A visit with Jon Faddis

A visit with Jon Faddis

Jim Petersen
Jim Petersen

November 25th, 2011, 9:53 pm #1

On Wednesday November 16th, the greatly talented trumpet artist, Jon Faddis, was in Davenport to perform at two concerts (one with the Quad City Symphony) and to lead talks at several area schools. He asked if the Bix Society could assist him in visiting some of the Bix sites. Gerri Bowers, Society Historian and myself were glad to comply. Dixie Burress, the Treasurer for the International Trumpet Guild, also made the jaunt with us.
Jon is an affable chap and we enjoyed his visit a lot. While time didn't permit a stop at all of the Bix sites, we did visit Oakdale Cemetery where Bix rests, the Beiderbecke family home, drove by the old drug store where Bix worked as a soda jerk as well has Central High school (Davenport H. S. when Bix attended there), had a walk through of the Danceland Ballroom where Bix played, stopped at LeClair Park, The Col. Ballroom, the Beiderbecke Bed and Breakfast (Bix's grandparents home), and ended up at the Putnam Museum where Bix's cornet resides.
Jon had the previledge of playing Bix's horn while there. His warm up was impressive, and before he was done, strains of "Davenport Blues", "I can't Get Started" and "Stardust" filled the hallways much to the joy of those present. In a word, Wonderful!"
After the last number, Jon stared at the beautiful instrument in his hands and said, several times, "That's a sweet horn!" He also said how great it was that he has now played a Louis Armstrong horn and a Bix Beiderbecke horn.
Jon has a very keen sense of humor and of history and we really enjoyed his company that afternoon and early evening.
Will end this here - sorry if I mis-spelled any words, I need my spell checker!
Best wishes to all forum members!

November 26th, 2011, 2:30 pm #2

Any photographs or videos of  Jon playing Bix's cornet?

Albert

Jim Petersen
Jim Petersen

November 26th, 2011, 6:18 pm #3

Yes, there are photos of Jon playing, but they were all taken by the Putnam Museum staff. Ill try to get a copy and send it along when I do.
Best wishes!
Jim Petersen
Last edited by ahaim on November 26th, 2011, 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.