"Airport" movie series: the aircraft in 1:144th. (Wally please read)

"Airport" movie series: the aircraft in 1:144th. (Wally please read)

August 31st, 2010, 1:12 am #1

Hi all,
Having a deep and intense fascination in the "big jet movie stars", I intend to build all the aircraft, in 1:144th, that starred in the classic "Airport" series of movies. These include:
Boeing 707-349C, Trans Global Airlines, "Airport"
Boeing 747-123, Columbia Airlines, "Airport 75"
Boeing 747-123, Stevens Corporation, "Airport 77"
Concorde, Federation World Airlines, "Airport 79 The Concorde"
I have the kits needed for the project, (well, all but the Revell or Airfix Concorde. See "Market Place"). I will be using Revell 747-100s,(argubly the best ever 1:144th 747 produced), and the Minicraft 707-300. Thankfuly the colour schemes are pretty simple in all cases but I will need some custom decals made for the individual airline/aircraft titles (Hey Wally, you up for this???). I have all the movies so the "Pause" button is my friend as far as reserch is concerned but my big challenge is finding good photographic references for these aircraft. The great thing about movies of this vintage is that real aircraft had to be used, (none of this CGI rubbish back then), so the studios would lease aircraft from airlines and paint them in these ficticious colour schemes. The jets would only be in these schemes for a short time however and therefore photos of them seem to be pretty light on.
So if anyone out there has any photos of the "Airport" jets I would love to get copies to assist with this project.
Thanks in advance for any assitance
TOR
PS: After the "Airport" series is complete it's the jets form "Die Hard 2", "Passenger 57","Turbulence",and "Executive Decision"
Last edited by rayqf on August 31st, 2010, 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 31st, 2010, 2:03 am #2

Lifted from the web re Airport 75

The Boeing 747 used in the film was originally delivered to American Airlines in 1971. It was a 747-123, registration number N9675, serial number 20390; the 136th 747 off the production line. Its basic American Airlines color scheme was modified to the notional Columbia Airlines colors for filming of exterior sequences. The aircraft was flown by United Parcel Services as a freighter, re-registered N675UP until 2005.The aircraft, N9675, is now stored in Roswell aircraft storage facility, and has been withdrawn from active service with UPS.
Link this trivia
The 747 used in the film cost $30,000 per day to rent from American Airlines. All exterior shots of the aircraft (and one interior shot of Charlton Heston at the controls) were completed in two days (landing shots in Salt Lake City, aerial shots over the Wasatch mountain range in Utah, evening and early morning flight shots, and a stunt shot involving engine #1 ramming into an outbuilding). The evening taxi and takeoff shots were filmed as the plane, with the re-badged "Columbia Airlines" logo on the fuselage, was being delivered to Salt Lake City for the two days of filming.

send pictures and I'll see what I can do between my own projects

August 31st, 2010, 2:22 am #3

Fuselage titles are white edged "artistic" letters a real pain in the quoit to put it bluntly

August 31st, 2010, 3:01 am #4

Hi Wal,
Agreed that the "Columbia" titles could be a bit of a problem. I will do what I can to dig up some photos. One of the 1:400 dicast producers has issued a limited release of the "Airport 75" jet and it came with an info card that depicts, in colour no less, the Columbia logo. And Blue Box, a 1:200 dicast producer, has just released a Trans Global 707 with a colour side profile incoporated into the box art. I will arrange some colour photocopies of all this stuff and send it over to you to see what you can do with it.
I have just found some really good colour references for the Concorde from "Airport 79", (believe it or not there was even a colour side profile of this jet featured in a recent SAM magazine). It is a really simple predominently white colour scheme with red "Concorde" titles on the fuselage and tail and a red "speedbird" logo on the tail, so there should not be to many problems with this one.
The problem aircraft is the "Stevens Corporation" 747 private jet from "Airport 77". It is in a basic but highly-polished American Airlines scheme with "Stevens Corporation" titles on the fuselage, (what appears to be white on black "STEVENS" in a simple font with smaller black "CORPORATION"). There is also a stylised "S" on the tail. I have no photos of this aircraft to date, just the "Pause" button. So while apparently the simplest of all the "Airport" jet colour schemes to re-create, this aircraft may prove to be the biggest challenge.
Any help would be appreciated.
TOR

August 31st, 2010, 3:36 am #5

Hi all,
Having a deep and intense fascination in the "big jet movie stars", I intend to build all the aircraft, in 1:144th, that starred in the classic "Airport" series of movies. These include:
I have the kits needed for the project, (well, all but the Revell or Airfix Concorde. See "Market Place"). I will be using Revell 747-100s,(argubly the best ever 1:144th 747 produced), and the Minicraft 707-300. Thankfuly the colour schemes are pretty simple in all cases but I will need some custom decals made for the individual airline/aircraft titles (Hey Wally, you up for this???). I have all the movies so the "Pause" button is my friend as far as reserch is concerned but my big challenge is finding good photographic references for these aircraft. The great thing about movies of this vintage is that real aircraft had to be used, (none of this CGI rubbish back then), so the studios would lease aircraft from airlines and paint them in these ficticious colour schemes. The jets would only be in these schemes for a short time however and therefore photos of them seem to be pretty light on.
So if anyone out there has any photos of the "Airport" jets I would love to get copies to assist with this project.
TOR
PS: After the "Airport" series is complete it's the jets form "Die Hard 2", "Passenger 57","Turbulence",and "Executive Decision"
....send 'em along.  Put my CAD skills to the test..

August 31st, 2010, 3:52 am #6

blimmin' heck Damo you can do some of mine! nt

August 31st, 2010, 6:38 am #7

What format would you need them in to print?

August 31st, 2010, 7:02 am #8

Hi all,
TOR
This may amuse you - I painted a set of 25mm (ie 1" tall) figures from the Lord of the Rings - Fellowship of the Ring movie. I spent something like 20 hours going carefully through the movie, winding, rewinding and pausing, to get as much as possible of the details of the costumes.

Then I noticed that the DVD came with a stills gallery with closeups of all the major characters' costumes and equipment used in the film.

September 2nd, 2010, 7:06 am #9

Hi all,
TOR
"Flying High"??
George, out.............

September 2nd, 2010, 7:15 am #10

nt