Italeri 1/72nd C-47 prang - undercarriage gone... :(

Italeri 1/72nd C-47 prang - undercarriage gone... :(

July 4th, 2010, 11:02 am #1

Hello all,

after a long time, I finally pulled out some plastic again (an Italeri Dak), and like a rookie damaged one landing gear strut beyond repair. I say like "a rookie", because I basically crushed the strut while it was still on the sprue, when I tried to cut one fuselage half of the same sprue reeeeeally carefully... *Grrr!*

So part 36 is no more! Pranged the bird before it even got wings!!! I am now chasing after one of those struts. Does anyone of you fellas maybe have one floating around, from, say, an in-flight build or similar?

Please post here or let me know offline if you can help. Thanks so much in advance!

Cheers,

Patrick Sprau
(crushed, just like pt. 36)

July 4th, 2010, 12:07 pm #2

n/t

July 5th, 2010, 4:40 am #3

Hello all,

after a long time, I finally pulled out some plastic again (an Italeri Dak), and like a rookie damaged one landing gear strut beyond repair. I say like "a rookie", because I basically crushed the strut while it was still on the sprue, when I tried to cut one fuselage half of the same sprue reeeeeally carefully... *Grrr!*

So part 36 is no more! Pranged the bird before it even got wings!!! I am now chasing after one of those struts. Does anyone of you fellas maybe have one floating around, from, say, an in-flight build or similar?

Please post here or let me know offline if you can help. Thanks so much in advance!

Cheers,

Patrick Sprau
well you can always do a pranged version..im sure a few ended up on their bellies after a heavy landing or better yet..or perhaps skimming along the water ..probably dont do that anymore...better yet landing in a dusty enviroment, so no need to see the undercarriage..

July 5th, 2010, 7:48 am #4

Hi Andrew,

thank you for your suggestion. In this particular case though, it's not an option, as my subject choice is a no-prang one:

I've got Hawkeye's C-47 ARDU sheet here and intend to do it justice. I reckon the Dak would look best in a rather regular ground attitude, i.e all three wheels on the ground.

Thank for you taking the tiume to reply,

Patrick Sprau

July 5th, 2010, 11:27 am #5

Hello all,

Cheers,

Patrick Sprau
My Dac has a melted belly (waaaaaaay too much tube glue) and is missing an aileron. Attack plan? hoot-up an engine, partially sink it in the 'sea' and have an ASR high-speed launch rescuing the cerw. Aim all their guns and put bullet strikes in the water and it'll imply they're under attack - and lend urgency to the dio.
Problem is that I've NEVER done water before.
George, out...............

July 5th, 2010, 1:05 pm #6

Hi George,

the second time I tried to simulate water (let's not talk about the first time!), I used resin for the job - it melted the styrofoam island riiight out of the ocean! As the Mururoa factor was not intended, I had to re-do the diorama, and chose plaster. Next time round it worked like a breeze.

So DON'T place heat sensitive stuff in your 'water', if you use resin. Or go slowly, using several thin layers, and maybe some ice packs!

Good luck,

Patrick Sprau

July 5th, 2010, 10:00 pm #7

Hello all,

Cheers,

Patrick Sprau
Patrick,

I've got an AC-47 kit at home that has gone to the wreckers. I'll check for gear components this evening if you've not had any luck so far.

Mick

Green Sheep Models

July 5th, 2010, 11:18 pm #8

Hi George,

the second time I tried to simulate water (let's not talk about the first time!), I used resin for the job - it melted the styrofoam island riiight out of the ocean! As the Mururoa factor was not intended, I had to re-do the diorama, and chose plaster. Next time round it worked like a breeze.

So DON'T place heat sensitive stuff in your 'water', if you use resin. Or go slowly, using several thin layers, and maybe some ice packs!

Good luck,

Patrick Sprau
Either the poor stuff or the heat beads works a treat. Although it is self leveling so really only good for ponds and still bodies. You can rough it up with their water effects stuff. It's like selly's no more gaps.
The train guys really know their diorama stuff.

Kurt

July 6th, 2010, 12:07 am #9

I find the best stuff for a water effect is stuff called Acrylic Gel Medium ..you can get it from most or all good art supply shops...I use matisse which is an Australian company...its like a thick goo ...you can use a spatula to spread it out & to get a ripple effect roll up a plastic bag into a ball & then dab it on the gel as its drying...it dries prety much crystal clear so you can paint away in a few hours... it could probably be used to fill in goggles on figures..early on i even used to as rock formations & the base for fire during a very crappy diorama of a dragon & a knight battling it out in a cavern .... i hope to one day do an article on using the product for Frank (ModelArt) as i keep promising him an article but so far i have not done any ship kits that are in water..so far just subs..other products i have heard about required an oven or other cooking equipment to melt it or PVA glue (Gameswork shop do a water effect, but the stories i have heard its just the same as liquidfied PVA glue)

July 6th, 2010, 12:54 pm #10

Andrew,

I have some of this gel you speak of but have not used it yet. How thick a layer to you apply?
I did a small test and it took a long time to try and it was not a thick layer.
I have also heard that foil scrunched up and then flatten out makes a nice ripple effect on gel medium.

Look forward to your comments.

Tony