Refinishing Burgo HW35 Advise.

Refinishing Burgo HW35 Advise.

July 26th, 2011, 7:22 am #1

Hi,I am starting to refinish an early pre-Rekord Burgo HW35.Can anyone with experience of these early weihrauchs let me know if the front sight is removable with a drift.It appears the securing screw is set at a forward angle through the top of the ramp and when removed presumably the whole assembly can be moved forward off the barrel?I assume the front sight is a casting and so will not take to blueing if left in place when the barrel is blued.Many thanks in advance.

July 26th, 2011, 12:13 pm #2

If you could possibly post a pic, it would help...there is a bewildering variety of sights on older HW's!

July 26th, 2011, 4:13 pm #3

http://www.network54.com/Forum/405945/m ... ont+sights+.

Hi Mike,At the above link there is a brochure of 50's HW sights originally posted by 'Frakor'.The front sight I have on my 35 to be refinished is the same as the one shown here.I wonder if you would also know whether or not a current production HW35 piston will work correctly in a pre-Rekord long trigger block 35.Many thanks,Mark.

July 27th, 2011, 4:40 pm #4

Your assumption is correct. The end of that rear securing screw in the sight ramp sits in a small recess on the barrel. With the screw out the sight ramp can be tapped off the muzzle.

I am fairly sure that a piston from a pre-Rekord HW 35 will NOT work in a newer gun. While I've never had one of the older ones apart, I imagine the "hook" on the end of the rod is different; on some earlier triggers the hook is actually on TOP of the rod instead of the bottom!

Hopefully Frank or Garvin or someone else with more mechanical expertise on the oldsters will chime in...!

July 27th, 2011, 8:49 pm #5

Many thanks for your help I will now try very carefully to drift off the front sight and let you know the results.I will investigate further the suitability of a late HW35 piston in a pre-Rekord 35 though this may now not be so necessary as I believe I am being sent a correct piston.Regards,Mark.

July 27th, 2011, 10:25 pm #6

Your assumption is correct. The end of that rear securing screw in the sight ramp sits in a small recess on the barrel. With the screw out the sight ramp can be tapped off the muzzle.

I am fairly sure that a piston from a pre-Rekord HW 35 will NOT work in a newer gun. While I've never had one of the older ones apart, I imagine the "hook" on the end of the rod is different; on some earlier triggers the hook is actually on TOP of the rod instead of the bottom!

Hopefully Frank or Garvin or someone else with more mechanical expertise on the oldsters will chime in...!
fitting the earlier cylinders, Mike, but just for the rekord(!) here are some pics of the piston [originally from a long trigger block pre-Rekord HW35 # 8xxx] that will soon be winging its way to mrto.

The rifle didn't come with one of the exotic match triggers with an "overhead" sear, but this more conventional one:

Here are the piston pics:

------------------------------<p>
The Vintage Diana Forum </p><p>The Vintage BSA Forum
</p>

July 29th, 2011, 9:51 am #7

My sincere thanks to Garvin for sending me the replacement piston for the Burgo HW35 I am restoring.It arrived this morning complete and also with a perfectly serviceable leather seal as an added bonus,ATB.