S&W pellet guns

S&W pellet guns

December 11th, 2011, 6:31 pm #1

I recently purchased 3 S&W pellet guns.
78G - 79G - 77A
The 2 gas models need new O-rings and won't hold the CO2 charge.
The air rifle won't pressurize when attempting to pump it up.
Does anyone have any information on these they would be willing to share such as:
What o-rings do I need for the gas models.
Instructions on dismantling and resealing the 77A air rifle and gas pistols?
I was going to get these ready for the grand kids for Christmas if I can find parts and information on repairing them.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide
Jim

December 12th, 2011, 12:45 am #2

alan at www.abairgun.com and see if he can get you the parts. not sure, but i think crosman made the guns for s & w.

December 12th, 2011, 1:15 am #3

78G - 79G - 77A
Does anyone have any information on these they would be willing to share such as:
I was going to get these ready for the grand kids for Christmas if I can find parts and information on repairing them.

Jim
Congratulations on your purchase of the Smith and Wesson air pistols. They are great pistols built by S&W and should give you years of fun. I have rebuilt 2 with rebuild kits from Rick at Precision Pellet:http://www.airgunshop.net/index.html 717-382-1481

Be sure you get not just the o-rings, but the valve as well. The original valve looks like a small chrome steel rod with a brass knob on the end. The modern replacement I have used has the same steel rod but with a plastic knob on the end.

The most challenging part for me was getting the metal tube that surrounds the power adjuster out of the gun. I used 2 small screw drivers, crossed like chop-sticks to leverage it from the inside to pull it out. Good luck, its not that bad.

Craig

December 12th, 2011, 1:49 am #4

78G - 79G - 77A

Jim
Thanks to all for the leads, I will follow up on both.
Thanks
Jim

December 12th, 2011, 5:49 pm #5

78G - 79G - 77A

Jim
Yeah, re-seal kits are available from Rick at Precision Pellet. Peter Ruut also services these, and may have kits as well, I know he sells hi-power mod kits for the pistols. Maybe Bryan & Assoc too, and AB.

My understanding was that S&W hired away some of the Crosman mechanical engineers, who then developed these guns. Thats one reason you see some similarities in design. And kept parts and repairs in-house until sold off to Daisy, hence there aren't many original parts out there since they never circulated.

The 77A is kind of a bitch to re-seal. Lots of parts, so take lots of pictures as you go. And, I recall there's a funny little trick regarding the valve, sorta like the Cros 600 with the set bushings that require screw pressure to remove, something like that.

Some repair guys use a jig to get the gun back together, since it takes about 6 hands to do otherwise. Here's a couple of pics of the valve;

December 14th, 2011, 1:56 am #6

Thanks for your response. I have my camera handy as I dismantle. I am to the point of dismantling the valve body to get to the same place as your pic indicates. I would imagine the 2 metal bushing which are threaded in the I.D. are pulled out of the valve body somehow. Will have to find a screw of that pitch and dia to fab a mini puller?
Jim

December 18th, 2011, 4:41 am #7

My notes say it is a 4-40 thread, you just get a hex head bolt and screw it in, the bushing is forced out.

Pacific Airgun Expo
email: pae@pacificairgunexpo.com

January 1st, 2012, 8:37 pm #8

78G - 79G - 77A

Jim
Thanks for all your help, I was able to get the parts I need from Rick at Precision.
I started to dismantle the 78G. I took out the sleeve retaining screw then the power extension adjustment rod followed.
The next part to remove is giving me trouble, the extension sleeve. It is supposed to drop out but won't budge.
Anyone else have this problem and any suggestions to remove? I think it is stuck in the lower frame, seems to be loose in the slide.
New at pellet guns but am starting to learn but could use a little more help.
Thanks in advance
Jim.

January 2nd, 2012, 9:52 pm #9

78G - 79G - 77A

Jim
I found a tip on using a red head expandable anchor to remove the power adjuster sleeve.
Used a 1/4 by 3&1/2 red head expanding anchor to remove the sleeve. Worked great.
Got the .22 rebuilt and back together, it shoots great now onto the .17 rebuild.
Thanks for everyone's help.
Jim

January 3rd, 2012, 11:00 pm #10

78G - 79G - 77A

Jim
Well both the 78G & 79G are rebuilt and shoot great.
They are surprisingly powerful.
Now it's on to the S&W 77A I bought that also needs to be rebuilt.
Got the rifle dismantled but could not get the air valve apart.
I tried to pull the studs out on the sides of the air valve with a 4-40 screw.
The screw broke off in the stud. I drilled out the stud and tried to remove the remainder with a screw extractor but that broke off in the threaded hole in the stud.
I tried the other stud but it also would not move so I stopped before I screwed that one up also.
Can these air valves still be purchased or any help on suggestions to try removing the extractor and the studs?
Thanks in advance.
Jim