AIRBRUSHING TIPS

AIRBRUSHING TIPS

April 2nd, 2010, 2:05 am #1

I have had a lot of phone calls and emails the past few months from cutomers/modellers wanting to know the best way to look after an airbrush, thin the paints, air pressure settings etc. And with the below 2 AB posts, I thought I would give these tips and info.

This is how I work, and what I reccomend.

Looking after an AB

Being an expensive, invaluable and delicate tool, before and after use care is needed.

1. Dont mix paint and thinner in the cup (gravity feed) you have a good chance of bending your needle, and also damaging your tip.

2. You dont always have to clean the AB between colours. Even less so when using similar colours, blacks, greys, browns, greens etc

3. Suck out/pour out the ramining paint, bak into your paint jar.

4. Just a small squirt of general purpose thinners, a quick wipe with cotton bud, and a small blow throw between colours. This takes 10 seconds.

5. If changing to a totlly different colour, say black to white, matt to gloss, give the it a longer, more thorogh clean.

6. To give your nozzle a quick clean, or to unblock paint inside, cover the nozell with your finger, push down for air, and gently pull back the trigger, while you have clean thinners in the cup. Do this gently, as it will bubleand splash back.

7. To clean after your spraying session, repeat the top 3 steps, replacing the thinners as it gets dirty with clean thinners. When it stays clean, the AB is clean. Half fill the cup with thinners, and replace cap until the next spray session.

When the AB needs a really good clean, i.e. needs to be pulled apart.

1. Apply steps 4 - 5 as above, to make sure there is no dried paint inside that will stick to the needle.

2. Carefully pull apart AB using the tools suplied.

3. Always slide the needle out towards the nozle, sliding in or out the other way can cause the needle to bend or break.

4. Use clean thinners in a clean jar and fill.

5. Give parts a quick clean with thinners first, and then drop into jar.

6. Becareful you dont drop the nozle tip, they are tiny.

7. Use a toothpick and thinners to lightly clean the inside of the nozzle.

8. Soak all parts in thinners over night.

9. Clean the body

Reassembly

1. Basicly the aboe in reverse.

2. Give all threaded parts, and the outsde of the nozzle a wipe with vaso. Just a little, dont over do.

3. Do the same for the needle, yes, the needle.

4. 1 tiny tiny drop of machine oil ino the top of the air valve.

5. Reassamble carefully.

6. Clean thinners into the cup, and spray it all the way through. This does two things. Removes excess oil and vaso Gives you an ide of how it will be spraying.

And your done. How long does it take? I could do the aboe with 6 AB in the time it took to type all of that, and probably 4 in the time it took for you to read it. It is really quick and easy.

Thinners.

What to use on what type of paints.

I use 4 paints, Tamiya acrylic, White Ensign Models, Humbrol and Model master enamels.

I thin them all with generl purpose thinners.

I have found that this gives way more consistance then Tamiya thinners, water, alcohol etc, more control, ease of paint flow, smoother paint finish, and also no fish eyes.

Tamiya acrilycs I generaly thin by 100%
The enamels by 50 - 75 %

I also have 40ml jars, all labeled for the above paints by name, code and paint colour, which I have all of my pre thinned paint in. This gives me easier and quicker spraying, no mucking around thinning paints every time I want to spray, and anything left inhe cup, goes back into the paint jar.

Hope this is helpfull to someone.

Glen

Glen Burns

Creative Models Australia
glen@creativemodels.com.au
www.creativemodels.com.au

April 2nd, 2010, 3:41 am #2

Nice work mate. I even learnt something :) n/t

April 2nd, 2010, 5:13 am #3

No probs Paul.

Will do some more on airbrushing and more, if anyone is interested.

Glen

Glen Burns

Last edited by CreativeModelsAustralia on April 2nd, 2010, 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 3rd, 2010, 11:06 am #4

I have had a lot of phone calls and emails the past few months from cutomers/modellers wanting to know the best way to look after an airbrush, thin the paints, air pressure settings etc. And with the below 2 AB posts, I thought I would give these tips and info.

Looking after an AB

Being an expensive, invaluable and delicate tool, before and after use care is needed.

1. Dont mix paint and thinner in the cup (gravity feed) you have a good chance of bending your needle, and also damaging your tip.

2. You dont always have to clean the AB between colours. Even less so when using similar colours, blacks, greys, browns, greens etc

4. Just a small squirt of general purpose thinners, a quick wipe with cotton bud, and a small blow throw between colours. This takes 10 seconds.

5. If changing to a totlly different colour, say black to white, matt to gloss, give the it a longer, more thorogh clean.

6. To give your nozzle a quick clean, or to unblock paint inside, cover the nozell with your finger, push down for air, and gently pull back the trigger, while you have clean thinners in the cup. Do this gently, as it will bubleand splash back.

7. To clean after your spraying session, repeat the top 3 steps, replacing the thinners as it gets dirty with clean thinners. When it stays clean, the AB is clean. Half fill the cup with thinners, and replace cap until the next spray session.

1. Apply steps 4 - 5 as above, to make sure there is no dried paint inside that will stick to the needle.

3. Always slide the needle out towards the nozle, sliding in or out the other way can cause the needle to bend or break.

9. Clean the body

Reassembly

2. Give all threaded parts, and the outsde of the nozzle a wipe with vaso. Just a little, dont over do.

5. Reassamble carefully.

6. Clean thinners into the cup, and spray it all the way through. This does two things. Removes excess oil and vaso Gives you an ide of how it will be spraying.

And your done. How long does it take? I could do the aboe with 6 AB in the time it took to type all of that, and probably 4 in the time it took for you to read it. It is really quick and easy.

Thinners.

I use 4 paints, Tamiya acrylic, White Ensign Models, Humbrol and Model master enamels.

I have found that this gives way more consistance then Tamiya thinners, water, alcohol etc, more control, ease of paint flow, smoother paint finish, and also no fish eyes.

The enamels by 50 - 75 %

I also have 40ml jars, all labeled for the above paints by name, code and paint colour, which I have all of my pre thinned paint in. This gives me easier and quicker spraying, no mucking around thinning paints every time I want to spray, and anything left inhe cup, goes back into the paint jar.

Glen

Glen Burns

glen when you say 100% with tamyia paint etc so that means 1:1???

im still learning;)

April 4th, 2010, 12:37 am #5

Hi Mark,

Yes that is correct.

First add 3ml of thinners to the tamiya paint, and ive a good stir and shake, and then I empty the Tamiya paint into a 40ml jar.

I then add 3ml of thinners at a time to the tamiya jar, several times, to get the remaining paint, and add to the 40 ml jar, and then top it of with more thinners untill full.

You may want to try 50% first, as paint thinning and air pressures are a personal choice. I have found this works best for me, with the way I spray. You may like it thinner or thicker. It really does come down to what you feel comfortable with and like and what works foryou.

Glen

Glen Burns

April 4th, 2010, 6:33 am #6

Looking after an AB

9. Clean the body

Reassembly

5. Reassamble carefully.

Thinners.

The enamels by 50 - 75 %

Glen

Glen Burns

Something that might be able to be pinned once we have our new forums up :D

IN PROGRESS:-

Lincoln Decal Poll
http://www.misterpoll.com/polls/446490