Just "how important" is condition.............to you?

Just "how important" is condition.............to you?

April 4th, 2012, 9:31 pm #1

I'm just curious, I guess.

I have a friend who collects, restores and rides old, Japanese motorcycles. Both he and I agree, that "condition" is the single-most important factor in enjoying ANY particular hobby.

As I have often told Bill, "I would rather have a mint condition, Honda 50 mini-trail, than a POS Honda 750 that's been repainted in flat-black, and made into a cafe-racer, and runs like crap."

I feel the same way about airguns.

I would rather have a "minty" Sheridan Blue Streak from 1975, than a beat to a pulp, FWB 124 with cracked stock, rust, weak spring, bad breach seals, and hand-painted, fluorescent front sights, etc.

I'm not saying everything always has to be perfect, but "too me" when push comes to shove, and with all else being equal, as long as an airgun is "original" or "restored to original specs" and looks as close to "new condition" as possible, that is the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT ASPECT, I can think of.

............doesn't matter if it's an old Red Ryder or a Benji 342, Sheridan Blue Streak or HW55 Tyrolean, but AS LONG AS THE CONDITION SPEAKS FOR ITSELF, I can get excited about just about ANYTHING within any given hobby!

Agree? Disagree?

Put another way, the "memory" of vintage ANYTHING, is primarily "enhanced" by it's condition of originality, just as it came from the factory to the showroom!

We see so much written about the importance of extreme accuracy, and I understand that aspect of the sport. But, what about the finite number of pristine condition examples of a given make and model? ie, the fact that someone, or many different "someone's" have taken such good CARE of said air rifle or pistol over so many decades? Hmm?

I guess it's just a quirk of mine.........."minty condition" examples of just about anything that brings back a fond memory, gets my attention immediately, even if it's not exactly my idea of what I would normally get too excited about.

Yes, condition is a real, determinate factor too me.

Your thoughts?

April 4th, 2012, 9:59 pm #2

Have to admit I'm kinda a snob. Now it doesn't have to be perfect but it better be way above average. But the over welming factor is style. I'm sure we all have a diffrent definition but an ugly gun in mint condition is still ugly

Any thing 40 plus years old is hard to get MINB. For me it just has to be....

Not perfect, not all OEM but sharp...

[/img]

[/img]

Style....
[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

April 4th, 2012, 10:08 pm #3

So,.................tell me praytell, what are those top 2 bikes? At first glance, I thought that first one was a 1972 Harley Mini-Bike, but now I'm not so sure? Rupp? Steen? Italian?

About 10 years ago, I spotted an old, 1969 Honda Mini-Trail 50 NIB, unassembled, dry storaged, in Arizona, on Ebay for about $2500 cash. If I would have had the money, I would have bought it in a SECOND! So many childhood memories, and all of that in NEW IN THE BOX, UNASSEMBLED, dry storaged, non-rusted, unfired, condition!

PRICELESS!..................too me, at least. But, alas, I couldn't afford to spend that kind of money at the time, nor now! But if I could have, I surely would have!

Childhood memories + Extremely nice condition = Happiness!

April 4th, 2012, 10:16 pm #4

Is a 72 Rupp Hustler. The bottom bike is a 72 Speedway Blue Angel and more like a mini cycle with 14" wheels. Both have tecumseh 4 hp motors. Lots of fun....

Wife said no to powder guns so I have airguns. Wife said no to motorcycles so I have mini bikes. She's happy and so am I

Frank

April 5th, 2012, 12:45 am #5

..............and I "get it" with the wife as well!

Not a problem with my current wife, but it sure was with the "prior" one!

It just goes to prove my "point" that you can surely be happy with just about ANYTHING, if the condition and model appeal to you!

I am currently looking at a photo of a Suzuki GT 185, Japanese, twin cylinder, 2-stroke, 1975 model, MINT CONDITION, photo sitting on my desk as I write this...............At the time, I bought it for about $675 cash in Denver, and it had LESS than 575 original miles on it.................Not a speedster by any means..............but a quick, light, formidable 2-stroke engineered design of it's time, and it need not make ANY excuses for itself................

It is one of the FEW things that I DEEPLY regret selling..........

I've had a few "ok" things, a lot of "good things" and a "few great things" that I've owned.................

I've enjoyed most all..................

Regretted but a tiny few for selling..........

..........But "condition" has generally been the major "key" in almost all of those examples...................

