Majestic Class light aircraft carrier HMAS Melbourne

Majestic Class light aircraft carrier HMAS Melbourne

April 10th, 2010, 4:21 pm #1

Hello all,

Im starting a build log for my next project the Majestic Class light aircraft carrier HMAS Melbourne which was in service with the Royal Australian Navy from 1955 until 1982. I am mainly an armour modeler and as such will need a bunch of help and I hope to get that here.

To build the project I will use:
Heller 1/400 Colossus/ Arromanches
WEM 1/400 Colossus PE
Gold Medal Models 1/400 Naval Ship
LArsenal 1/400 Bofors Twin
LArsenal 1/400 Bofors Single
LArsenal 1/400 S-2 Tracker
LArsenal 1/400 Sikorsky / Sud Aviation HSS-1 (Wessex)
ARIA 1/400 U.S. Navy Aircraft (Sea King)

For the Skyhawks I have 2 lines:
Corsair Armadas 1/350 A-4 Skyhawk: at 350 they should only be ~12% too large. Is that I deal breaker? I have no idea, yet. If they end up looking too big I have a line on an old Revell 1/400 scale USS Enterprise which has about 12 x 1/400 Skyhawk shaped blobs of plastic.

Reference material:
Topmill Publishing, Aircraft Carriers and Squadrons of the Australian Navy
Australian Naval Drawings: HMAS Melbourne (II) - Aircraft Carrier post 1971 - profile, upper decks & sections
HMAS Melbourne Deck Detailhttp://www.filefront.com/13817114/HMASm ... etail.pdf/
Phil Thompsons epic 2000 page long ~2 GB .pdf file dedicated to the Skyhawk in Aust service posted here about a year ago. Thanks buddyhttp://www.aussiemodeller.com/pages/dis ... forum.html
And about every photo and YouTube video I could find with Google

Only half of the stuff has arrived so far but here it is:

Apparently the Majestic class is basically a strengthened version of the Colossus class with almost identical hull shape. Major medications for the Melbourne include: angled flight deck; new island; new radars; new mirror landing system; catapult, enlarged elevators; extensions at the rear of the sponson upon which the island is located; extension of the stern flight deck round down, flight deck extensions on either side near the arrestor wires and a host of other minor tweaks. Despite the length of the above list there really arent any super hard steps above as the basic shapes to be scratch built are simple and the colossus hull is the right basic shape!

Inspiration for the build came from Wikipedia which had the HMAS Melbourne as its homepage a few months ago, the announcements of further delay to the OzMods 1/350 Majestic project http://www.aussiemodeller.com/pages/dis ... forum.html and Ryan Hamiltons list of all RAN ships posted on this site.

So here goes. A few photos of the basic hull being cleaned up. I needed to sand off all the raised detail as most of it is in the wrong spot and will interfere with my re arranged bofors sponsons. I was sad to see the panel lines go but oh well.

I have closed up holes not needed and opened up new holes. The hull needs a bit of filler and sanding to get clean lines

In these shots you can see some basic shapes I am adding to visible bits of the interior. I might even pose the front elevator in the down position!

Thats it for today. Can anyone suggest what colours I should paint the interior deck and bulkheads?

April 10th, 2010, 8:48 pm #2

colours. Contact him via the APMA website.

April 10th, 2010, 9:20 pm #3

Hello all,

Im starting a build log for my next project the Majestic Class light aircraft carrier HMAS Melbourne which was in service with the Royal Australian Navy from 1955 until 1982. I am mainly an armour modeler and as such will need a bunch of help and I hope to get that here.

WEM 1/400 Colossus PE

Corsair Armadas 1/350 A-4 Skyhawk: at 350 they should only be ~12% too large. Is that I deal breaker? I have no idea, yet. If they end up looking too big I have a line on an old Revell 1/400 scale USS Enterprise which has about 12 x 1/400 Skyhawk shaped blobs of plastic.

