RAAF 3 Squadron Mustangs

RAAF 3 Squadron Mustangs

June 17th, 2010, 11:01 am #1

Hi all I'm looking to build a 3Sqn Mustang MkIV in Italy.

I have purchased the 1/48 ICM P-51D, is this a good basis for a Mk IV as it has shrouded & unshrouded exhuasts and also the cuffed & uncuffed blades with 2 different nose cones.

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Paul

June 17th, 2010, 11:21 am #2

I find the plastic is soft but they are rather nice kits except if you're trying to build their Spitfires with the Merlin exposed. They take a bit of work.

HTH

Regards

Andrew Doppel
Assistant Moderator AMI

June 17th, 2010, 1:15 pm #3

I have purchased the 1/48 ICM P-51D, is this a good basis for a Mk IV as it has shrouded & unshrouded exhuasts and also the cuffed & uncuffed blades with 2 different nose cones.

Cheers, Paul
Hi!
The ICM kit has been called a clone of the TAmiya kit, and it may be. I have done several and they do build up into nice models. One word of caution though.......you need the serial number to see it it is a P-51D or a P-51K. The "D" had the cuffed , round tip Hamilton Standard prop. The "K" had the Aeroproducts prop. What you get into the kit is the cuffed prop, and post war "square tip" Hamilton Standard prop. Ask around as a lot of Tamiya and hasegawa kits come with the Aeroproducts prop.
Plus the "K" had the "Dallas" canopy. Again you need the serial number.

I hope this helps....

Bruce

June 18th, 2010, 8:48 pm #4

Cheers, Paul
the Ultracast items. Worth every cent if you want to add some extra 'zing' to your model.

Available from Red Roo

PR

June 18th, 2010, 11:45 pm #5

Hi!
The ICM kit has been called a clone of the TAmiya kit, and it may be. I have done several and they do build up into nice models. One word of caution though.......you need the serial number to see it it is a P-51D or a P-51K. The "D" had the cuffed , round tip Hamilton Standard prop. The "K" had the Aeroproducts prop. What you get into the kit is the cuffed prop, and post war "square tip" Hamilton Standard prop. Ask around as a lot of Tamiya and hasegawa kits come with the Aeroproducts prop.
Plus the "K" had the "Dallas" canopy. Again you need the serial number.

I hope this helps....

Bruce
The Aeroproducts prop comes with the Korean War Mustang kit.

As Peter notes below, you can get Ultracast from Red Roo. If Gary doesn't have the Ultracast blades, he has his own: RRR48123. They'll be as good.

A man can't have too many flying boats ...