Parting out of Vintage Airguns

Parting out of Vintage Airguns

March 23rd, 2016, 4:07 pm #1

Recently, I have noticed on auction sites such as eBay and gb the parting out of what seems to be fully functional vintage airguns. In light of the fact that the pool of vintage airguns is continually reducing due to natural attrition, it is bothersome to me to see this happening. As an example, I saw a 1936 Daisy 25 being auctioned as 2 separate parts on eBay. Obviously, this is being done to maximize income. I have no issue with parting out when an air gun is non-operational. Although I respect the right of property owners to do as they wish with their own property, it just gives me a little heartburn when I see it. Is it just me or are other vintage air gun lovers suffering from heartburn also?

Fred S.

March 23rd, 2016, 6:07 pm #2

Hello Fred,
I will note that in the case of e-bay it's my belief that these items are often parted out so that the auction will not be cancelled since only "authorized" parties are allowed to sell functional items.

I wish Johnny would simply be allowed to sell his grandpa's pristine antique that just sat in the closet for the last 70 years. Some sellers can list powerful, larger caliber pcp's and others can't even sell a complete bb gun.

Phil

March 23rd, 2016, 9:13 pm #3

Recently, I have noticed on auction sites such as eBay and gb the parting out of what seems to be fully functional vintage airguns. In light of the fact that the pool of vintage airguns is continually reducing due to natural attrition, it is bothersome to me to see this happening. As an example, I saw a 1936 Daisy 25 being auctioned as 2 separate parts on eBay. Obviously, this is being done to maximize income. I have no issue with parting out when an air gun is non-operational. Although I respect the right of property owners to do as they wish with their own property, it just gives me a little heartburn when I see it. Is it just me or are other vintage air gun lovers suffering from heartburn also?

Fred S.
here in the UK too. Some vintage airguns are worth a lot more as parts than they are together as one gun, so if you have time on your hands you can make more money. It is a shame when you see a functional gun broken up, no doubt, but I suppose another way to see it is that one gun in bits can help rescue several others that are incomplete.

March 25th, 2016, 4:59 pm #4

Fred S.
...is walk over to Schmidt Family Airguns (they always have several tables at the Baldwinsville show) and start fishing out decrepit relics out of their piles of parts guns and have them restored. I don't have the skill or tools to do it myself, so I turn them over to Tim Schmidt (no relation). In 2014 I picked out a first Variant 140 with the finger tip re-cock still on it for $5 and had Tim restore it and convert it to 25 cal., keeping the original breech. Last year I yanked out a Kessler Junior Stock model that somehow everybody had missed the day before for $10. It looks good as new now, with a blonde stock due to 7 coats of linseed oil. For the price of a decent original shooter you can get a beautifully restored gun. So some guns do get saved, and yes I had to spend some money. But to me this is a hobby, not a business venture.

March 26th, 2016, 5:20 am #5

I agree that resurrecting an old air gun out of miscellaneous parts from dead specimens is great fun. My collection includes several vintage airguns in various stages of restoration waiting for me to locate parts. My issue is when a fine old complete and functioning piece is being auctioned off in parts to increase profit. This is perfectly within the owner's rights and profit is the name of the game for a business, but I'm just not thrilled to see it.

Fred