Out of the box

Out of the box

March 28th, 2010, 10:30 pm #1

Is it true that this years model expo in melbourne has no out of the box categorys?
Last edited by revell222 on March 28th, 2010, 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 29th, 2010, 12:58 am #2

March 29th, 2010, 2:09 am #3

Is it true that this years model expo in melbourne has no out of the box categorys?
some kits now include P/E to step up the detail of their kits so it has created an unfair advantage. I'm no expert though. Just what I've heard.

Regards

Andrew

If you say, "you can't", you won't. If you say, "I quit", then you have failed. If you say, "I'll try", then you may just conquer!

March 29th, 2010, 9:32 am #4

Well there goes the OOB F-4F I've been doing hmmmmmmmmm

March 29th, 2010, 10:14 pm #5

nm

March 29th, 2010, 10:58 pm #6

I believe you can still enter OOB, just that it will be judged together with the entries from OOB-ENH. I certainly hope a couple PE anttennas/belts won't make or break a model. But then again I have stashed a couple grand phoenix kits which has the whole lot..Not that entering those will be automatic wins, as aftermarket parts still need to be applied with skill.

The same with junior categories. They are 'open' I reckon due to the lower number of entires. If you have an OOB/ENH category you'd need another 'other' category to cover all bases and may end up with 2 models per category...

Just join to participate.
Last edited by potchip on March 29th, 2010, 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 29th, 2010, 11:34 pm #7

I haven't entered a model comp since I was a teen and I have little interest in comps other than admiring the wonderful efforts of our brethren. I can however, appreciate the rationale behind making the contest fair to all entrants.

Nevertheless, I would have thought that rather than removing the OOB category, it would have been more sensible to divide the category to:

1.OOB - plastic only
2.OOB - including PE & resin

... or something like that.

March 30th, 2010, 1:32 am #8

But that makes sense.....can't have that :0

March 30th, 2010, 5:04 am #9

IMHO,

I dont see the point in having 2 OOB categories. Whats the point? OOB means exactly that doesnt it?

You have to ask what does OOB mean?

Normally it means building a kit, with what comes supplied in the box, and in some cases, the exception of decals is allowed.

Now if you open up a kit and it is just plastc and decals, or plastic, etch, resin, decals, masks, etc, it is still OOB.

Having the above extras doesnt always mean it's better or has an advantage either.

Look at a lot of the new kits these days and even a lot of old ones too. What do you get? Plastic, etch, vinyl, masks, resin, string, copper cables, white metal, acetate, wire, metal rods, and probably more that I cant think of.

Is OOB meant to be meaning plastic only? No.

I have seen, as I am sure a lot of you have too, many models, built OOB that crap all over models that have had every etch and resin set thrown at them.

I am sure there is also a lot of modellers that dont use these additional advantage found in the box either.

As much as there is modellers that aren't interested, or dont have the time, or the skills too.

This also relates to what I posted onhere a few months beforehand about comps and rules, and having them all working the same way.

Lets complicate the comps more hey? Why not reduce the amount of entrants, becuse there are modellers that only build OOB. Especially those that are getting into the hobby, reentering, or slowly progressing up or cant afford to use AM gear.

How many of you have also bought a few models, and building them OOB for the comp, and, well cant or wont be entering?

Leave OOB as it is, as it is known to be, and as it SHOULD be.

Glen

Glen Burns

Creative Models Australia
glen@creativemodels.com.au
www.creativemodels.com.au

March 30th, 2010, 5:59 am #10

nm
U should see my models. I should be a junior modeller haha :) n/t