Atlas BB Gun

Atlas BB Gun

June 9th, 2012, 1:05 am #1

Hi,

New to the site and far from a collector of air guns, but I do have some interest now that I found this site and read some threads. I originally was trying to find some information online regarding an Atlas BB gun and stumbled upon this forum. I found an older thread that did have some information on the same model Atlas I was looking for information on. Here are some photos:
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

How would you rate the condition and what kind of value would you give this?

Thanks and look forward to reading more of the threads about the various BB guns!

June 9th, 2012, 1:51 am #2

First: gun is in excellent condition. Do not refinish in any way.

This model is different than what is pictured in the Blue Book of air guns. The Atlas pictured there does not have the loading sleeve on the barrel. I have a couple of Atlas BB guns and, if memory serves, they don't have a loading sleeve either. My guess is that this would be an earlier, undocumented, version. Dates to circa 1900.

Value? If the Blue Book is right then $1000 plus to the right buyer. Thing is, it's sort of hard to follow current prices on the antique BB guns because there really is no visible market. Most are locked away in collections and never see the light of day. The guy who might have a better idea than most would be Wes Powers.

My guess? A nice Atlas like yours is worth at least $500. Being a rare model, add another $200-$300. So, $700 - $800 easy.

June 9th, 2012, 3:19 am #3

Welcome to the forum, Fallsflight!

Well I'm not a 'collector' either, except for a collection of 2 Crosmans, but I have to say: that's gotta be one of the coolest looking BB guns or air rifles I ever laid eyes on! Extraordinary, gorgeous lines, the designer certainly had a keen eye for proportion and balance. Now I'll have to study up to find out what the heck it is. Thanks for showing it!

June 9th, 2012, 10:19 pm #4

First: gun is in excellent condition. Do not refinish in any way.

This model is different than what is pictured in the Blue Book of air guns. The Atlas pictured there does not have the loading sleeve on the barrel. I have a couple of Atlas BB guns and, if memory serves, they don't have a loading sleeve either. My guess is that this would be an earlier, undocumented, version. Dates to circa 1900.

Value? If the Blue Book is right then $1000 plus to the right buyer. Thing is, it's sort of hard to follow current prices on the antique BB guns because there really is no visible market. Most are locked away in collections and never see the light of day. The guy who might have a better idea than most would be Wes Powers.

My guess? A nice Atlas like yours is worth at least $500. Being a rare model, add another $200-$300. So, $700 - $800 easy.
Thanks for the information! Good to at least have an idea as to the condition and value. Thanks again.

June 9th, 2012, 10:22 pm #5

Welcome to the forum, Fallsflight!

Well I'm not a 'collector' either, except for a collection of 2 Crosmans, but I have to say: that's gotta be one of the coolest looking BB guns or air rifles I ever laid eyes on! Extraordinary, gorgeous lines, the designer certainly had a keen eye for proportion and balance. Now I'll have to study up to find out what the heck it is. Thanks for showing it!
Thanks for the compliment. I think it's a different and nice looking BB gun also. (from what little I know on BB guns) It doesn't seem like there is a tremendous amount of information online regarding the Atlas company and the BB guns they made. Maybe I just have looked hard enough yet.

June 10th, 2012, 7:06 am #6

Thanks for the information! Good to at least have an idea as to the condition and value. Thanks again.
The Blue Book of Airguns covers the Atlas company pretty well, as far as we know. There has been little real work in the history of these early BB gun cos.
What you have is a model that is not described in the Blue Book, as far as I can tell. You might want to get a copy to back this up. Certainly adds collector value. Braggin' rights.

June 10th, 2012, 7:31 am #7

Just in case you didn't know. There is this one day show in Kalamazoo, MI where they have a Daisy Get Together. It's August 19,2012 Kalamazoo County Fairgrounds. $3 Open to public. That would be the place to take your gun from the guys who collect these things. There isn't much internet presence on these guns.

June 10th, 2012, 2:03 pm #8

Dean is right, there will be several guys at the Kalamazoo show that would be interested in your gun. I know there will be at least 4 other Atlas guns at the show. The Atlas company guns are covered very well in Arni Dunathans book The American BB Gun. I have the book for sale and they will also be at the Kalamazoo show for sale. Your gun is a single shot and the sleve on the barrel is not original. Most likely a repair to a crack or split. If you would like a flyer to the show please let me know at wespowers@comcast.net

oldcoot
Site Admin
oldcoot
Site Admin

June 10th, 2012, 4:29 pm #9

June 11th, 2012, 1:34 am #10

Dean is right, there will be several guys at the Kalamazoo show that would be interested in your gun. I know there will be at least 4 other Atlas guns at the show. The Atlas company guns are covered very well in Arni Dunathans book The American BB Gun. I have the book for sale and they will also be at the Kalamazoo show for sale. Your gun is a single shot and the sleve on the barrel is not original. Most likely a repair to a crack or split. If you would like a flyer to the show please let me know at wespowers@comcast.net
The sleeve on the barrel of this Atlas looks to me like a loading sleeve, if that's what it is then it should be covering a loading port. If that's what it is, what I wrote before stands up. If it's a repair, as Wes thinkgs (and he knows better than I on these things) then the value plummets.