Crosman 108 Town & Country

Crosman 108 Town & Country

February 9th, 2016, 9:20 pm #1

There was a 108 for sale on an online auction last week, I will have it in a few days. I think I got a pretty good deal. Surface rust on the steel parts and it needs seals. The price was right, so I jumped on it. I am gathering all the information I can on this gun. I have resealed several old Crosmans and from what I have read so far, this one should be a pretty straightforward job. I would like to hear from anyone who has worked on one of these. Can't wait to get it in my hands, I think it will be the gem of my Crosman collection.

February 10th, 2016, 12:44 pm #2

All the innards the same as 105/106, 109/110, 111-118, 120

There's a tendency for the bolt handle to fly up when shot. I put a dab of super heavy grease (some sort of spring goo) on the bolt end and the handle was then "on glide" and wouldn't budge when shot.

My first vintage airgun purchase was, entirely by chance, a model 107. It was in great overall condition but the finish was flakey so I stripped it down to the brass and polished it using Flitz polish (the only polish to use, since it will not tarnish with time) Of course, doing this today would be a sin but I didn't know what it was that I had and frankly didn't care. That 107 was one of the best shooting guns I've ever owned. But, overall, I think the entire 105-120 series are as a group great shooters.

Be sure to post some pictures when it arrives. Include all markings. It's possible sometimes to tell the difference between a Rochester and a later Fairport made gun. Can also tell if it ever went back to the factory for repair. These old Crosmans often have a story to tell.

February 19th, 2016, 2:31 am #3

The gun looks to be in good shape, even the factory finish on wood and metal. Has a roll pin in the front pivot, I don't think that is original. Ditto the rear sight bridge screw. No markings on the receiver, only Crosman mark is on the butt plate. Stock has two matching numbers, "645" inside the pump arm cut.

I plan to gently clean the rusted steel parts and try and shine up the dull areas on the wood. If it shoots as well as my 110 after getting new seals I will be more than happy with it.

February 19th, 2016, 3:10 pm #4

Let us know how it shoots when you get the old girl back up and running.

Bob in WV

February 20th, 2016, 1:58 am #5

The gun looks to be in good shape, even the factory finish on wood and metal. Has a roll pin in the front pivot, I don't think that is original. Ditto the rear sight bridge screw. No markings on the receiver, only Crosman mark is on the butt plate. Stock has two matching numbers, "645" inside the pump arm cut.

I plan to gently clean the rusted steel parts and try and shine up the dull areas on the wood. If it shoots as well as my 110 after getting new seals I will be more than happy with it.

Looks like a 1949 gun. Be very careful with that buttplate. These are easily and often cracked and damaged from setting them down on a hard surface.

You are right, the roll pin and sight screw are wrong. The originals had a two piece pump pivot made from brass with a screw. Screw easily came loose and ended up damaged. Very difficult to find original replacements.

The original sight screw was a large head knurled type that you might be able to find with some effort. Same screw was used on the 1949 101/100 models.

Overall great shape.

Are you aware of the dual sight system? Loosen the front sight nut and back off the sight which then is rotated out of the way to use the lower front sight with the peep. Pretty neat system and unique to this model, as I recall.

February 21st, 2016, 4:01 pm #6

Lovely solid all-metal quality.

Two questions, Terry. What is the screw-in piece and knurled locking ring at the muzzle? And may I re-use your pics in my vintage gallery, please?

February 21st, 2016, 4:08 pm #7

There was a 108 for sale on an online auction last week, I will have it in a few days. I think I got a pretty good deal. Surface rust on the steel parts and it needs seals. The price was right, so I jumped on it. I am gathering all the information I can on this gun. I have resealed several old Crosmans and from what I have read so far, this one should be a pretty straightforward job. I would like to hear from anyone who has worked on one of these. Can't wait to get it in my hands, I think it will be the gem of my Crosman collection.
I sold this Crosman 107 in March/2015 to one of the forum members.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/426026/m ... +to+%24300

Ejwills.

February 21st, 2016, 4:27 pm #8

Lovely solid all-metal quality.

Two questions, Terry. What is the screw-in piece and knurled locking ring at the muzzle? And may I re-use your pics in my vintage gallery, please?

Danny, see Dean's post above for description of the dual front sight. Also if you look closely at the rear sight you'll see it's a combi open / peep affair - hence for "town" shooting you might use the peep with the high front sight to punch paper, and in the "country" the open rear with low front blade to hunt critters.

February 21st, 2016, 4:45 pm #9

I didn't read Dean's post properly and thought he was referring to the rear sight. So that's what 'town and country' means. Very ingenious!

February 24th, 2016, 2:42 am #10

I can appreciate that rifle. Very classy. For my part, the closest I have is a "kissin-cousin", 120 with brass barrel.