Rhodesian Hunters

Rhodesian Hunters

June 14th, 2009, 3:23 am #1

As the Dak takes shape I start on a Hunter...

Now I am an aeroplane man and I am minimalist with ordenance fitout if it is going to "spoil" the look of the subject. Consequently I have loads of spare rocketry and things that go bang snd I would qualify as a 1/48 Kosheigi (arms dealer - incidently I have a picture of his DC9 if anyone wants it)

Now Rhodesian reference pictures are quite thin on the ground (and in the air for that matter) because of all that embargo stuff and associated secrecy. I have one picture however, of a Hunter loaded up with sidewinders, I am guessing these were sourced from South Africa.. anyone have any clue what pylon / rail they used? The South Africans had both Sabres and Mirages, I am wondering if they might have adapted versions of these..

The Hunter looks good with the Sidewinders and I may break into my armoury..

June 14th, 2009, 3:39 am #2

Note first one has Rhodesian camo but SAAF roundels -

June 14th, 2009, 3:48 am #3

The awesome power of the internet, and common interest groups, Sidewinder Hunter coming up..

Andrew Doppel (A2)
Andrew Doppel (A2)

June 14th, 2009, 4:33 am #4

Note first one has Rhodesian camo but SAAF roundels -

if you have any Wal?

They'd be easy to source including the AIMs.

Regards

Andrew

June 14th, 2009, 4:54 am #5

yes thanks, got it all except the 1/48 scale liquid nitrogen nt

the other Ray
the other Ray

June 14th, 2009, 5:16 am #6

Why not make the Rhodesian/South Afriacan Airforce Hybrid Hunter, now there is something youy don't see every day!!!!. BTW, if you can manage to pick up a book titled "War in th Air: Rhodesian Air Force 1935-1980" by Cowderoy and Nesbit, it briefly refers to the Hunter being equipped with the South African version of the Sidewinder. Apart from that, the book is just a dam good read. I regularly fly with a 737 Captain who is an ex-Rhodesian Air Force Hunter pilot and, boy, does he tell a good yarn!!!. He owns his on Hunter based in NSW. Next time I see him I will ask if he has any photos of the Rhodesian Hunters with the Sidewinders fitted.
the other Ray

June 14th, 2009, 5:28 am #7

.. squeeze him some more for me!

Acually the Rhodesian Hunters in late service look like absolute unmitigated crap... no numbers, no badges no national markings and the most faded paint you have ever seen. I have one picture of a Hunter with a large playboy bunny painted on the rear fuselage but it is a very sectional shot and very is very little Hunter showing for me to be able to model that one without considerable artistic licence (not that I havent used that before!)

The nicest RRAF hunters had the Assegia roundels, I'll save that version for a 1/32 example. I cant stomach the "incognito" scheme so I will do the what I call the "dog and Bone" roundel (actually a lion and a tusk) version. These just had a roundel on the forward fuselage and thats all..

June 30th, 2009, 1:33 pm #8

As the Dak takes shape I start on a Hunter...

Now I am an aeroplane man and I am minimalist with ordenance fitout if it is going to "spoil" the look of the subject. Consequently I have loads of spare rocketry and things that go bang snd I would qualify as a 1/48 Kosheigi (arms dealer - incidently I have a picture of his DC9 if anyone wants it)

Now Rhodesian reference pictures are quite thin on the ground (and in the air for that matter) because of all that embargo stuff and associated secrecy. I have one picture however, of a Hunter loaded up with sidewinders, I am guessing these were sourced from South Africa.. anyone have any clue what pylon / rail they used? The South Africans had both Sabres and Mirages, I am wondering if they might have adapted versions of these..

The Hunter looks good with the Sidewinders and I may break into my armoury..
Close examination of the sidewinder hunter shows (to my eye anyway) that the SAAF castle on the rear fuselage is bereft of the leaping impala. So I scanned in some SAAF decals and rubbed the wildlife off..
I figure the markings are on the fuselage only and then only a token effort to make it look like the jet could be SAAF, I put the borderline around the castle to assist in cutting the thing out from white decal paper (needs a white border)

Damian C
Damian C

July 1st, 2009, 5:40 am #9

as associated with Vauban - low with earthworks in front to provide protection against gunfire; the heads and feet are bastions intended to provide crossfire/supporting fire against attackers approaching the walls/other bastions respectively.

One of the most interesting hunter schemes, I reckon, are the Singaporean jets which were painted in something intended to be the USAF SEAC scheme, but using British colours.

Damian C
Damian C

July 1st, 2009, 6:13 am #10