Reference material:
Australian Naval Drawings: HMAS Melbourne (II) - Aircraft Carrier post 1971 - profile, upper decks & sections
HMAS Melbourne Deck Detailhttp://www.filefront.com/13817114/HMASm ... etail.pdf/
Phil Thompsons epic 2000 page long ~2 GB .pdf file dedicated to the Skyhawk in Aust service posted here about a year ago. Thanks buddyhttp://www.aussiemodeller.com/pages/dis ... forum.html

Apparently the Majestic class is basically a strengthened version of the Colossus class with almost identical hull shape. Major medications for the Melbourne include: angled flight deck; new island; new radars; new mirror landing system; catapult, enlarged elevators; extensions at the rear of the sponson upon which the island is located; extension of the stern flight deck round down, flight deck extensions on either side near the arrestor wires and a host of other minor tweaks. Despite the length of the above list there really arent any super hard steps above as the basic shapes to be scratch built are simple and the colossus hull is the right basic shape!

Inspiration for the build came from Wikipedia which had the HMAS Melbourne as its homepage a few months ago, the announcements of further delay to the OzMods 1/350 Majestic project http://www.aussiemodeller.com/pages/dis ... forum.html and Ryan Hamiltons list of all RAN ships posted on this site.

So here goes. A few photos of the basic hull being cleaned up. I needed to sand off all the raised detail as most of it is in the wrong spot and will interfere with my re arranged bofors sponsons. I was sad to see the panel lines go but oh well.

I have closed up holes not needed and opened up new holes. The hull needs a bit of filler and sanding to get clean lines

In these shots you can see some basic shapes I am adding to visible bits of the interior. I might even pose the front elevator in the down position!

Thats it for today. Can anyone suggest what colours I should paint the interior deck and bulkheads?
As it happens the FINAL version of the 4.4GB PDF about RAN Skyhawks/Fixed Wing (& Helos) and HMAS Melbourne has been uploaded to:http://www.a4ghistory.com

A recent 1GB PDF about RAN Helos which includes all info about HMAS Melbourne available at that time is at top of the page above (dated 16 Jan 2010). Probably not much else about HMAS Melbourne was added before main 4.4GB PDF finished. However due to the nature of the RAN Fleet Air Arm all the various RAN aircraft sections also include different photos/views of the carrier with those aircraft onboard.

If you have not found the series of pages here about HMAS Melbourne then these would be useful especially for all the modifications carried out over the years:

http://users.qld.chariot.net.au/~dialab ... story2.htm
Last edited by SpazSinbad on April 10th, 2010, 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 10th, 2010, 11:01 pm #4

Hello all,

WEM 1/400 Colossus PE

Reference material:

I am hoping the OzModz 1/350 version of this model comes out in the next year or two - keep us posted on this build as I think it will give us a lot of info Melbourne-o-philes will be interested in!
Carpo

April 11th, 2010, 12:11 am #5

Hello all,

WEM 1/400 Colossus PE

Reference material:

The bow flat should be Pewter (a mid grey) the quarter deck was wooden decking.

April 11th, 2010, 1:45 am #6

My recollection would be that the internal bulkheads here are painted white. This photo has given them the wooden deck colour. It always looked very good in reality.

April 11th, 2010, 2:30 am #7

Hello all,

WEM 1/400 Colossus PE

Reference material:

All text quoted by a former AFDO building a scratch wood model with working parts at 96:1 scale (I think):

"...tell him to make sure he picks the year that he is modelling.
The external look of the ship changed over the years (e.g when the LWO2 Radar came down from the mast to the Island) and the flight deck markings also changed.

(info here will help describe some changes)

By "interior", I am assuming he means "within the ship", something you normally would not see from the outside.
If he means "interior" in the sense of the "weather decks" (ie not the outer hull) that's different.

Weather decks - the deck itself was the same grey as the hull, but had black anti-slip sections (akin to large stepping-stones) along the walkway area.
Deckheads (ceiling) was an off-white (pipes were grey and had different colour bands depending on their job - eg red for firemain)
Large vents (squareish ones) were also grey.
Railing tops where "ceremony" was conducted (ladderbays, ladders, quarterdeck, etc) were wood (lighter colour wood, not -say- jarrah)

Internal - Bulkheads, deckheads were a sort of creamy-off-whiteish colour (as best I can describe it) as were pipes and vents. Pipes also had their colour bands.
The decking was a lino material, and vaguely from memory was a light green colour (I think)

...that's as best as I remember it. I wish I had some more internal photos, but I don't. Even the colour ones that exist don't show the exact colours."

