QANTAS Catalina Mods - need a QANTAS contact

QANTAS Catalina Mods - need a QANTAS contact

February 26th, 2010, 10:08 pm #1

A little while back I posted for info on QANTAS Catalinas. Cudos to Michael Louey for identifying the Barry Pattison book and a big thank you David Constable for lending me his copy, 'cause there are none around to buy.

Since then I have done a bit more sleuthing and come up with the following (summarised):

1. These aircraft were supplied by BOAC from the British Cat allocation, and were BOAC a/c on lend lease.

2. They had al lot of their British equipment removed including the ASV equipment and antennae.

3. These Cats had extra fuel tankage, which was eventually stored in the engineers compartment and was plumbed to the wing tanks through an external fuel line. These tanks appear to have had individual fuel fillers and external fuel caps. There were eight tanks stored here.

4. The rear blister area had the rear gunners metal platform removed and replaced by a wooden floor.

5. Fuel dump systems were installed, 2 a.c to QEA drawings and 2 a/c to US drawings.

6. The De-icing systems were removed.

7. The "rear cabin" had Short Empire Boat chairs and cargo stowage (atleast one a/c so modified). I think the "rear cabin" referred to is the compartment just forward of the rear blister.

These modifications have drawings to show what was done. The relevant QEA drawings are:

158, 158/A-F - Fuel dumps
159, 159/1+2, 159/A-Y - fuel tanks
167, 167/A-F - Flooring Blister Compartment
168, 168 A+B, 168/B/1-6 - Fwd drift sight
169, 169 A-E, Drift sight, blister compartment
171 - Water Tank, blister compartment
172 - Food locker, blister compartment
174 - Lavatory Installation

Anyone have contacts at QANTAS who may be able to dig around and see if these drawings still exist?

PR

February 27th, 2010, 1:44 am #2

That anyone still working for Qantas is that old, and I am sure no paperwork would remain within the mainstream part of the group.

Your best chance would be to contact the guys who run the heritage centre at their email

heritage@qantas.com.au

or even HARS may have some of the details

http://www.hars.org.au/

February 27th, 2010, 4:43 am #3

I sent an e-mail to the Heritage site some weeks ago and still haven't heard from them. Figured they are all volunteers, but maybe my enquiry was just dismissed.

HARS is a good thought - I'll give them a try,

PR

February 27th, 2010, 4:54 am #4

A little while back I posted for info on QANTAS Catalinas. Cudos to Michael Louey for identifying the Barry Pattison book and a big thank you David Constable for lending me his copy, 'cause there are none around to buy.

Since then I have done a bit more sleuthing and come up with the following (summarised):

1. These aircraft were supplied by BOAC from the British Cat allocation, and were BOAC a/c on lend lease.

2. They had al lot of their British equipment removed including the ASV equipment and antennae.

3. These Cats had extra fuel tankage, which was eventually stored in the engineers compartment and was plumbed to the wing tanks through an external fuel line. These tanks appear to have had individual fuel fillers and external fuel caps. There were eight tanks stored here.

4. The rear blister area had the rear gunners metal platform removed and replaced by a wooden floor.

5. Fuel dump systems were installed, 2 a.c to QEA drawings and 2 a/c to US drawings.

6. The De-icing systems were removed.

7. The "rear cabin" had Short Empire Boat chairs and cargo stowage (atleast one a/c so modified). I think the "rear cabin" referred to is the compartment just forward of the rear blister.

These modifications have drawings to show what was done. The relevant QEA drawings are:

158, 158/A-F - Fuel dumps
159, 159/1+2, 159/A-Y - fuel tanks
167, 167/A-F - Flooring Blister Compartment
168, 168 A+B, 168/B/1-6 - Fwd drift sight
169, 169 A-E, Drift sight, blister compartment
171 - Water Tank, blister compartment
172 - Food locker, blister compartment
174 - Lavatory Installation

Anyone have contacts at QANTAS who may be able to dig around and see if these drawings still exist?

PR
Hi Peter,
You could try contacting Steve Eather who is curator at the Qantas Founders Museum at Longreach. He has just recently helped me out with a most obscure request, so you never know. Contact him on 0746583737 or curator@qfom.com.au. Steve proved to be a really helpful and friendly guy.
regards
the other Ray

February 27th, 2010, 12:37 pm #5

Know Steve from RAAF Museum days. Sent Steve a request earlier this year but he drew a blank and also suggested the heritage team, which is when I emailed them.

Oh well..just have to keep digging and nudging

PR

February 27th, 2010, 12:43 pm #6

Hi again Peter,
This is a long shot I know, but why not contact Jim Mehan at the TAA Museum here in Melbourne (Qantas Training Centre, Airport West) he has a substantial amount of Qantas "stuff". You never know, he may be able to assist you in your quest.
the other Ray

February 27th, 2010, 12:55 pm #7

Know Steve from RAAF Museum days. Sent Steve a request earlier this year but he drew a blank and also suggested the heritage team, which is when I emailed them.

Oh well..just have to keep digging and nudging

PR
He used to service Catalina engines in the late 50s-early 60s whilst at TAA. I'll see if he can remember anything.

Regards

Andrew

If you say, "you can't", you won't. If you say, "I quit", then you have failed. If you say, "I'll try", then you may just conquer!

February 28th, 2010, 4:24 am #8

Hi again Peter,
This is a long shot I know, but why not contact Jim Mehan at the TAA Museum here in Melbourne (Qantas Training Centre, Airport West) he has a substantial amount of Qantas "stuff". You never know, he may be able to assist you in your quest.
the other Ray

February 28th, 2010, 4:24 am #9

He used to service Catalina engines in the late 50s-early 60s whilst at TAA. I'll see if he can remember anything.

Regards

Andrew

If you say, "you can't", you won't. If you say, "I quit", then you have failed. If you say, "I'll try", then you may just conquer!