Not an oldie, but close

Not an oldie, but close

September 11th, 2017, 3:59 pm #1

This is one I built a couple yrs ago, just now put on an old 10x Litschert scope...
30 caliber tap loader co2,gets around 16 shots at 575-620 on a good day...
Sorry for image size, don't know how to make 'em smaller
Mike

September 11th, 2017, 8:12 pm #2

Love it. Did you use any published design plans for the action?

September 11th, 2017, 8:32 pm #3

It's my own...(for better or worse) I like outside lock guns and ball guns,so I combined the two...
it was originally a 40 cal, but downsizing it made for better performance
Mike

September 12th, 2017, 7:32 am #4

That's great.

It's very much part of the history of the air gun that the production of simple outside lock airgun was within the means of any good village mechanic. None of the regular gun-making skills are required.

If you ever want another challenge, you might want to take a look at the Bourgeoys’ Airgun design, which is widely credited as being the earliest of all known pneumatic designs. I think it is a brilliant design and, as far as I know, has never ever been reproduced. I started a thread about it some time back on this forum. One of the real nice thing is that, unlike just about every other early airgun designer, we have a picture of Bourgeoys. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marin_le_Bourgeoys

September 12th, 2017, 4:29 pm #5

This is one I built a couple yrs ago, just now put on an old 10x Litschert scope...
30 caliber tap loader co2,gets around 16 shots at 575-620 on a good day...
Sorry for image size, don't know how to make 'em smaller
Mike

Mike, it's really great to see your creations here! Hope there are many more to come.

I'm certainly no computer expert, but there are different ways to downsize the image.

Some photo-hosting sites set up different sizes for different uses, or allow you to choose a size manually. For a forum something less than 1MB size is plenty.

If you need to size the image prior to hosting it, most PC's have the simple graphics program "Paint." If you open the picture in Paint, you can re-size it easily. It gives you some options, to me the simplest is to choose a percentage of the original image dimensions. It looks like 25% to 30% would be about right for yours.

September 12th, 2017, 4:40 pm #6

That's great.

It's very much part of the history of the air gun that the production of simple outside lock airgun was within the means of any good village mechanic. None of the regular gun-making skills are required.

If you ever want another challenge, you might want to take a look at the Bourgeoys’ Airgun design, which is widely credited as being the earliest of all known pneumatic designs. I think it is a brilliant design and, as far as I know, has never ever been reproduced. I started a thread about it some time back on this forum. One of the real nice thing is that, unlike just about every other early airgun designer, we have a picture of Bourgeoys. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marin_le_Bourgeoys
I was trying for something totally different, not duplicating any previous designs. I'm not aware of any antique rifles that combine an outside lock and ball reservoir...
I'm not sure that I even know what regular gunmaking skills are,so I probably don't have them..
but I did make 3 pistols in the same style because I really like the striking mechanism...
I'd never be able to afford most of the antiques out there, even if they were shootable,so I satisfy myself by making them..

September 12th, 2017, 4:41 pm #7

Mike, it's really great to see your creations here! Hope there are many more to come.

I'm certainly no computer expert, but there are different ways to downsize the image.

Some photo-hosting sites set up different sizes for different uses, or allow you to choose a size manually. For a forum something less than 1MB size is plenty.

If you need to size the image prior to hosting it, most PC's have the simple graphics program "Paint." If you open the picture in Paint, you can re-size it easily. It gives you some options, to me the simplest is to choose a percentage of the original image dimensions. It looks like 25% to 30% would be about right for yours.
I'll try

September 13th, 2017, 7:25 am #8

I was trying for something totally different, not duplicating any previous designs. I'm not aware of any antique rifles that combine an outside lock and ball reservoir...
I'm not sure that I even know what regular gunmaking skills are,so I probably don't have them..
but I did make 3 pistols in the same style because I really like the striking mechanism...
I'd never be able to afford most of the antiques out there, even if they were shootable,so I satisfy myself by making them..
The history of the outside lock air gun has never been a subject of any serious study. From what I can determine, the outside lock is likely the oldest of all airgun battery designs, other than the Bourgeoys, as already mentioned. The Bourgeoys dates to 1608 and the first mention of an airgun used in battle is 1634, during the 30 Years war. My guess is that the airguns in 1634 were likely outside lock airguns.

I suspect that if we were able to assemble a complete inventory of all outside lock airguns produced over the centuries that a few ball reservoir types would be included. The reason being that the high pressure pneumatic sphere was a staple of scientific instrument makers and would have been readily available to almost anyone. Obviously, at some point the butt resevior design came into being and seems to have completely predominated outside lock air guns starting sometime in the 1700s.

To tell if your lock design is unique, we'd have to have look inside and compare your design to those seen in Wolff's Air Gun Batteries.

September 15th, 2017, 1:52 am #9

I'm ok with it's uniqueness...same goes for my mule ear air pistols

September 15th, 2017, 9:49 am #10

Well, can't really credit you with a unique design, if you're not willing to show us exactly what it is you have.

There have been any number of designs to release air from a bottom mounted tank as seen in the definitive Wolff's "Air Gun Batteries"

My first take on a design like yours would that it might include a bell crank to transfer the energy from the rear of the hammer directly to the exhaust valve of the tank. But, there are certainly other ways of accomplishing the same thing. Taking the energy off the front of the hammer, a double bar battery could be used.

Bottom line: the only way of declaring a new battery design is to examine it against those seen in Wolff's book on the subject. If for some reason you don't want to supply pictures of your design, then, get a copy of Air Gun Batteries and make a close study of it. From that, you can then prove the uniqueness of your design by drawing it using the same symbolic characters.

It would be simply lovely to be able to declare that a new, innovative air gun battery --unlike any seen before in history has been invented-- But......