Any news on the Abrams official colour scheme?

Any news on the Abrams official colour scheme?

March 29th, 2010, 11:36 am #1

I have in thought a diorama of an Abrams being loaded into a C-17.. What colour should it be?

Chris

March 29th, 2010, 12:26 pm #2

There's been 50 photos released in 2 weeks of the F/A-18F Rhinos, which are only brand new in Oz, and yet you're flat out finding 10 pictures of a MBT which is has been around for years. I haven't even seen shots of all sides yet, in the new paint.

Ben.

Things that make u go HMMM!

March 30th, 2010, 9:39 am #3

I have in thought a diorama of an Abrams being loaded into a C-17.. What colour should it be?

Chris
fresh @ SOA Pucka Safe with CARC Tan for moment with 1AR

March 30th, 2010, 9:41 am #4

Cheers mate....

March 30th, 2010, 9:48 pm #5

Chris
You will find in the next issue of several magazines , some walkaround photos of the new scheme.
-Australian & NZ Defender
-Contact
-Tankograd
Currently the fleet is being repainted in the new scheme which consists of the three colours used on the Leopards. The M88 Hercules are also being repainted. It is currently not a priority to change over but being done gradually. Currently only three of the SOAs at Pukka have been done and one M88.

As for being loaded into a C-17, there are some photos already on the ADF site of thic but with the CARC scheme.

PS Although being offered pretty much free...most Aussie mags weren't interested in the photos until they appear on the ADF site. So much for freelance photographers who had to negotiate with Defence PR for over 6 months for the access.

March 30th, 2010, 10:38 pm #6

Chris
n/t

March 30th, 2010, 11:06 pm #7

Apparently the after Abrams are refubished they go into a computer controlled paint facility. Cam schemes are preprogramed and painted by robots. If we had them delivered in a cam scheme then we would have to have had the US Army cam scheme and (not sure about this) colours as well.

So we opted for the plain sand scheme as it was easier (and probably cheaper) to apply.

That is what I heard from someone near or in the project at the time.

So now we are re-painting them as per Army requirements.

Ray
Missed it by that much!....
Last edited by Aussie747 on March 31st, 2010, 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 31st, 2010, 12:13 am #8

a thread I was reading on finescale.com some time ago about every tri-colour scheme on every M1 being exactly the same & then a slightly different arrangement of the pattern for a different vehicle but every vehicle of that type being the same

March 31st, 2010, 2:00 am #9

Apparently the after Abrams are refubished they go into a computer controlled paint facility. Cam schemes are preprogramed and painted by robots. If we had them delivered in a cam scheme then we would have to have had the US Army cam scheme and (not sure about this) colours as well.

So we opted for the plain sand scheme as it was easier (and probably cheaper) to apply.

That is what I heard from someone near or in the project at the time.

So now we are re-painting them as per Army requirements.

Ray
Missed it by that much!....
Is now not going to be fitted to Abrams. Probably wouldn't have been worth repainting them if it was to be used.

March 31st, 2010, 9:53 am #10

You will find in the next issue of several magazines , some walkaround photos of the new scheme.
-Australian & NZ Defender
-Contact
-Tankograd
Currently the fleet is being repainted in the new scheme which consists of the three colours used on the Leopards. The M88 Hercules are also being repainted. It is currently not a priority to change over but being done gradually. Currently only three of the SOAs at Pukka have been done and one M88.

As for being loaded into a C-17, there are some photos already on the ADF site of thic but with the CARC scheme.

PS Although being offered pretty much free...most Aussie mags weren't interested in the photos until they appear on the ADF site. So much for freelance photographers who had to negotiate with Defence PR for over 6 months for the access.

Defender now seems to rely pretty much on ADF images (ie a lot cheaper) than impoverished photogs