Daisy 717

Daisy 717

February 19th, 2012, 1:23 pm #1

Is the Daisy line of target pistols such as the Model 717 or 777 made in America or are these imports of European manufacturers?

February 19th, 2012, 4:37 pm #2

Yes they are made here, though the 747 and 777 had Lothar Walther barrels I believe.

Outstanding guns for the money, too!

ZVP

February 21st, 2012, 9:39 pm #3

Is the Daisy line of target pistols such as the Model 717 or 777 made in America or are these imports of European manufacturers?
<p> Like Mike said the LW bbl is mounted on the  premium model but the basic model is no slouch in the accuracy dept either!</p><p> The trigger on the base model is non adjustable but the 747 is. It's worth it to spring for the upgraded model if possible. The internals, frame andthe whole powerplant are identical between the models.</p><p> Be aware this is a pure target pistol and velocities are between 360 to390fps but the secret is the consistancy! Often the spread is read out in single digits and if it gets into multiples, you are maybe looking at 12 to 14 fps maximum. That is a real loose setimate too as most of the 717's and 747's are super consistant.</p><p> The Pistol isn't very pellet fussy but common sense dictates the use of lighter weight pellets and most likely a W/C is advisable to ensure clean cut holes. A ffine alternative is the H&N or Beeman H/P which has a sharp sholder to cut paper neatly and their light weight is a speedy trick.</p><p> My personal 717  was bought used and looks like it was used to pound nails with! The trigger is worn-in so smooth that you swear that you just think, and the sear breaks! The stock Daisy barrel loves the old Gamo Match and the old Daisy Max Speed W/c's. These both are out of production and I will likely stick to H&N H/P's.</p><p> 
 Operationis simple and cocking force is low on the pneumatic mechanisim. You can literally sit and shoot hundreds of pellets without measureabl uncomfort. LOng shooting sessions seem to be begged for with these big pistols. Oh yea size? the 717 is a large pistol but not heavy and the anotomic grips aid in balanceing the long barrel!</p><p> Overall Daisy got this one just right from the first pistol and the proof is in the pudding as this model is still popular and totally unchanged from the origonals!</p><p> The 717/747 is a "Must Have" for any serious airgunner!</p><p> ZVP</p>

February 25th, 2012, 1:13 am #4

Picked up the one that was on Brads site earlier this week.

Looking forward to givin' 'er a good run.

February 26th, 2012, 4:08 pm #5

My own 717 is an example of how much can be done with the basic big market version.
One of my best friends was a production engineer involved with the original project at Daisy. He installed one of the Walther barrels and worked over the trigger for me and provided a set of the walnut grips rejected for a small piece of wood broken off of the bottom of one of the grip panels. It retains the plastic rear sight of the base model but is deady accurate nonetheless. A LOT more accurate than the operator! Tom

February 27th, 2012, 2:35 am #6

<p> Like Mike said the LW bbl is mounted on the  premium model but the basic model is no slouch in the accuracy dept either!</p><p> The trigger on the base model is non adjustable but the 747 is. It's worth it to spring for the upgraded model if possible. The internals, frame andthe whole powerplant are identical between the models.</p><p> Be aware this is a pure target pistol and velocities are between 360 to390fps but the secret is the consistancy! Often the spread is read out in single digits and if it gets into multiples, you are maybe looking at 12 to 14 fps maximum. That is a real loose setimate too as most of the 717's and 747's are super consistant.</p><p> The Pistol isn't very pellet fussy but common sense dictates the use of lighter weight pellets and most likely a W/C is advisable to ensure clean cut holes. A ffine alternative is the H&N or Beeman H/P which has a sharp sholder to cut paper neatly and their light weight is a speedy trick.</p><p> My personal 717  was bought used and looks like it was used to pound nails with! The trigger is worn-in so smooth that you swear that you just think, and the sear breaks! The stock Daisy barrel loves the old Gamo Match and the old Daisy Max Speed W/c's. These both are out of production and I will likely stick to H&N H/P's.</p><p> 
 Operationis simple and cocking force is low on the pneumatic mechanisim. You can literally sit and shoot hundreds of pellets without measureabl uncomfort. LOng shooting sessions seem to be begged for with these big pistols. Oh yea size? the 717 is a large pistol but not heavy and the anotomic grips aid in balanceing the long barrel!</p><p> Overall Daisy got this one just right from the first pistol and the proof is in the pudding as this model is still popular and totally unchanged from the origonals!</p><p> The 717/747 is a "Must Have" for any serious airgunner!</p><p> ZVP</p>
Great answers.I will keep a look out for one.

February 29th, 2012, 3:57 am #7

Picked up the one that was on Brads site earlier this week.

Looking forward to givin' 'er a good run.
Let me know how it shoots when you try it out. Don

March 3rd, 2012, 2:07 am #8

I am the 2nd owner.

Only with very close inspection could I tell this 717 had ever been used.
Original shots were a bit disappointing. Accuracy and velocity (high=405, low=349fps).
(most shots were 390-401, with one in five dropping 15-30 fps, with the 349 the extreme low)

Opened it this morning;
Polished the sear and trigger contact points, reduced trigger pull by 1/3
Cleaned the barrel, patches say it needed it.
Found some bits of casting flashing on the valve o-ring seal, cleaned.
Lubed and reassembled, and adjusted piston per the manual, 1"

Velocity,
RWS Miesterkugeln 7.0gr, avg 407fps es 8fps, 20 shots
RWS Basic 7.1 gr (weighed) avg 399.3 es 6fps, 10 shots
With a bit more break-in, the ES may improve.

The piston head has a casting ridge about 1/32" high that could be machined off to perhaps improve these numbers. I dont have the tools to do properly, and with these #'s,I would probably be better off leaving well enough alone.

Accuracy seems good, a few flyers, maybe 1 in 15 shots, probably the pellets.,(couldnt be the shooter

March 10th, 2012, 7:59 pm #9

I suspect that with a sacrificial tube and lapping compound, you might realize another 10..the match between those two large discs is critical. I've never tried quad rings in the 7x7 series, but they tend to fill the grove better than a round section o-ring.

Lock time can be noticeably reduced by skeletonizing the lockwork..but it's pot metal, so be conservative.

ZVP

March 13th, 2012, 6:50 am #10

<p> Carefull adjusting of the Piston really helps with consistancy and guarentees good preformance. Just follow the Factory's advice and you'll find the procedure simple.</p><p> It's funny how perfect the  good origonal design was , that NO important changes have been made over the decades rither to modernize or improve preformance or accuracy has been made! Daisy got it so right that nothing has been necessary! There are literally only a small handfull airguns has had such a distinction. They were so perfect, why change a thing?
 Simplicity and good solid engineering was the secret!</p><p> What a long running  production success the 7XX series has been! Way to go Daisy!</p><p> ZVP</p>