Making your own jet exhaust covers-found a new way

Making your own jet exhaust covers-found a new way

March 14th, 2010, 6:05 am #1

Hi Guys,

If you've been looking at my build of the F/A-18F in Reader's Models you'll have noticed the exhausts on my 'bug' have aluminium foil on them. Well, whilst putting the front intake covers on the other day, the texture of the Steel Beach product is very similar to electrical tape. So here's what happened when I tried electrical tape on the exhausts in pictures for anyone else who may want to try it out.

[/IMG]
1. What you will need

[/IMG]
2. Wrap the electrical tape around the exhaust once but don't push out the air bubbles or creases as this adds realism. Wrap some tape back around the other way.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
3. Place the end of the exhaust in a circle template to work out how big the end cover is going to need to be.

[/IMG]
4. Place your template over a piece of tape on the cuttin board and cut your electrical tape to the required size.

[/IMG]
5. Stick over end

[/IMG]
6. Should look like this when done taping then if need be add RBF tags

[/IMG]

Regards

Andrew

If you say, "you can't", you won't. If you say, "I quit", then you have failed. If you say, "I'll try", then you may just conquer!

March 14th, 2010, 11:28 am #2

And those exhaust covers will last about a month in service and be replaced by good old exhaust bungs sown up by the safety equipo's the same as they were on our original Hornets! I remember what a pain the bag type covers were back in '86 when I started on Hornets at 2OCU......

Funny that now, almost 25 years later, I maintain 101, one of the same Hornets I did back then!

Nice job Andrew anyway, very convincing.

Cheers

Tony

March 15th, 2010, 10:16 pm #3

If you say, "you can't", you won't. If you say, "I quit", then you have failed. If you say, "I'll try", then you may just conquer!

March 16th, 2010, 2:31 am #4

Hey Andrew,

Looks nice, but a little too think if anything.

What material are the full size ones made out of? I'm thinking that maybe toilet or tissue paper might be better, especially if they were fabric, as it is a lot thinner then tape, and can drape more. WE use that all the time for mantlt covers etc on military.

Maybe some thin vinyl would work well?

Bare metal foil?

Glen

Glen Burns

Creative Models Australia
glen@creativemodels.com.au
www.creativemodels.com.au

March 16th, 2010, 5:25 am #5

The real ones are made of a sort of plasticised fabric, so it is fairly stiff when new and wears pretty quickly.

Cheers

Tony

March 16th, 2010, 6:46 am #6

And those exhaust covers will last about a month in service and be replaced by good old exhaust bungs sown up by the safety equipo's the same as they were on our original Hornets! I remember what a pain the bag type covers were back in '86 when I started on Hornets at 2OCU......

Funny that now, almost 25 years later, I maintain 101, one of the same Hornets I did back then!

Nice job Andrew anyway, very convincing.

Cheers

Tony
so are they made out of the same stuff that a semi's tautliners trailer curtains are?

Ben.

Things that make u go HMMM!

March 16th, 2010, 8:09 pm #7

As per sgt SCHULTZ, "I know nothzing" about trucks except they annoy me on the road.

Regards

Andrew

March 17th, 2010, 12:24 am #8

so are they made out of the same stuff that a semi's tautliners trailer curtains are?

Ben.

Things that make u go HMMM!
Correct n/t