2015 Bix Festival: Dick Hyman was the recipient ....

2015 Bix Festival: Dick Hyman was the recipient ....

August 13th, 2015, 1:04 pm #1

.... of the Bix Lives Award. Dick is a Bix admirer from age 12. I am sure you know these two albums.

Fromhttp://www.jazzwax.com/2010/01/intervie ... art-1.html

JW: Who introduced you to jazz?
DH: My big brother Arthur collected jazz records, which in those days were 78-rpms. He brought them home from Harvard. He exposed me to Bix Beiderbecke [pictured], Art Tatum and all sorts of great musicians. This was when I was 12 years old, an impressionable age.

JW: Do you still have those records?
DH: In fact I do. The Bix record was Somebody Stole My Gal. On the other side was Rhythm King. The Tatum record was Art Tatum Tea for Two and Gone with the Wind. With Bix, I’m still trying to figure out what makes him so special. The music isn't as easy as it sounds. I’m still a sucker for Bix. I continue to find new things in what I hear, and those things delight me. I played three times in Davenport, Iowa, Bix’s birthplace, at summer festivals. I’m always eager to discuss the minutia of Bixology.

JW: Is part of the appeal Bix's mystique?
DH: I think so. People have been fascinated by his legend. You know, young man with a horn
Bix_Beiderbecke_1924 and all that. The idea of a young man living it up to excess and dying at age 28, with only eight years in jazz, but so in command of what he was he was doing. There’s some old mythology at work here: The artist who dies young after burning himself out. That legend was always an aspect of Bix that drew me to him.

August 13th, 2015, 1:11 pm #2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9xY7Q6VW3U

The lady with dark hair sitting in the first row is my dear wife. I am to her right, but not visible, except at 0:16 into the video.

Albert

August 13th, 2015, 1:46 pm #3

.... of the Bix Lives Award. Dick is a Bix admirer from age 12. I am sure you know these two albums.

DH: My big brother Arthur collected jazz records, which in those days were 78-rpms. He brought them home from Harvard. He exposed me to Bix Beiderbecke [pictured], Art Tatum and all sorts of great musicians. This was when I was 12 years old, an impressionable age.

DH: In fact I do. The Bix record was Somebody Stole My Gal. On the other side was Rhythm King. The Tatum record was Art Tatum Tea for Two and Gone with the Wind. With Bix, I’m still trying to figure out what makes him so special. The music isn't as easy as it sounds. I’m still a sucker for Bix. I continue to find new things in what I hear, and those things delight me. I played three times in Davenport, Iowa, Bix’s birthplace, at summer festivals. I’m always eager to discuss the minutia of Bixology.

DH: I think so. People have been fascinated by his legend. You know, young man with a horn
Bix_Beiderbecke_1924 and all that. The idea of a young man living it up to excess and dying at age 28, with only eight years in jazz, but so in command of what he was he was doing. There’s some old mythology at work here: The artist who dies young after burning himself out. That legend was always an aspect of Bix that drew me to him.
I was shocked and saddened to learn about the move of the Bix Festival from Davenport, the magical town, to Bettendorf, one of the four towns that make up the Quad City. I am uncertain about what to do. I might not even attend, I don't know...

http://qctimes.com/entertainment/music/ ... b1b56.html

By the time I learned about the change, it was a done deal. No point in bitching and complaining or suggesting other venues in Davenport. I find it hard to believe that no other venues could be found in Davenport. There are two colleges that I know of, Palmer School of Chiropractic and St. Ambrose University with I imagine large auditoriums and quite a bit of parking. Why couldn't one of these be used in the summertime when school is off? Or even one of the high schools in Davenport? I can't believe that the 2016 Bix Festival is not going to be in Davenport. Damnation.

Albert

August 13th, 2015, 2:10 pm #4

What will the poster for the 2016 festival say? Bix Beiderbecke Memorial Jazz Festival, August 4-7, Bettendorf, Iowa?

Albert

August 13th, 2015, 6:17 pm #5

http://www.qconline.com/life/cab-callow ... 2bc2f.html

The musicians in the band are competent, but so are the musicians in the New York Philharmonic. It is not a matter of quality, it is a matter of genre. The Cab Calloway orchestra is as out of place in the Bix Festival as would have been the New York Philharmonic. I heard nothing but complaints and negative comments about the choice of the Cab Calloway orchestra as the highlight of the opening night at the Bix Festival.

I could not find a video of the Cab Calloway band at the Bix Fest in youtube. But this one will give you an idea of what they sounded and looked like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNiaP4DKMk0

Albert

Coscannon
Coscannon

August 14th, 2015, 1:00 am #6

I was shocked and saddened to learn about the move of the Bix Festival from Davenport, the magical town, to Bettendorf, one of the four towns that make up the Quad City. I am uncertain about what to do. I might not even attend, I don't know...

By the time I learned about the change, it was a done deal. No point in bitching and complaining or suggesting other venues in Davenport. I find it hard to believe that no other venues could be found in Davenport. There are two colleges that I know of, Palmer School of Chiropractic and St. Ambrose University with I imagine large auditoriums and quite a bit of parking. Why couldn't one of these be used in the summertime when school is off? Or even one of the high schools in Davenport? I can't believe that the 2016 Bix Festival is not going to be in Davenport. Damnation.

Albert
Having no proprietary interest, I'm nonetheless glad to see those views expressed. The news seemed to have been greeted with a near eerie calm.

Alberta
Alberta

August 14th, 2015, 10:59 am #7

Albert
Is there a city center of Bettendorf? I can't find pictures on the internet. I suppose it's like other American cities, it's a corporation.

August 14th, 2015, 12:39 pm #8

Alberta
Alberta

August 14th, 2015, 3:59 pm #9

I believe a fair number of these are of Davenport, and I recognize at least one of Rock Island. I'm going to look at google earth and google maps.

Fred
Fred

August 14th, 2015, 5:09 pm #10

Motoring around downtown Davenport for a few days, found the closest thoroughfare alonside the Mississippi River... named something like River Drive... a rail line follows along all the way, between the road and the river. Along that route, it's a straight drive down the two-way street through several stoplights, from the Ripley corner outside LeClair Park, up through Bettendorf... rolls right past the 2016 location... most of one mile's distance, but all along River Drive.