thanked are Glen Robison and Friedrich Hachenberg (and of course yours truly for providing the conduit to bring to you in all the information). Glenn generoulsy shares his record collection with the world via his Rapidly Rotating Records programs (both on conventional radio and in the internet), Fredrich Hachenburg diligently listens to the program, records the side, alerts me of the Bix and Tram connection, produces an mp3 file and sends it to me. Glenn archives his programs as m4a files. I do a bit of googling and find the web page with Glen's archived programs; I record the pertinent section and bring it to you. Here are the details of the recording, coming directly from Glen's mouth.

bixography.com/HawaiiRRRCredits.mp3

The title of the song is Hano Hano Hawaii.

Finally, with the help of HonkingDuck78 and Steven Abrams (and an anonymous individual), here are the vital statistics for the recording.
<h2>HANO HANO HAWAII by SOL HOOPI & ANDY IONA'S TRIO</h2><div class="clear-block"><div class="node"><span class="submitted">December 14, 2009 - 7:28am Anonymous</span> <div class="content clear-block">
Label: 1370D; Artist: SOL HOOPI & ANDY IONA'S TRIO; Tune: HANO HANO HAWAII; MX: W145919=4; Ctrl: LA; Date: 4/16/28
<div class="field field-type-nodereference field-field-keyfile"><div class="field-items"><div class="field-item odd">COL1000D </div></div></div><div class="field field-type-text field-field-combo"><div class="field-items"><div class="field-item odd">SOL HOOPI & ANDY IONA'S TRIO </div></div></div><div class="field field-type-text field-field-selection"><div class="field-items"><div class="field-item odd">HANO HANO HAWAII </div></div></div><div class="field field-type-date field-field-release-date"><div class="field-items"><div class="field-item odd"><span class="date-display-single">April 16, 1928</span> </div></div></div><div class="field field-type-text field-field-catalog-no"><div class="field-items"><div class="field-item odd">1370D </div></div></div><div class="field field-type-datestamp field-field-updated"><div class="field-items"><div class="field-item odd"><span class="date-display-single">November 28, 2009 - 2:06pm</span> </div></div></div></div></div></div>
Last edited by ahaim on July 30th, 2011, 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob Rothberg
Rob Rothberg

July 31st, 2011, 10:50 am #5

Thanks to the whole gang of you!

July 31st, 2011, 9:12 pm #6

July 31st, 2011, 9:37 pm #7

Here is another connection btween Lani McIntyre and Bix.

I remind you that Lani was one of the members of the Novelty Trio who recorded Singing the Blues (highly "inspired" by the Bix and Tram recording).

Bing made several recordings with Lani McIntyre and His Hawaiians. One of the recordings was <em>Blue Hawaii </em>from Feb 3, 1937. Listen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUtwX9fxxEo&feature=fvst

Blue Hawaii was recorded by Paul Whiteman and His Orchestra on Mar 15, 1929. Bix was a member of the band, but he is inaudible. Listen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO_B5jOUJP8

Albert
Last edited by ahaim on August 1st, 2011, 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 31st, 2011, 9:43 pm #8

David Weiner
David Weiner

August 5th, 2011, 5:53 pm #9

Here is another connection btween Lani McIntyre and Bix.

I remind you that Lani was one of the members of the Novelty Trio who recorded Singing the Blues (highly "inspired" by the Bix and Tram recording).

Bing made several recordings with Lani McIntyre and His Hawaiians. One of the recordings was <em>Blue Hawaii </em>from Feb 3, 1937. Listen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUtwX9fxxEo&feature=fvst

Blue Hawaii was recorded by Paul Whiteman and His Orchestra on Mar 15, 1929. Bix was a member of the band, but he is inaudible. Listen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO_B5jOUJP8

Albert
FYI, the two "Blue Hawaiis" are different songs, Albert.

August 9th, 2011, 2:28 pm #10

Apologies to forum readers. I did not even think about the possibility that the recordings were of different songs. I just found links to the recordings and did not listen. Of course, Bing' is a sweet Hawaiian tune, Whiteman's is a slow waltz, totally different tunes. The only thing in common is the title and the use of Hawaiian guitars.

Albert