I thought I would share my Diana 35M.......pic heavy

I thought I would share my Diana 35M.......pic heavy

January 17th, 2012, 4:24 am #1

I recently lucked onto a Diana 35 that I had never seen. I already owned one Diana 35 and thought I would add a second variation to my small collection. Mike tells me that my new one is a rare 35M. I took some pictures of both of them today and I thought I would share them with all of you. I will add details in another post. I am not much of a photographer but I did the best I could. All questions and comments are welcome!

Regards, Brad

January 17th, 2012, 4:46 am #2

I have had the standard 35 for a long time and it is my favorite airgun. It normally wears a Burris 6x Mini A/O scope. About once a year I put peep sights on here and remind myself how fast my eyes are failing. It is a very delightful airgun. It's not very heavy, easy to cock, very accurate with Superdomes, great trigger and not hold sensitive. What's not to love?

Here are a few specs on the two:

35: OAL=43.75" Bbl Length=18.875" Wt=6 lbs, 12 ozs. LOP=13.5"
35M: OAL=45.0" Bbl Length=19.625" Wt=7 lbs, 13 ozs. LOP=14.0"

A few more pics....

January 17th, 2012, 4:55 am #3

I recently lucked onto a Diana 35 that I had never seen. I already owned one Diana 35 and thought I would add a second variation to my small collection. Mike tells me that my new one is a rare 35M. I took some pictures of both of them today and I thought I would share them with all of you. I will add details in another post. I am not much of a photographer but I did the best I could. All questions and comments are welcome!

Regards, Brad

I thought I would add more pictures for those that have never seen one of these.

For those with a sharp eye.....the barrel on the standard 35 is not bent upwards. It is just an anomolie of my poor photography...lol.

Brad

January 17th, 2012, 3:41 pm #4

Actually a pair of very nice rifles. Thanks for sharing. I think your photography is just fine. I wish mine was that good.

Bob in WV

Never get in a hurry, it only slows you down.

January 17th, 2012, 4:09 pm #5

Regards, Brad

I wanted to bid on that one, I saw it this past fall as well. Still kicking myself !
Thanks for all the detailed pictures. What is that big brass disk on the right side of the stock, some kind of recoil bolt, or place to engrave something?
dave

January 17th, 2012, 6:04 pm #6

Actually a pair of very nice rifles. Thanks for sharing. I think your photography is just fine. I wish mine was that good.

Bob in WV

Never get in a hurry, it only slows you down.
I should really buy a better camera or a tripod or something.

I adhere to the "spray and pray" method.

I take LOTS of photos and just delete the worst of them later....lol.

I have tried to take them inside and they look awful.

I just wait for overcast days and do several.

I photographed 16 guns yesterday.....lol

Thanks again.

Regards, Brad

January 17th, 2012, 6:14 pm #7

I wanted to bid on that one, I saw it this past fall as well. Still kicking myself !
Thanks for all the detailed pictures. What is that big brass disk on the right side of the stock, some kind of recoil bolt, or place to engrave something?
dave
Is some sort of engravable plate. It looks like it has been there since the gun was new. It is thin and neatly inlayed into the stock.

Perhaps the gun was intended as a prize for a competition or something.

I really hope some of the more educated folks will chime in about the gun's history.

It does have very cool sights as well.

The front sight has rotatable inserts. Just turning a knob while pushing a keeper allows you to choose from four different front sights. A standard globe and inserts would be more practical but this one is very cool.

The rear sight is not only a peep but also an open sight as well.

I suggest you do a search for Mike Driskill's great post on Diana 50's. That post illustrates these exact sights much better than I can.

Regards, Brad

January 17th, 2012, 7:16 pm #8

Regards, Brad

It looks to be in amazingly good condition. There don't seem to be many of them around. I love the elaborate chequering. Here is an ad for it from the 1960 Akah brochure. I'm still waiting to see one of these with a walnut stock - or any other post-War Diana (bar the match rifles) come to that!

------------------------------<p>
The Vintage Diana Forum </p><p>The Vintage BSA Forum
</p>

January 17th, 2012, 8:01 pm #9

I also appreciate the picture you posted.

Do you have any idea how old these guns are? Neither of them have the date stamp.

By the way, I do have the correct sights for the standard 35. I just removed them for squirrel season this year. The plastic Truglo sight on the front offends the purist in me, but WOW it sure is easier to see when looking for tree rats. The rear peep is a Mendoza. While not an original setup, it works as well as I can see! As I said earlier, she normally wears a Burris gloss finished 6x Mini A/O scope with a fine duplex reticle in Burris steel rimfire rings. I wish my eyes were what they used to be because I do like the looks of a peep on this gun better than a scope.

I think it is a little sad to own beautifully made rifles like the old Diana and not actually USE them. I put probably 6000 to 8000 rounds a year through the standard 35. It is the least hold sensitive gun I have ever shot. If I miss, it was me....not her. Such a shame they don't still make these trim sporters any more.

My seven year old boy shoots a Diana (Hy-Score) 23 in .22 with a 6x Bug Buster on it. My eleven year old boy shoots a Diana 24 J with a Leupold 2-7 on it lately. My wife prefers my old Winchester (Diana) 425 D in .22 with a Leupold 2-7 scope. We are a family of Diana lovers!! I am blessed to also own Weihrauch's, BSA's, Webleys and others.....but when we all go out to shoot, the Diana's are what we prefer most often.

Regards, Brad

January 17th, 2012, 8:28 pm #10

model was first produced with the elaborate chequering but a basic version of the model was on sale during 1953, according to the Akah catalog of that date. Here is a scan of that 1953 catalog, followed by two pages from the 1954 catalog.

You can also have a look through this literature for mentions of the post-War mods 35.

------------------------------<p>
The Vintage Diana Forum </p><p>The Vintage BSA Forum
</p>