A Ten-Year Contract Between Red Nichols and Edward B. Marks.

A Ten-Year Contract Between Red Nichols and Edward B. Marks.

November 12th, 2011, 11:42 pm #1

A few days ago, I posted in the Red Nichols facebook page the following.

<em>From the Presto-Times, Jul 28, 1928: "Preparatory to leaving for Europe recently Edward B. Marks, of the music firm that bears his name, signed a ten-year agreement with Red Nichols whereby the firm secures the exclusive rights to all of Mr. Nichols' orchestral arrangements during that time."
Here are seven Nichols' arrrangements advertised in 1928 by the Edwards B. Music Co., 225 W. 46th St, New York NY:
Seven Great RED NICHOLS Recording Orchestrations
IDA
MY GAL SAL
ORIGINAL DIXIELAND ONE-STEP
</em><em>BALLIN' THE JACK
ROLL DEM ROLY BOLY EYES
</em><em>JAZZ ME BLUES
SHiMMY-SHA-WABBLE
Jazz Me Blues caught my attention. Neither Red nor Miff recorded this tune. The other tune they did not record is Roll Dem Boly Eyes.</em>

Steve H posted this article in Metronome, Aug 1928.

I expressed my surprise about the mention of Chauncey Morehouse rather than Vic Berton in the list of musicians: Chauncey only recorded a few sides side with Red in 1927 and 1928, whereas Vic recorded dozens and dozens of sides between March 1926 and May 1929.

A new (at least to me) title for Red Nichols: <em>"Orchestra King." See</em>

Albert

November 13th, 2011, 12:05 am #2

The article in Metronome mentions Red playing with Vincent Lopez. I did not find any recordings of Red with Vincent Lopez,  and Red is not mentioned in Lopez's autobiography "Lopez Speaking." However, Steve H reported in 2009,

<em>"Red was with Lopez briefly in 1924, before he left to join Dick Bowen at Walled Lake. It was during the Walled Lake engagement Red and Bix first met, when Bix sat in with them.
Some of the later Lopez records around 24-25 were thought to be Red, STOMP OFF LET'S GO, etc., but Red said no, they are Bob Effros.
Red did make a couple sessions with Lopez before Walled Lake, at the same time he was working with George Olsen."
</em>

I will ask Steve in the Red Nichols page the titles of the recordings of Red with Vincent Lopez.

Albert

November 13th, 2011, 12:27 am #3

Sep 19, 1925, OK 40478

Vincent Lopez, p, dir; Bob Effros, Henry Levine, t; Jim Cassidy, tb; Larry Abbott, George Napoleon, Billy Hamilton, reeds; Xavier Cugat, Dan Yates, vn; Joe Tarto, bb; Willie Kessler, d.

Listen bixbeiderbecke.com/StompOffLetsGoVincentLopez.mp3

Albert
Last edited by ahaim on November 13th, 2011, 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 13th, 2011, 7:27 pm #4

November 13th, 2011, 7:42 pm #5

Sep 19, 1925, OK 40478

Vincent Lopez, p, dir; Bob Effros, Henry Levine, t; Jim Cassidy, tb; Larry Abbott, George Napoleon, Billy Hamilton, reeds; Xavier Cugat, Dan Yates, vn; Joe Tarto, bb; Willie Kessler, d.

Listen bixbeiderbecke.com/StompOffLetsGoVincentLopez.mp3

Albert
Here are the ones missing (from Rust): Joe Gold, p; Frank Reino, bj. I had Joe Tarto as the brass bassist; wrong. The bb is by Hank Waak.

Albert

Last edited by ahaim on November 14th, 2011, 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 14th, 2011, 1:29 pm #6

Don House
Don House

November 14th, 2011, 4:46 pm #7

looks, at least to me, a lot like B.A. Rolfe who played for Lopez in 1925.

November 14th, 2011, 8:16 pm #8

.... sitting next to the trombone player, the one identified as Bob Effros?

Albert

Don House
Don House

November 15th, 2011, 12:26 am #9

Yes, between the trombone and other trumpet.

November 15th, 2011, 1:31 pm #10

From http://www.jazzhound.net/photographs.htm

Here is the identification of the musicians in the jazzhound site by Mark Berresford:
<p align="left"><span>Here's a great photograph of Vincent Lopez & His Orchestra, probably taken in about 1923, possibly in the Hotel Pennsylvania. I recognise Lopez (with baton), pianist Joe Gold, saxophonist Billy Hamilton (4th from left) and trumpeter Bob Effros (immediately to the right of Lopez). Jan Lindau from Sweden notes that the banjoist is Dave Berend, playing a Weymann tenor banjo and Bruce Vermazen, ace vintage saxophone expert, spots Harry Fink, formerly of the Six Brown Brothers, as the saxophonist on the far left.  The others are probably as shown in The American Dance Band Discography, but any definite identification would be welcome.</span>
<p align="left"><span>For comparison:</span>
<p align="left"><span>1. Trumpet guys in Mark's photo.</span>
<p align="left"><span></span>
<p align="left"><span>2. Trumpet guys in Sven's's photo.</span>
<p align="left"><span>They are the same guys! </span>
<p align="left"><span>Here are the only two photos of B. A. Rolfe that I could find.</span>
<p align="left"><span>What do you guys think? Does anyone have a photo of B. A. Rolfe around 1925?</span>
<p align="left"><span>Albert</span>