need to know where to get some hw-55 parts

need to know where to get some hw-55 parts

April 29th, 2012, 12:07 pm #1

i have a nice hw-55 . its been very nice to me but she started telling me its time for a little tlc i need a new leather piston seal, leather breech sea, and a new main spring . this has to be the nicest shooting air rifle i ever owned and ive had a few . im new to this forum but not to air guns . im on the yellow ,but didnt know this place existed . any help is much appreciated

jz2

April 29th, 2012, 11:50 pm #2

here is a link to instruction on making your own.

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2007/12/ ... -seal.html

April 30th, 2012, 12:19 am #3

thank you jim i will try that approach as i miss shooting the fine old hw . that has to be 1 of the best spring guns ive ever shot . and rekford triggers cant be beat

PZ1

April 30th, 2012, 12:25 am #4

Excellent source.
Pete

HW3

April 30th, 2012, 1:18 am #5

i have a nice hw-55 . its been very nice to me but she started telling me its time for a little tlc i need a new leather piston seal, leather breech sea, and a new main spring . this has to be the nicest shooting air rifle i ever owned and ive had a few . im new to this forum but not to air guns . im on the yellow ,but didnt know this place existed . any help is much appreciated

HW3

April 30th, 2012, 1:21 am #6

May 1st, 2012, 5:22 pm #7

This will cause both historical purists and expert tuners to recoil in horror, but I've had good luck using modern synthetic HW seals in older HW 55's. There is a nice metal adapter made which screws to the front of the piston (using the same screw that secured the leather seal), and onto which you simply snap a modern HW plastic seal. The HW 55 uses the same seal as the R7, though older one may take some tweaking for the optimal fit.

I have done this to three older HW 55's, and two of them shoot superbly. The third isn't bad, but would probably be even better, I were a more competent mechanic!

You can also use the modern plastic breech seals in the 55, but it takes some very careful trimming--not a drop-in fit. I have also done this successfully. The leather ones can still be had from German suppliers, and probably from JG Airguns, etc.

You cannot do better than one of Jim Maccari's springs, and I would highly recommend purchasing the full kit with one of his custom-fit spring guides. I've installed a half dozen of those, with delightful results each time--it's one of the few things you can do to make the superb HW 55 even better!

May 1st, 2012, 8:18 pm #8

Did a minor tune on my San Rafael 55T,spring, old school buttons and lube, piston seal. I did "grind" the spring face however as shown with the idea no evidence) that this would reduce forces off central axis upon expansion. In any case the shot cycle is just simply wonderful, a solid thump (with the springer "jolt" we come to love) but no vibration or twang.
set up, alu channel, clamp,

bench stone

getting there

flatter

stands by self - all done

John

May 5th, 2012, 12:44 am #9

thank you guys . i just found a new leather seal and its on the way . of all the places, i was ordering some stuff from p.a. and ask about a seal. the boss came on the phone and said i have several . its on the way