Unknown Air Gun that we would like to identify

Unknown Air Gun that we would like to identify

April 18th, 2012, 9:27 pm #1

A friend has an old air rifle that has no markings that we can find beyond a serial number on the butt plate. 2xxx.

While grazing the Interned, I found that the rifle appears on the cover the Bluebook of Airgun Values, 7th Edition. It is the second one down from the top in the picture of 4 airguns.

The air piston is exposed and nickel plated. The stock is walnut with some checkering. It cocks the cylinder by a lever that also serves as the trigger guard. It is in pretty nice condition with a well blued barrel and open sights. I slugged the barrel and found it is about 22 caliber with very wide lands. The barrel may be tighter at the muzzle than further down the bore as it seemed much easier to push the lead slug down it once past the first couple inches. The bore looks pretty good.

Does anyone have that edition and would be willing to pass along the information? What? Where? When? Wild guess as to value?

I don't think he is in the market to sell it but has owned the gun for a few decades and has never been able to find out much about it.

Thanks in advance!
Dave Thomas

(by the way I shoot two modern air rifles (a Walther & a FWB 300.)

April 18th, 2012, 9:44 pm #2

...but here's the pic. Some type of gallery rifle methinks, but many here know far more than me about such things.

April 18th, 2012, 9:48 pm #3

Thanks for the addition. I didn't have the picture handy!!!

Dave

April 19th, 2012, 12:58 am #4

A friend has an old air rifle that has no markings that we can find beyond a serial number on the butt plate. 2xxx.

While grazing the Interned, I found that the rifle appears on the cover the Bluebook of Airgun Values, 7th Edition. It is the second one down from the top in the picture of 4 airguns.

The air piston is exposed and nickel plated. The stock is walnut with some checkering. It cocks the cylinder by a lever that also serves as the trigger guard. It is in pretty nice condition with a well blued barrel and open sights. I slugged the barrel and found it is about 22 caliber with very wide lands. The barrel may be tighter at the muzzle than further down the bore as it seemed much easier to push the lead slug down it once past the first couple inches. The bore looks pretty good.

Does anyone have that edition and would be willing to pass along the information? What? Where? When? Wild guess as to value?

I don't think he is in the market to sell it but has owned the gun for a few decades and has never been able to find out much about it.

Thanks in advance!
Dave Thomas

a Bunge revolving repeater side-lever cocking gallery gun.

What you describe (trigger-guard lever cocking) is either a German "Bügelspanner" or a similar American-made "St. Louis type" gallery rifle. A picture or two would likely help to determine its origin - we'd like to see it.

You can also search "Bugelspanner" on this forum to see some previous posts.

Don R.

April 19th, 2012, 1:57 pm #5

Thanks in advance!
Dave Thomas

Thanks for the leads! I looked at the pictures and am nearly positive it is a Bugelspanner. The main difference that I see is the barrel release lever is very prominent and large relative to those I see in the pictures. From what I can see my friend's rifle is in better condition than most of those shown.

My friend is coming by later today so we can take some pictures. I will post them this evening. He told me that he put a 22cal pellet in it this morning and "rang" a bucket at about 100 feet so it works and has some power.

April 20th, 2012, 3:21 pm #6

Thanks in advance!
Dave Thomas

Here is the url to a public album on photobucket for the Bugelspanner. I couldn't figure out how to properly get them directly attached to this note.

I will try again!! If someone can let me know the magic incantation, I will get them inserted.

http://s1154.photobucket.com/albums/p521/dtdtdtdtdt/

April 20th, 2012, 3:25 pm #7

I appear to have been successful getting the pictures added using the url. Hope this is true!

Thanks for your help.

Dave

April 20th, 2012, 6:03 pm #8

Here is the url to a public album on photobucket for the Bugelspanner. I couldn't figure out how to properly get them directly attached to this note.

I will try again!! If someone can let me know the magic incantation, I will get them inserted.

April 20th, 2012, 6:14 pm #9

As supected, the gun has the earmarks of a German Bügelspanner (shape of stock, trigger guard, cylinder proportions, etc.) . The unusual detail is the barrel latch, which normally takes the form of a little tab moving forward parallel to the barrel, on the right side of the forend. This suggests the gun is not an Oscar Will product, as I've not seen such a latch on any "Original Will" guns...but there were various makers back in the day.

Don R.

April 20th, 2012, 9:04 pm #10

have this, he bought it in Germany, it has been sitting in a stand at a shooting range