Diana 27 replacement spring??

Diana 27 replacement spring??

July 8th, 2012, 3:51 pm #1

I just tore open my newly acquired RWS 27 from 1981 to see internal condition as it relates to slow velocity. Shooting in the mid 400s in 177. Looks to have been lubed inside, and has a piston seal that looks perfect. The spring however has many bends in it. Does anyone sell the stock spring, as I think that would be best. From the searches the best JM sounds like the Merlin XL, or maybe the E3650. I really wanted to stay with .110 wire for a stock feel, and smooth easy cocking. Max power not important, but I felt it should shoot a bit faster than my other light powered plinkers; perhaps 600-625fps. Any advice appreciated.

July 8th, 2012, 5:08 pm #2

has the spring and seals, I just received mine, but haven't installed them yet.

Pacific Airgun Expo
email: pae@pacificairgunexpo.com

July 8th, 2012, 5:14 pm #3

I went to their site and it said to call. That was my next move. Is the spring from Diana in Germany? Could I trouble you for the dimensions of their replacement spring? My seals look great.
Thanks

July 8th, 2012, 7:00 pm #4

Hi Steve, I have a Winchester 427 that also needed to be rebuilt. After asking around I settled on my tuning buddys JM Merlin xl which is the square shaped wire. The other thing Im having is the cylinder honed because it was found out of round by 3.5 thous. So Im going for the adapter and Synthetic seal from Vortek for this. There is also possible room for spacing too. Please let us know how yours turns out and I will do the same.They are a 1" bore in the cylinder. Anna is the one to talk to at Umarex if you go with the stock spring.

July 8th, 2012, 7:24 pm #5

Thanks CV. I am planning to call Umarex also. Sent an email to JM. Probably will hear that the Merlin is best. The Titan from Chambers is .111 wire which is pretty much stock, but with less coils. I have never done business with them, and I would bet that the JM product is superior. I just wanted as close to the original feel and specs as I could get.
After you get the receiver honed, what is wrong with the leather seal? I like them, and like what I read about them. It seems you should be fine with the tube squared up. Getting them up to specs and running smooth is as much fun as shooting.

July 9th, 2012, 3:05 am #6

I would have stayed with a new leather seal but since it needed the honing switching to a synthetic will give it alittle more power over leather and a permanent moly lube .I think the hone gives a crosshatch finish wich favors holding the lubes while the leather self polishes smooth so you need to add silicon and neatsfoot oil now and then. JM may not be feeling up to emails right now,I think he has some medical attentions to take care of. That Merlin XL may be the closest and better alternative.