Poll for a bit of fun: if I could have my very own warbird.....

Poll for a bit of fun: if I could have my very own warbird.....

February 3rd, 2010, 4:57 am #1

I would have a Hawker Tempest, and I would paint it like this.....

Can just see it sitting on the grass at any airshow, warming up the Sabre engine,and then doing a low, but very fast fly by up the crowd line.

If only....

Cheers,

Jeff M

February 3rd, 2010, 5:57 am #2

Hmmmmmm

anything with a big prop engine..P-51..Sea Fury etc...not in a pretend WW2 colour scheme..i would have it sproosed up... gloss black with say golden feathers painted all over ..hawk/eagle face just behind the prop to give it a real bird of prey look & feel..or maybe a dragon painted on the side like the RAF Hawk T1..(the Southern Cross guys probably think a "hot rod painted P-51" is a crime against humanity!!!)

Of course part of me would like a WW1 plane not sure a Fokker Dr1 or maybe one of those early string bag contraptions- open cockpit, the cool cold breeze, few dials & panels....ohh a 1:1 scale Gotha bomber would be way cool!!!

should not have just watched the Red Baron movie or a series on WW1 aviation. pulls me from modern aircraft to fancy WW1 aircraft.

February 3rd, 2010, 6:06 am #3

Can just see it sitting on the grass at any airshow, warming up the Sabre engine,and then doing a low, but very fast fly by up the crowd line.

If only....

Cheers,

Jeff M
Spitfire for me. Love the sound of the Merlin engine, plus the shape of the bird.. n/t

February 3rd, 2010, 7:35 am #4

If only....

Cheers,

Jeff M
i would go a F1-11 1st....but it would sure eat the fuel.2nd choice ...mmm CAC sabre and then 3rd a skyhawk/ or a ME 262;)

mark

February 3rd, 2010, 8:18 am #5

If only....

Cheers,

Jeff M
I realise that this won't be a surprise but I'll take an F-4 Phantom. Preferably an E or G model but I'm not fussy. WW2 it'd be a Hurricane followed by a P-51 or Mosquito

February 3rd, 2010, 8:34 am #6

completely forgot about the F4 and the mossie,great 2 seat rides

February 3rd, 2010, 8:58 am #7

If only....

Cheers,

Jeff M
Like John, I'd go for a Spit. It would have to be a Mk.VIII in RAAF colours, of course.

But I would also like to have something with a Gypsy up front just to plod about the skies and take my time. Perhaps a Proctor, Auster or DH.60.

February 3rd, 2010, 9:32 am #8

If only....

Cheers,

Jeff M
Grumman Albatross..

ok not glamorous, not armed, did serve in wartime though so it qualifies,

Can fish from it go to isolated beaches, live a life of debauchery and be able to share the experience

When I cant get spares for engines I'll convert it to a house boat,
yeah Albatross

February 3rd, 2010, 10:06 am #9

If only....

Cheers,

Jeff M
Airacobra, Lightning or Me109 for a WWII warbird. Not that I'd actually fit in any of them, but we can but dream.

Regards

Andrew

If you say, "you can't", you won't. If you say, "I quit", then you have failed. If you say, "I'll try", then you may just conquer!

February 3rd, 2010, 10:11 am #10

If only....

Cheers,

Jeff M
Hi all,
My ideal warbird would be nothing to big or unrealastic. Maybe just a big ol ex-RAAF 707 Tanker!!! Going to all the airshows with those four big Pratt & Whittney JT3D-3Bs howling and pumping out those distinctive black smoke trails Yeah...now that's a warbird!!!.
the other Ray