Help: Academy 1/350th Perry Class FFG

Help: Academy 1/350th Perry Class FFG

June 15th, 2009, 1:32 pm #1

Hi,

Just wondering if there are any versions of the kit with decals for the Royal Australian Navy as an Adelaide Class Frigate. Have googled the topic but came up blank.

White Ensign Models seem to make a nice PE set and have a resin RHIB to replace the whaler.

I saw in an earlier post that Southern Sky Models might be marketing a resin update set. I email them and they said I should get back to them next week some time.

Anyone have any idea what Eduard pre-painted figures set might work best for the RAN?

Anything else I am missing?

There is a great build of a resin HMAS Canberra ahttp://hsfeatures.com/features04/hmascanberradj_1.htm

Thanks

W
Last edited by The.other.Wayne on June 15th, 2009, 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 15th, 2009, 9:52 pm #2

Trolling a search of info here located a post from late last year that Ryan Hamilton was doing a RAN update set for the kit, plus Fleetline was doing some details as well. I picked up the Academy kit last week as a first foray into ship modelling so I would be interested to know as well.

Incidentally, I can't find a link for Fleetline and did Ryan indeed release the set?

Cheers

Tony

June 15th, 2009, 9:58 pm #3

it was posted in the market place. Sorry don't have time to find it for you. I'm sure Ryan will post images soon.

Tony

June 16th, 2009, 1:14 am #4

Thanks Tony, I searched the Market Place and found it. I have sent Ryan an e-mail.

Cheers

Tony

Brian from Nowra
Brian from Nowra

June 16th, 2009, 2:44 am #5

Hi,

Just wondering if there are any versions of the kit with decals for the Royal Australian Navy as an Adelaide Class Frigate. Have googled the topic but came up blank.

White Ensign Models seem to make a nice PE set and have a resin RHIB to replace the whaler.

I saw in an earlier post that Southern Sky Models might be marketing a resin update set. I email them and they said I should get back to them next week some time.

Anyone have any idea what Eduard pre-painted figures set might work best for the RAN?

Anything else I am missing?

There is a great build of a resin HMAS Canberra ahttp://hsfeatures.com/features04/hmascanberradj_1.htm

Thanks

W
Hi Guys,

Here is a series of photos of Ryan's update set. I'm partly hafl built mine with a bit of a change as I want to model HMAS Darwin pre update.

Hope this helps.

Brian

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Wayne
Wayne

June 16th, 2009, 10:48 am #6

Looks like a great update set guys. Its a definite must have. I like the fittings for the inside of the hangars. Thanks!

Where are you guys going to get the decals from?

FYI I found this set at White Ensign Models: Sea Master 1/350 USS Oliver Hazard Perry Class Aerials & OTO - Melara 76mm/62 Barrel Contains 4 x aerials & 1 x barrel
http://www.whiteensignmodels.com/acatal ... atalogBody

Expensive but looks nice.

W

June 17th, 2009, 2:56 am #7

aussie decals have a decal sheet with the numbers for our ships. N/T

Fleetline
Fleetline

June 17th, 2009, 5:04 am #8

Looks like a great update set guys. Its a definite must have. I like the fittings for the inside of the hangars. Thanks!

Where are you guys going to get the decals from?

FYI I found this set at White Ensign Models: Sea Master 1/350 USS Oliver Hazard Perry Class Aerials & OTO - Melara 76mm/62 Barrel Contains 4 x aerials & 1 x barrel
http://www.whiteensignmodels.com/acatal ... atalogBody

Expensive but looks nice.

W
We have both available.

After alot of study we have adopted WEM's PE (though it needs a few items & a couple of fixes.) The etch is in stock at $28 (inc post). We have a custom decal set for all modern RAN ships (particularly the FFG)at $12.50 (inc post)

As for the other needed bits, the biggest problem we have had is we really need to write an article about the changes as we have discovered, unlike hairy planes, many modellers are unfamiliar with our vessels. That's ok just makes it hard to know what people want and how far they wish to upgrade the kit. We will be releasing a small suplimentary PE set to go with WEMs as well as various upgrades in resin. Theses are virtually ready just awaiting the PE.

We have also negotiated with WEM to run a batch of corrected Storm Grey, which we should eventually have available when their paint person can get to it.

We would also like to produce a series of CDs on each of the six if there is sufficent interest. I have personally taken 1000s of photos over the years, some need scanning but if interest is there we can do it.

The metal aerials are one of concern to us as our ships have 4 mains unlike the US ships (which have 3. We can do it in brass but they'd be flat. We could try resin but they'd be fragile. Suggestions?

June 17th, 2009, 11:23 am #9

I have this in the stash with Ryan's resin but I wouldn't know how to start!
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tony

Fleetline
Fleetline

June 17th, 2009, 11:43 am #10

There have been a couple of publications over the years both on just using PE (Loren Perry's publication) to whole ships (Mike Asheys FinsScale Pub.).

Without going into too much detail, the simplest & most effective way is take note but ignore instructions. In the case of the Perry go ahead & assemble the hull, then as a sub-assembly the superstructure. Assemble the masts and radar directors (Again as sub assemblies). At that point you can start painting, including the PE, even the bits left on the sprues.

Then after the decks are painted assemble the various subassemblies to the hull & superstructure. Then the small parts and whatever details you wish to add. At least in detailing & PE work from the keel up and from inboard out.

You can decal at any point after painting. Last but not least pull it all together with a coat of flat or semi-gloss.

Need more info just ask.