A Bix Beiderbecke Reader/Anthology?

A Bix Beiderbecke Reader/Anthology?

Richard Iaconelli
Richard Iaconelli

November 20th, 2010, 1:53 am #1

I have been reading Jean Pierre Lion's biography of Bix Beiderbecke. In the back of the book is a long list of books and articles about Bix and his Era, some of which I'd never heard of before, like "The Story of Emmet Hardy, by Dave Dexter in Downbeat. It even includes privately published materials, such as Randy Sandke's Bix study, "Observing a Genius at Work." It includes my favorite elusive book: "Wait until Dark: Jazz and the Underworld, 1880-1940," by Ronald Morris.

Albert has done heroic work in getting many long-lost and impossible to find articles for this website, for which I am grateful. Yet, I wonder if the next important work about Bix would be a book length collection of all the major articles and book exerpts written about Bix in full text, with original illustrations. I suppose copyright would be an issue, but it would be a great project. After all, we have the "Louis Armstrong Companion".

By chance, is anyone working on such a project?

November 20th, 2010, 12:30 pm #2

... is currently available in the main Bixography website. As I find more items, I add them. But I am not working on a book about the subject, and do not know of anyone who is currently working on this. It would be a good project for an enterprising young man.

Randy Sandke's "Observing A Genius At Work" has been published in a revised and improved version as "Bix Beiderbecke from a Musician's Prespective"  in Annual Review of Jazz Studies, 9, 1997-98, edited by Edward Berger, David Cayer, Henry Martin, Dan Morgenstern, Institute of Jazz Studies, Rutgers - The State Universituy of New Jersey and The Scarecrow Press, Inc., Lanham, Maryland and London, 2000, pages 165-260.

Albert

Laura Demilio
Laura Demilio

November 21st, 2010, 1:26 am #3

I have been reading Jean Pierre Lion's biography of Bix Beiderbecke. In the back of the book is a long list of books and articles about Bix and his Era, some of which I'd never heard of before, like "The Story of Emmet Hardy, by Dave Dexter in Downbeat. It even includes privately published materials, such as Randy Sandke's Bix study, "Observing a Genius at Work." It includes my favorite elusive book: "Wait until Dark: Jazz and the Underworld, 1880-1940," by Ronald Morris.

Albert has done heroic work in getting many long-lost and impossible to find articles for this website, for which I am grateful. Yet, I wonder if the next important work about Bix would be a book length collection of all the major articles and book exerpts written about Bix in full text, with original illustrations. I suppose copyright would be an issue, but it would be a great project. After all, we have the "Louis Armstrong Companion".

By chance, is anyone working on such a project?
"Wait Until Dark: Jazz and the Underworld 1880-1940" is on Amazon (United States) used copy for $35.00. The only copy, so grab it up!

Laura

Richard Iaconelli
Richard Iaconelli

November 21st, 2010, 5:31 am #4

Thanks Laura and Albert. My reading list now takes me to the year 2035. ..and then, there's the records.

November 21st, 2010, 4:02 pm #5

alex revell
alex revell

November 23rd, 2010, 4:59 pm #6

During the late 1940s early 50s I had a small paperback book/pamphlet about Bix. It measured about 6 by 8 inches and the entire cover was the famous photo of Bix, used on this site. Does anyone have any memory of this book. I loaned it and neve saw it again.

November 23rd, 2010, 5:21 pm #7

I believe what you had was the little pamphlet, "Bix" by Clifford Jones and R. G. V. Venables, Willesden, England, 1945. I have it and I put up some pages in the main Bixography website. See

http://bixbeiderbecke.com/bixcliffordjo ... jones.html

Albert

alex revell
alex revell

November 25th, 2010, 5:13 pm #8

Albert,
Yes, the articles ring a faint bell, but it's a long time since I last saw the book! Is the cover as I described it?

November 25th, 2010, 7:10 pm #9

.... exactly as you described it.

I have two copies somewhere. It is worth scanning the whole booklet and put it on the Bixography  website. When I find some time, I will upload.

Albert

Laura Demilio
Laura Demilio

November 28th, 2010, 4:30 pm #10

If you would upload the phamplet when convenient for you, Albert. I was intrigued by the bit that I saw.

Laura