...................with the "only" primary exception being "sentimental" value, as in guns "left to me" by my late father and Grandfather.........

.......................everything else........pales in comparison, 'cept for the few that seem to "represent" .................what the manufacturer seemed to take "pride" in..................at that time..........in space...........

I must admit.................I am SO GRATEFUL............that I was born in 1961 and was able to experience the things and hobbies that I was able to experience within my "time frame" so NO REGRETS.........in that parameter!

Sometimes................when all else fails............it's good to count your "blessings" that you have enjoyed.

April 5th, 2012, 4:06 am #6

I have a friend who collects, restores and rides old, Japanese motorcycles. Both he and I agree, that "condition" is the single-most important factor in enjoying ANY particular hobby.

As I have often told Bill, "I would rather have a mint condition, Honda 50 mini-trail, than a POS Honda 750 that's been repainted in flat-black, and made into a cafe-racer, and runs like crap."

I would rather have a "minty" Sheridan Blue Streak from 1975, than a beat to a pulp, FWB 124 with cracked stock, rust, weak spring, bad breach seals, and hand-painted, fluorescent front sights, etc.

I'm not saying everything always has to be perfect, but "too me" when push comes to shove, and with all else being equal, as long as an airgun is "original" or "restored to original specs" and looks as close to "new condition" as possible, that is the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT ASPECT, I can think of.

............doesn't matter if it's an old Red Ryder or a Benji 342, Sheridan Blue Streak or HW55 Tyrolean, but AS LONG AS THE CONDITION SPEAKS FOR ITSELF, I can get excited about just about ANYTHING within any given hobby!

Agree? Disagree?

Put another way, the "memory" of vintage ANYTHING, is primarily "enhanced" by it's condition of originality, just as it came from the factory to the showroom!

We see so much written about the importance of extreme accuracy, and I understand that aspect of the sport. But, what about the finite number of pristine condition examples of a given make and model? ie, the fact that someone, or many different "someone's" have taken such good CARE of said air rifle or pistol over so many decades? Hmm?

I guess it's just a quirk of mine.........."minty condition" examples of just about anything that brings back a fond memory, gets my attention immediately, even if it's not exactly my idea of what I would normally get too excited about.

Your thoughts?

I know its not a huge collectors piece, but I have a crosman 140 that is in very good original condition. There are very few signs of use you might say. Its very accurate and fun but honestly I don't shoot it that much and the reason is because its in such nice condition! I have another 140 that is also nice but a little more 'worn-in' and thats the one that I break out when I want to shoot one. Perfect condition is nice if I want to mostly look at something but I prefer to feel comfortable using an airgun, taking it out in the field. I don't have any big $ guns tho, all basically utilitarian I suppose

Girls on the other hand, I prefer to be in near pristine shape, and not so worn in when I take them out for a spin. So it depends on what we're talking about I suppose..

April 5th, 2012, 3:34 pm #7

Agree? Disagree?

Your thoughts?

important to me. I usually want something to be made up of the most factory parts possible.

Here is my childhood Honda 1973 KO XR75 , I restored using factory parts , the tank is original factory painted tank, that was a dealer take off and found in their loft as the business was selling out. I was lucky to find it. Rest of the bike is NOS , except seat which I keep inside /off the bike to protect it.

[/IMG]

April 5th, 2012, 3:40 pm #8

Agree? Disagree?

Your thoughts?

important to me. I usually want something to be made up of the most factory parts possible.

Here is my childhood Honda 1973 KO XR75 , I restored using factory parts , the tank is original factory painted tank, that was a dealer take off and found in their loft as the business was selling out. I was lucky to find it. Rest of the bike is NOS , except seat which I keep inside /off the bike to protect it.

[/IMG]

Maybe this is why I like Japanese airguns ..LoL

April 5th, 2012, 7:09 pm #9

Agree? Disagree?

Your thoughts?

Whilst I'm all in favour of ...perfection, the sanatized cleanliness of "newness" does nothing for me exept express a sameness as all the others were.
However ,show me some rust,wear,even to some extent missuse and my passion is aroused. This speaks to me of a life lived and to a degree an history beared witness to. Apart from which it makes me feel usefull! Nah gents it's the worn out for me!!!By the way frank those stocks are "to die for" I envy you! Cheers

April 5th, 2012, 11:16 pm #10

well said shaun, I agree. nt