A Very Insightful Comment about Bix by Benny

A Very Insightful Comment about Bix by Benny

March 11th, 2008, 8:18 pm #1

This is one of the best comments about the genius of Bix. Infinitely better than Eddie Condon's "like a girl saying yes."

"We'd just sit back and listened, because you never could tell what he was going to do next."
From "The Kingdom of Swing by Benny Goodman and Irving Kolodin.

Very deep, man. That is one of the characteristics of Bix's improvisations (or better improptu mini compositions): unpredictable, astonishing. Solos by other musicians are not unexpected or even foreseeable. Bix's solos always surprise me.

Do you have a favorite quote about the uniqueness of Bix's genius?

Albert

Randy Skretvedt
Randy Skretvedt

March 11th, 2008, 9:23 pm #2

...but I think I mentioned somewhere in my notes for the "Bix Restored" series that, to me, Bix's music is like finding a second correct answer to a mathematical problem. It works perfectly, it's logical, after you hear it you wonder why nobody else ever thought of that, but it's totally unexpected.

I always liked the description of his tone as being "like shooting bullets at a bell," because it describes the chiming tone and the precise attack and articulation of Bix's playing. I wish I could remember who said that!

March 11th, 2008, 10:14 pm #3

Hoagy: as a mallet hits a chime

Berton: like shooting bullets at a bell.

Since geometry was my favorite subject until I discovered chemistry, I like your statement that "Bix's music is like finding a second correct answer to a mathematical problem."

"Unexpected" is a recurring theme in describing Bix's musical genius.

Bix's mother: "The air is carried out by the other cornetist but the sudden perky blare and the unexpected trills-those are the

George Johnson: ""Bix was a fountain of ideas that were spontaneous, as unexpected to himself as they were to us."

Albert

Brad Kay
Brad Kay

March 11th, 2008, 10:19 pm #4

...(what I like about jazz is) "You never know how it's going to turn out." ?

-BK

Randy Skretvedt
Randy Skretvedt

March 11th, 2008, 10:31 pm #5

Since geometry was my favorite subject until I discovered chemistry, I like your statement that "Bix's music is like finding a second correct answer to a mathematical problem."

Bix's mother: "The air is carried out by the other cornetist but the sudden perky blare and the unexpected trills-those are the

George Johnson: ""Bix was a fountain of ideas that were spontaneous, as unexpected to himself as they were to us."

Albert
I've never read any comments about Bix's playing from his mother. I've seen his sister talk about his playing in the Brigitte Berman documentary, and I know the story about his brother Burnie mistaking Henry Busse for Bix in the Ralph Berton book, but haven't read anything from his mother. What's the rest of this quote, and where did you find it? Many thanks.

Jim Petersen
Jim Petersen

March 11th, 2008, 10:33 pm #6

This is one of the best comments about the genius of Bix. Infinitely better than Eddie Condon's "like a girl saying yes."

"We'd just sit back and listened, because you never could tell what he was going to do next."
From "The Kingdom of Swing by Benny Goodman and Irving Kolodin.

Very deep, man. That is one of the characteristics of Bix's improvisations (or better improptu mini compositions): unpredictable, astonishing. Solos by other musicians are not unexpected or even foreseeable. Bix's solos always surprise me.

Do you have a favorite quote about the uniqueness of Bix's genius?

Albert
Just returned from a 2nd wonderful Bix Birthday concert in as many days. The "All-Star" band put on a great show at the Davenport Library and Bix Society sponsered "Bix Birthday Bash". Great music, birthday cake and hot dogs. We closed by singing Happy Birthday to our musical hero. It was the usual full house.

I guess my favorite comment was when Paul Whiteman, who had hundreds of people in his employment over the years said about Bix, "Not only was he the finiest musician I ever knew, he was also the finest gentleman."

March 11th, 2008, 11:59 pm #7

I've never read any comments about Bix's playing from his mother. I've seen his sister talk about his playing in the Brigitte Berman documentary, and I know the story about his brother Burnie mistaking Henry Busse for Bix in the Ralph Berton book, but haven't read anything from his mother. What's the rest of this quote, and where did you find it? Many thanks.
An interview of Bix's mother in Davenport's paper.

http://ms.cc.sunysb.edu/~alhaim/Article ... 0Interview

Albert

Anonymouse
Anonymouse

March 12th, 2008, 5:39 pm #8

Albert
... that as soon as Bix started to play - piano or cornet -it was as if you had entered another room. Good article here:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ ... 793648.ece

jazzlover
jazzlover

March 13th, 2008, 9:58 am #9

Thanks for that Anonymouse, bloody good article, especially the ending of the last paragraph.

Randy Skretvedt
Randy Skretvedt

March 13th, 2008, 9:41 pm #10

...that Armstrong was denied royalties from his OKeh records because of racial prejudice. As far as I know, recording artists of any color worked for a flat fee until the 1940s. Bix Beiderbecke got $67.50 for each of the many records he made with Paul Whiteman (as detailed on page 227 of "Bix: Man and Legend," Sudhalter and Evans), and no royalties. Glenn Miller negotiated a new contract with RCA Victor in 1941 which did give him royalties, but his estate still receives nothing for the earlier flat-fee recordings such as "In the Mood."