A Six-Part Program About Benny Goodman on BBC 2.

A Six-Part Program About Benny Goodman on BBC 2.

October 22nd, 2009, 12:43 pm #1

The first program of the series, "Curtis Stigers remembers the clarinettist and bandleader Benny Goodman in his centenary year." Available on demand for a few weeks in

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00n8196

Each program is 30 minutes long. Bix and Teschmacher are mentioned and a piece of "Singing the Blues" is played.

Albert

Ray Downing
Ray Downing

October 22nd, 2009, 6:13 pm #2

Although the BBC Radio 2 web page for the programme gives no writer-compiler credit,I believe the series was written by Forum contributor Russell Davies.

October 22nd, 2009, 11:03 pm #3

.... http://www.network54.com/Forum/27140/me ... 252616785/

You can listen to (another) Russ' s BBC2 program of Oct 18, 2009 [Russell Davies celebrates the art, craft and inspiration of the popular song] by visiting the page 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006wqz0

and clicking on the link "listen now." (Available only for a few more days).

Albert

Last edited by ahaim on October 22nd, 2009, 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 22nd, 2009, 11:20 pm #4

At  00:16:35 you can hear Russ talking about Jack Fulton, Bix, Bing, and Whiteman. And you can hear Jack Fulton singing "It's Love in Bloom" with Whiteman in 1934. I guess Russ is not very fond of Jack Fulton's singing style.

I like Jack Fulton's singing a lot. As a matter of fact, I like several high tenor singers, in particular, French/Corsican Tino Rossi and Italian Alberto Rabagliati.

Albert

Russell Davies
Russell Davies

November 4th, 2009, 9:33 am #5

Yes, I like Tino Rossi, too -- singing Tino Rossi-style material. I admit Jack Fulton did improve from his showing in the late twenties, but that left him with a long way to go...
Have we ever nominated the worst (in our opinion) vocal on a Bix recording? I expect it's been covered. I think my vote would have been for "High Up On A Hill-Top".
And yes, I did write the Benny Goodman series. Arising out of Part One of that, are those early cylinder recordings he made with Earl Baker any more available in the U.S. than they are in the U.K.? We had to move heaven and earth to get hold of them.
R.D.

John Leifert
John Leifert

November 4th, 2009, 4:51 pm #6

I don't know - I think the "vocal" quartet on "In My Merry Oldsmobile" is pretty bad. In a fun way, of course. (They're obviously members of the band. No trained voices here!)

"You can go....as far as you LIKE..."

JL

Linda
Linda

November 9th, 2009, 3:03 am #7

Yes, I like Tino Rossi, too -- singing Tino Rossi-style material. I admit Jack Fulton did improve from his showing in the late twenties, but that left him with a long way to go...
Have we ever nominated the worst (in our opinion) vocal on a Bix recording? I expect it's been covered. I think my vote would have been for "High Up On A Hill-Top".
And yes, I did write the Benny Goodman series. Arising out of Part One of that, are those early cylinder recordings he made with Earl Baker any more available in the U.S. than they are in the U.K.? We had to move heaven and earth to get hold of them.
R.D.
The Earl Baker cylinders are on a Jazz Archives lp as you know released in 1979. The lp is long out of print but it does occasionally show up on amazon. com and ebay. Currently when I checked no copy is presently available on either.
Tim knew when the lp was released it was of great historical importance so he bought several copies of the lp. He has since given a few away to other collectors who requested them as "just having to have the lp." One was a big Goodman collector Tim sent the lp to because he said he just couldn't find it anywhere.