April 11th, 2010, 3:01 am #8

As it happens the FINAL version of the 4.4GB PDF about RAN Skyhawks/Fixed Wing (& Helos) and HMAS Melbourne has been uploaded to:http://www.a4ghistory.com

A recent 1GB PDF about RAN Helos which includes all info about HMAS Melbourne available at that time is at top of the page above (dated 16 Jan 2010). Probably not much else about HMAS Melbourne was added before main 4.4GB PDF finished. However due to the nature of the RAN Fleet Air Arm all the various RAN aircraft sections also include different photos/views of the carrier with those aircraft onboard.

If you have not found the series of pages here about HMAS Melbourne then these would be useful especially for all the modifications carried out over the years:

For reasons that don't need exploring right now, I've recently gotten interested in Australian naval aviation. Got the Sea Fury, Firefly, Gannett & Skyhawk in the in-tray & Tracker decals awaiting my search for the OOP Hasegawa kit. (Anyone know the easiest route to a 72nd Aussie Sea Venom?)

My interest normally stops at 1945 so I have no references & I was kind of looking forward to doing these OOB using only the decal instructions for references. Nice & easy, no massive research & anal concerns about the colour & position of the pilot relief tube (normally I do Luftwaffe & you know how bad us guys get). And if the kit ain't perfect, I don't want to know about it. Definately going down the "Well, it looks pretty much like a....." road on this one.

You've gone & ruined it by posting that link. All the detail & data I could ever want. Now I'm going to have to do it properly. Curse you!

(Well done. Top find though & wonderful link. I still hate you though. )

April 11th, 2010, 8:02 am #9

We're Navy (from Tasmania?)

April 21st, 2010, 10:13 pm #10

All text quoted by a former AFDO building a scratch wood model with working parts at 96:1 scale (I think):

"...tell him to make sure he picks the year that he is modelling.
The external look of the ship changed over the years (e.g when the LWO2 Radar came down from the mast to the Island) and the flight deck markings also changed.

(info here will help describe some changes)

By "interior", I am assuming he means "within the ship", something you normally would not see from the outside.
If he means "interior" in the sense of the "weather decks" (ie not the outer hull) that's different.

Weather decks - the deck itself was the same grey as the hull, but had black anti-slip sections (akin to large stepping-stones) along the walkway area.
Deckheads (ceiling) was an off-white (pipes were grey and had different colour bands depending on their job - eg red for firemain)
Large vents (squareish ones) were also grey.
Railing tops where "ceremony" was conducted (ladderbays, ladders, quarterdeck, etc) were wood (lighter colour wood, not -say- jarrah)

Internal - Bulkheads, deckheads were a sort of creamy-off-whiteish colour (as best I can describe it) as were pipes and vents. Pipes also had their colour bands.
The decking was a lino material, and vaguely from memory was a light green colour (I think)

...that's as best as I remember it. I wish I had some more internal photos, but I don't. Even the colour ones that exist don't show the exact colours."
Phil

I am speechless. A 5000 page .pdf. It has taken me the best part of 2 weeks to just to digest it. My cup overflows with good reference shots - Thanks

The best data I could find on RAN colours was at:http://www.aussiemodeller.com/pages/dis ... forum.html
But no real tips on how to mix from tamyia paint, or the FS numbers, or paints from White Ensign. Can anyone help me? Is the greener tint of RAN pains correct for the late 70s? Tom Hamiltons post says he uses it on a DDG but I dont know if the newer DDG (as they were at the time Melbourne was in service) were a different colour to the older British equipment.

2 more specific questions based on the below photo:
1. Does anyone have any shots of the inside of the catwalks? Looking for ideas on things to add in there: cable reels, firefighting equipment, loudspeakers, some type of blue boxes? Not sure what they are.. The best I can find are shots like the below.
2. Anyone have any idea who makes PE mesh with circular holes like this?

[/IMG]

And phil. Im going for Melbourne late in her career with Skyhawks, so probably after the LW02 came down onto the compass platform (is that the GDP) and with all of the sykhawk modifications (lots of boffors removed, extended catapult, 5 wires.. .

Thanks for all the help!

FYI I build a glacial speed so this could a be a long one!